Prop 8 Revisited

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Dick Harmon on Rise and Fall of BYU Athletics

Post by KingCoug »

The gay issue has been great sifter in the Church in recent years. Prop 8 was only the beginning of that. We've seen members lose their testimony, assuming they ever had one to begin with, over this issue. It's like they've were asleep every time the Plan of Salvation was taught in church, were unaware of both ancient scripture and modern day teachings on the matter, or have never gotten around to reading the Proclamation on the Family. Or perhaps simply decided to let go of the iron rod and take their place in the great and spacious building.

I have both an aunt and a friend who this happened to. My aunt left the Church, walked out on a 25+ year marriage, attempted suicide at least twice, and spends much of her time ranting on Facebook or elsewhere about the Church, the gay issue, or whatever. By their fruits he shall know them indeed. My friend, who I've known for over 30 years, served a mission to Brazil and was always a solid guy. He's a husband and father. I'm not sure what got him off track but he says the gay issue is one of his gripes against the Church. I wonder if he ever really had any understanding of things or was just going through the motions all that time. Those types of members seem to be the most easily swayed to the thinking of the world on the gay issue. They don't understand the Restored Gospel, much less believe in it.

And honestly, who cares if Prop 8 hardened people against the Church? If you're upsetting the kind if people who did get upset, you're probably doing something right. I'm glad the Church has taken such a strong stand on this issue. And it's not the Church's fault that 5 liberal activist judges, with barely hidden contempt for the Constitution, decided to overstep their bounds and overrule the will of the people in most states.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

The church actively campaigning may have escalated the issue that homosexuals have against the church but anyone who thinks that they would have left us alone if we hadn't campaigned for prop 8 are naïve at best. The LGBT movement is a 100% war on religion and ours would have not been an exception.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:21 am The church actively campaigning may have escalated the issue that homosexuals have against the church but anyone who thinks that they would have left us alone if we hadn't campaigned for prop 8 are naïve at best. The LGBT movement is a 100% war on religion and ours would have not been an exception.
True, the LBGT community generally is hostile to religion, and Conservative politics - which most Christian religion is. Not always, but mostly.

It's not about being naive, it's not about caving to the LBGT community, nor is it about not having standards. It's about dealing with political realities. The reality is BYU football wanted to get into the Big 12. The LBGT community mobilized against that effort in a big way in response to the public stand the LDS church took in the Prop 8 fight. There are unintended consequences to choices we make. Not being allowed into the Big 12 is one of those unintended consequences. The reality is, football swims in a political world. All sports swim in a political world. BYU and the Church have to navigate in that world. Standards can be maintained. But, why make enemies when you can make friends?

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

The Church got involved in politics. That was it's mistake. Let's not confuse doctrine with policy. The two are separate. To assume the Church, an earthly organization ran by imperfect individuals, never makes mistakes is extremely naive.

All one has to do is look at the Church's financial history to see all sorts of mistakes.

As for people going inactive because of the Church's policy towards homosexuals, I feel for them. Questioning their testimonies or accusing them of never having one seems awfully judgemental. There are real feelings there and dismissing them is a defensive response, not an empathetic response. We tend to treat those that aren't as active as we expect them to be rather horribly. The initial emotional response is betrayal, so we shun and scorn those struggling with their testimonies. Then 6 months later the "inactive" family ends up on a list, there's an edict at ward council, cookies are baked and rejected, and we wonder why...

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Gunk wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:04 pm The Church got involved in politics. That was it's mistake. Let's not confuse doctrine with policy. The two are separate. To assume the Church, an earthly organization ran by imperfect individuals, never makes mistakes is extremely naive.

All one has to do is look at the Church's financial history to see all sorts of mistakes.

As for people going inactive because of the Church's policy towards homosexuals, I feel for them. Questioning their testimonies or accusing them of never having one seems awfully judgemental. There are real feelings there and dismissing them is a defensive response, not an empathetic response. We tend to treat those that aren't as active as we expect them to be rather horribly. The initial emotional response is betrayal, so we shun and scorn those struggling with their testimonies. Then 6 months later the "inactive" family ends up on a list, there's an edict at ward council, cookies are baked and rejected, and we wonder why...
I have two gay brothers so I'm no stranger to this issue. On an individual basis, I have a lot of sympathy for those in the Church with SSA (one of the hardest trials I imagine) and the utmost respect for those that remain faithful. Generally speaking, I have nothing but contempt for the so called "LGBT agenda."

