BYU announces caffeinated beverages will be served on campus and at games

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU announces caffeinated beverages will be served on campus and at games

Post by BoiseBYU »

Mars wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:04 pm
BoiseBYU wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:57 pm
hawkwing wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:53 pm
snoscythe wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:46 pm
hawkwing wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:16 pm I don't care if a member in Utah shows up to church in jeans, shorts, or whatever.
But those heathens in Idaho....
Don't even get me started on THAT group!
We're beyond the pale ;)
And beside the pail (you know, for milking). ;)
Touche!

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

byufan4ever wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:17 pm
hawkwing wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:39 am
BroncoBot wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:59 pm
Gunk wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:59 pm
Fido wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:32 pm I've served as Elders Quorum President in a previous ward I lived in and had an interesting experience there. I had just grown out a goatee right before I was called. The Stake President (who also worked at LDS Church headquarters) called me in and asked if I would accept that calling. His next question was how attached I was to the facial hair. I just laughed it off and made a comment about it being new--but he didn't move on until I agreed to shave it off for the duration of my calling. I did because it wasn't a big deal to me--but then when I was calling counselors, one guy I suggested is a guy who also has facial hair and puts highlights in his hair. I was counseled that he would not be a good option and that I should focus on people who the ward "can look up to". I don't know if the Bishop knew something I didn't or if his comments were specifically concerning his grooming--but that always rubbed me a bit wrong.
I've since moved wards/stakes and have a goatee again. But I was called to be in the HP group leadership--and they said nothing about facial hair--though none of the SP have any. I'm not sure if that is just a "preference" thing or what--but facial hair has nothing to do with ones' worthiness or ability to serve. That is another area I'd like to see BYU and the church in general chill out a little over.
Every now and then I've grown a beard. It's mostly due to laziness so I have never been too attached to it.

Once when I was sporting a beard, I was in the temple. While getting a name I was asked whether I was a temple worker, typical question. One of the workers turned to the man handing out the names and said, "You don't have to ask him that. He has a beard. If someone has a beard don't bother asking that because they can't be temple workers." The two of them then proceeded to have a conversation because the fact temple workers can't have beards was a new concept to the one worker.
Easy there Gunk, perhaps the temple worker was someone who wanted to grow a beard but was following protocol? I think both sides of the argument get too worked up in the church sometimes. I also didn't know that being shaven was a requirement for working in the temple. CAn you get a beard card? ha ha .
I do not believe there are any exceptions allowed to the rule of being clean shaven. If that option is unavailable to you, you will be invited to serve in other ways, I imagine.
I thought they were joking. So if someone has a beard they really can't be a temple worker?
I can't speak to whether or not there are ever exceptions allowed, but it's in the handbook that temple workers must be clean shaven.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Fido wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:32 pm I've served as Elders Quorum President in a previous ward I lived in and had an interesting experience there. I had just grown out a goatee right before I was called. The Stake President (who also worked at LDS Church headquarters) called me in and asked if I would accept that calling. His next question was how attached I was to the facial hair. I just laughed it off and made a comment about it being new--but he didn't move on until I agreed to shave it off for the duration of my calling. I did because it wasn't a big deal to me--but then when I was calling counselors, one guy I suggested is a guy who also has facial hair and puts highlights in his hair. I was counseled that he would not be a good option and that I should focus on people who the ward "can look up to". I don't know if the Bishop knew something I didn't or if his comments were specifically concerning his grooming--but that always rubbed me a bit wrong.
I've since moved wards/stakes and have a goatee again. But I was called to be in the HP group leadership--and they said nothing about facial hair--though none of the SP have any. I'm not sure if that is just a "preference" thing or what--but facial hair has nothing to do with ones' worthiness or ability to serve. That is another area I'd like to see BYU and the church in general chill out a little over.
Every now and then I've grown a beard. It's mostly due to laziness so I have never been too attached to it.

