Congress may finally stop one of the (many) unjust wars.

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Congress may finally stop one of the (many) unjust wars.

Post by jvquarterback »

So a vote has been pushed back to Nov 2 to end US involvement in the Saudi led war against Yemen. Though not as direct as the US led embargoes of Iraq that led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children in the 1990s, US involvement in the Yemeni wars over the past five years has led to the empowerment of Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula and another half million Yemeni children face starvation and widening cholera outbreaks.

A bipartisan attempt to stop the presidents of the US to continue the war - H. CON. RES. 81 - will be voted on the beginning of next month.

Call or email you congressman to stop this madness and the usurpation of the power of congress by the executive in declaring war.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Congress may finally stop one of the (many) unjust wars.

Post by BlueK »

There is legislation introduced that would keep the president from being able to launch a first strike nuclear attack without the authorization of Congress. Maybe it's mostly symbolic, in that it's hard to imagine there ever being a need for a first strike nuclear attack, but these days with the president we have in office you never know. Nevertheless, the Constitution very clearly states it is Congress who declares war and not the president, so I support the idea that the president shouldn't be able to unilaterally start a nuclear war.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BlueK wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:10 pm There is legislation introduced that would keep the president from being able to launch a first strike nuclear attack without the authorization of Congress. Maybe it's mostly symbolic, in that it's hard to imagine there ever being a need for a first strike nuclear attack, but these days with the president we have in office you never know. Nevertheless, the Constitution very clearly states it is Congress who declares war and not the president, so I support the idea that the president shouldn't be able to unilaterally start a nuclear war.
BlueK, I agree that authorization should come from congress. But I don't think Trump is any more of a threat than past presidents.

Take Obama for example. The dude most definitely would have launched a nuclear attack, but only if he was sure he could do it without looking like he did it.
Trump, he just doesn't care and will tell you what he's thinking.

I personally find Trump to be the more predictable president. When was the last time the USA didn't have a psycho as president?

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

BroncoBot wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:35 pm
BlueK wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:10 pm There is legislation introduced that would keep the president from being able to launch a first strike nuclear attack without the authorization of Congress. Maybe it's mostly symbolic, in that it's hard to imagine there ever being a need for a first strike nuclear attack, but these days with the president we have in office you never know. Nevertheless, the Constitution very clearly states it is Congress who declares war and not the president, so I support the idea that the president shouldn't be able to unilaterally start a nuclear war.
BlueK, I agree that authorization should come from congress. But I don't think Trump is any more of a threat than past presidents.

Take Obama for example. The dude most definitely would have launched a nuclear attack, but only if he was sure he could do it without looking like he did it.

I personally find Trump to be the more predictable president. When was the last time the USA didn't have a psycho as president?
I'm with you BBot.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Who did Obama want to launch a nuclear strike against?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

And while we're into wild theories, i think Steve Bannon is trying to set the stage for becoming dictator of America in about 12 years or so.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BlueK wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:36 pm And while we're into wild theories, i think Steve Bannon is trying to set the stage for becoming dictator of America in about 12 years or so.
This is becoming quite the rabbit hole for you, isn't it?

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BlueK wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:18 pm

Who did Obama want to launch a nuclear strike against?
Exactly.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

An update on this. The rules committee stripped the privileged status of this resolution so it looks like it may never get to a vote like it should have. Basically the US can bomb a country and certain foolish high level congressmen can just say that isn't an act of war so northrup and raytheon can sell a few more bombs.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

jvquarterback wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:34 am An update on this. The rules committee stripped the privileged status of this resolution so it looks like it may never get to a vote like it should have.
They're afraid it will offend Trump if it passes. That's why.