That said, you can call it "judgemental" or whatever you want but the fact is there are members or former members who have thrown their beliefs out the window and apostatized (my crazy aunt calls it a "faith transition") over a rather ridiculous reason. The common theme seems to be a clear lack of understanding of the Gospel and why homosexual behavior is not a part of that. It seems like many of them failed to learn what they should have and they were easy pickings for the adversary and philosophies of men. Then there are others who, having family members or friends who are gay, have been duped into thinking they had to renounce the Church to be loyal to their family or friends. Reminds me of the scripture "He that loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."

As for Prop 8, I'll stick with the Bretheren over board posters who care too much what the world thinks.

And as I said before, I'm not convinced the gay issue was as big of an issue for the BIG 12 as some are assuming.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Prop 8 seems like a big mistake, looking back. Very little benefit, huge cost. Church forays into politics don't always turn out well. Neither does confusing Utah culture with LDS Doctrine.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Mars wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:54 pm Prop 8 seems like a big mistake, looking back. Very little benefit, huge cost. Church forays into politics don't always turn out well. Neither does confusing Utah culture with LDS Doctrine.
What cost? Seriously? Because you think it was a public relations snafu? Those who it upset were the ones the Church shouldn't be trying to please in the first place. And you know full well that the Church only gets involved on certain moral issues when it comes to politics. I'm not sure what you mean about "confusing Utah culture with LDS Doctrine" on this topic.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

I read what you all are saying and understand that looking back Prop 8 hurt the Church in many ways. But I am not prepared to say it was a mistake because I don’t know all the reasons God’s servants felt to do what they did. Of course God’s servants make mistakes. There is only one perfect person whoever graced this earth. And perhaps their decision to participate in Prop 8 was an instance in which the Lord let His servants fail, perhaps to learn from it? I don’t know. I believe our participation in Prop 8 does not change the way the forces of a materialistic and secular world treat and view us. They despise our faith, our values and our doctrine. Had we stayed silent on Prop 8, that revilement would not be different. I guess what I’m trying to say is I very much respect your views, I just think we should not label what the brethren collectively do as stupid or a mistake. PS I understand that many of you object to the Church getting involved in politics. Do you mean elections? Almost everything today is politicized in one or more ways. When someone wants to pass a law affecting something of doctrinal import, how can the Church not be involved? The mere teaching of its members to uphold the family will be viewed as negatively by some as Prop 8. Well I’ll get off my soapbox. Thanks for listening.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I would argue that the people Prop 8 hurt the most were Mormons. And I would further argue that the Church costing many of it's own members their faith is a bad thing.

The greatest teaching of the Church is Love, but the greatest motivator of Prop 8 seemed to be Fear. That's my own opinion. I think un-Christlike actions will always result in negative repercussions, and that afterwards, neither those negative actions nor repercussions should be celebrated.

The Church is perfect. Its members, its leaders, and especially its culture is not. Occasionally far from it. As with Race and the Priesthood, this is a message that we must continually re-learn, again and again.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Mars wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:59 pm I would argue that the people Prop 8 hurt the most were Mormons. And I would further argue that the Church costing many of it's own members their faith is a bad thing.

The greatest teaching of the Church is Love, but the greatest motivator of Prop 8 seemed to be Fear. That's my own opinion. I think un-Christlike actions will always result in negative repercussions, and that afterwards, neither those negative actions nor repercussions should be celebrated.

The Church is perfect. Its members, its leaders, and especially its culture is not. Occasionally far from it. As with Race and the Priesthood, this is a message that we must continually re-learn, again and again.
The Church "costing many of its own members their faith?" What a bunch of hogwash. The responsibility for anyone who's lost their testimony and left the Church because of such a stupid issue is solely on them. There was nothing "Un-Christlike" about Prop 8 and the Church has bent over backwards to reach out to gays. But the stance of most gays is that they want nothing to do with the Church or only on the condition that it changes it's doctrine. As if that's the prerogative of the Bretheren.

Furthermore, if I'm reading between the lines of your post correctly, and the fact that you bring up the oft-used false parallel between the Priesthood ban and homosexuality, I have to wonder if you're one of these delusional types in the Church who thinks there's nothing wrong with homosexual behavior, the Church is mistaken on the issue, and you're just waiting for the Church to come around. And you use misuse the concept of love as a basis for all of it. The spiritually immature often pit love against obedience.