BYU announces caffeinated beverages will be served on campus and at games

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU announces caffeinated beverages will be served on campus and at games

Post by hawkwing »

And yes, this includes BYU sporting events.

The drought is over!

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Re: BYU announces caffeinated beverages will be served on campus and at games

Post by hawkwing »

From the Q&A...
Q&A About Caffeinated Soft Drinks

With BYU Dining Services’ decision to offer caffeinated soft drinks on BYU’s campus, Dean Wright, director of Dining Services, answered some questions about this change:

Q: When did Dining Services make the decision not to sell caffeinated soft drinks?
A: In the mid 1950s, the director of BYU Food Services decided not to sell caffeinated soft drinks. This decision has continued on since that time. Until more recently, Dining Services rarely received requests for caffeinated soda. Consumer preferences have clearly changed and requests have become much more frequent.

Q: Has the university been supportive of this decision?
A: Yes, the Administrative Vice President has been supportive and has kept the President’s Council informed.

Q: When will this change go into effect?
A: We have already started adding caffeinated soft drinks to the inventory of beverages we sell on campus. Although we are now offering canned and bottled caffeinated soft drinks, it will take longer to change out our fountain equipment.

Q: In changing out the fountain machines, will BYU be able to get the new “freestyle” dispensers?
A: We will provide the latest dispensing equipment at certain locations on campus.

Q: Will Dining Services continue to provide caffeine-free soda?
A: Yes. All of the soft drinks, and other beverages, that BYU currently provides will continue to be offered.

Q: Are you going to sell energy drinks?
A: Highly-caffeinated energy drinks will not be sold by Dining Services.

Q: There are those who would say that Dining Services should not be offering soda at all? How do you respond to these concerns?
A: We realize that there are many choices to be made, and some are more nutritious than others. We strive to offer a variety of food choices and encourage our customers to make healthy choices. We encourage our patrons to visit the Dining Services website where a program is available to promote not only healthy eating, but also a healthy lifestyle. The program is referred to on the website as EAT: Eat, Act, Think.

Q: Does this change your contract with Coca-Cola?
A: No. We have notified Coca-Cola of this change, and our business relationship will continue as before.

Q: Was this decision financially motivated?
A: This decision was not based on financial considerations. We are simply working to meet the preferences of our customers.

Q: Can other vendors now sell caffeinated soft drinks on campus?
A: Just as before, our contract is with Coca-Cola. It is very important that we abide by this contract, which permits us to only offer Coca-Cola products. There are few, limited exceptions; however, it would be a violation of that contract to allow others to come onto campus and sell competing products.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

I wonder if the day will come when there is beer on tap in the student cafeteria, a la Tulane.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

When I was at BYU-I the business management majors had a mandatory course where we had to set up our own student-run business during a semester. One of the other teams sold hot chocolate on campus and had some of those flavored syrups that you can add to it. Well, someone complained that some of those syrups had caffeine and that they were associated with coffee so they had to stop using the syrups. :roll:

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:19 am I wonder if the day will come when there is beer on tap in the student cafeteria, a la Tulane.
I assume this is tongue on cheek as beer is obviously against the Word of Wisdom while caffeinated drinks aren't necessarily against it.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:19 am I wonder if the day will come when there is beer on tap in the student cafeteria, a la Tulane.
Do you really though?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

KingCoug wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:46 am
I assume this is tongue on cheek as beer is obviously against the Word of Wisdom while caffeinated drinks aren't necessarily against it.
Not only are they not necessarily against the WoW, they definitely are not against the Word of Wisdom.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

hawkwing wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:35 am
Not only are they not necessarily against the WoW, they definitely are not against the Word of Wisdom.
I drink them all the time, and they most certainly CAN be against the WOW. So can non-caffeinated drinks. Spirit vs Letter here folks. I don't think most of us even comprehend the money spend on diabetes and it's effects in the USA. I attribute the consequences to the amount of soda we drink (me included).

I don't get the big deal. I went to BYU and if I wanted caffeine, I drank it in the form of soda that I purchased off BYU campus. Did I need BYU's endorsement? Absolutely not. Does this really change anyone's view on cold caffeine beverages?

Now, if BYU replaces Jamba juice with a starbucks it'll raise my eyebrows.

final edit/hot take and I'm sure I'll take some heat here: if you're excited about caffeine drinks at BYU, you may have a word of wisdom problem...

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

BroncoBot wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:08 pm
hawkwing wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:35 am
I drink them all the time, and they most certainly CAN be against the WOW. So can non-caffeinated drinks. Spirit vs Letter here folks. I don't think most of us even comprehend the money spend on diabetes and it's effects in the USA. I attribute the consequences to the amount of soda we drink (me included).

I don't get the big deal. I went to BYU and if I wanted caffeine, I drank it in the form of soda that I purchased off BYU campus. Did I need BYU's endorsement? Absolutely not. Does this really change anyone's view on cold caffeine beverages?

Now, if BYU replaces Jamba juice with a starbucks it'll raise my eyebrows.

final edit/hot take and I'm sure I'll take some heat here: if you're excited about caffeine drinks at BYU, you may have a word of wisdom problem...
Soda is as much against the Word of Wisdom as anything you can eat or drink is against the WoW and less so than meat.

People should be mindful of what they eat and be healthy. BYU also sales Cougar Tales and brownies.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

If I were at BYU I'd be disappointed that the school will probably carry Mr. Pibb rather than Dr. Pepper, and Mello Yello rather than Mtn. Dew