Once when I was sporting a beard, I was in the temple. While getting a name I was asked whether I was a temple worker, typical question. One of the workers turned to the man handing out the names and said, "You don't have to ask him that. He has a beard. If someone has a beard don't bother asking that because they can't be temple workers." The two of them then proceeded to have a conversation because the fact temple workers can't have beards was a new concept to the one worker.
Easy there Gunk, perhaps the temple worker was someone who wanted to grow a beard but was following protocol? I think both sides of the argument get too worked up in the church sometimes. I also didn't know that being shaven was a requirement for working in the temple. CAn you get a beard card? ha ha .
I do not believe there are any exceptions allowed to the rule of being clean shaven. If that option is unavailable to you, you will be invited to serve in other ways, I imagine.
I thought they were joking. So if someone has a beard they really can't be a temple worker?
Correct. If you have a beard you can not be a temple worker, even though Jesus and God are clearly depicted as having beards.

And, if you are in a bishopric or stake presidency and have a beard you will more than likely be asked to shave it.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Gunk wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:19 pm

Correct. If you have a beard you can not be a temple worker, even though Jesus and God are clearly depicted as having beards.

And, if you are in a bishopric or stake presidency and have a beard you will more than likely be asked to shave it.
For me, it really does not eternally matter. I don't understand why. But I don't want to let my failure to understand drive a wedge between me and the Church. I will put this one on a shelf and (hopefully) ride it out.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

KingCoug wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:51 pm
Gunk wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:45 pm
2) It's complete hearsay, but a family friend of ours has some high-up connections within Church leadership. Rumor is there are a "bunch" of "big" changes in the works and the presidency is just waiting for when the new prophet is called.
I know you're just the messenger but these kind of rumors have been around for decades. I don't think we'll see "a bunch" of anything (because we don't need to) and I don't see the purpose in waiting for a new prophet even if there was.
Told you.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Gunk wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:19 pm

I don't have a ton of experience in the "Beard policy" area but I believe that sometimes it is overstated. In Fresno the Bishop of the YSA ward has a beard and has had one for years. I wonder who is supposed to have asked him to shave it.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

I am currently in a bishopric in Utah.

When I was called in August, I asked the stake president if I needed to lose the beard. He told me he knew of no such guidelines, but if a member of the Twelve were to chime in, they would probably recommend shaving daily.

I shaved for two weeks, and have not since, and the only mention that has been made of it since has come from bearded brethren who are relieved to see a beard on the stand.

Our bishop Is now also sprouting his beard.

I should also acknowledge that this softening seems to be a recent course-change. A bearded friend in the neighborhood was called to a bishopric 4 years ago and, without him asking as I did, the same Stake President at that time told him that as part of the calling he would be expected to be clean shaven on Sundays. 4 years later I had a completely different experience as far as the shaving expectations went.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

That's interesting, Sno.

I suspect we'll continue to see such "softening" over the next few years with Nelson in.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

My former bishopric in Idaho all sported the beard.
At the temple this last week in Vernal, one of the workers had some chops that would put john taylor to shame.Image

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

snoscythe wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:09 am I am currently in a bishopric in Utah.

When I was called in August, I asked the stake president if I needed to lose the beard. He told me he knew of no such guidelines, but if a member of the Twelve were to chime in, they would probably recommend shaving daily.

I shaved for two weeks, and have not since, and the only mention that has been made of it since has come from bearded brethren who are relieved to see a beard on the stand.

Our bishop Is now also sprouting his beard.

I should also acknowledge that this softening seems to be a recent course-change. A bearded friend in the neighborhood was called to a bishopric 4 years ago and, without him asking as I did, the same Stake President at that time told him that as part of the calling he would be expected to be clean shaven on Sundays. 4 years later I had a completely different experience as far as the shaving expectations went.
A dear family member was called to be a Bishop. He had a beard and was not asked to shave and didn’t. And this was 25 years ago. He said I guess since you can go to the Temple with a beard you can be a Bishop with a beard. He later shaved not because he was asked but it got too itchy.....