Democratic Party = The True Fascists

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Democratic Party = The True Fascists

Post by BlueK »

Trump really just tweeted out that NBC should have its license pulled because he didn't like a story they put out? Geez.

First of all, networks aren't licensed. Only local channels are because they operate on the "limited" public airwaves. Or so the theory was in the early 20th century when broadcasting began. So you can't pull a network's license because there is nothing to pull

But never mind that, but what the heck? What country is this? Trump's absolute lack of respect for the First Amendment is kind of alarming if not revolting to me. Censoring media based on the government not linking what they are saying? That's pretty dang communist/fascist/dicatorial/authoritarian/unamerican -- insert your adjective here. But what do i know, I just vote Libertarian.

By the way, no one should be surprised by Trump saying something like this. He's not much of a fan of the FIrst Amendment. We've known that for a long time.

Please read my signature.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

As mentioned before, fascists hate a free press. Though also, the American press hates conservatism.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Mars wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:39 pm As mentioned before, fascists hate a free press. Though also, the American press hates conservatism.
You can find plenty of right-leaning media also. I use realclearpolitics a lot and probably 60% of the articles posted on there are conservative-leaning -- many from "traditional" sources, like an op-ed from a conservative columnist from a major newspaper, or something like that. I don't like the characterization of the media as a monolithic entity that hates only one side. That idea just too simplistic and too easily manipulated by rabble-rousing politicians for their own greedy objectives. The truth is you can find anything you want out there. And despite the way they lean, you can find both credible and very not credible sources on both sides. It's our job to use our brains to sift through it. I lament that Trump seems to be of the mindset that if he doesn't like the reality he lives in, he gets to change it: the real truth becomes whatever "dear leader" says it is. In fact, it's dangerous for politicians to demonize the press because it sets the tone for making it seem acceptable to us to take away that freedom at some point.

The problem is he has been caught in lies so many times, it's absurd. A republican would never accept this nonsense from a democrat president. I wish so many didn't lose their principles. This is where I respect the Republican "never Trumpers" like Jeff Flake of Arizona (LDS incidentally) who isn't going to give up his principles and call it like it is when the president is off his rocker. Not ironically, Trump hates him even more than any democrat who might take that seat instead. What a joke.

Trump just digs too many of his own holes to expect the same kind of free pass leaders of totalitarian countries get from their press. And he's not really a conservative anyway except for the socially conservative bones he throws out to the evangelical crowd.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Places like Hollywood definitely do seem to adopt a monolithic group-think. L.A. and New York control a lot of our media, and conservatives don't seem to last long there.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

And to date, any journalist can express any opinion he/she wants. It's not even close to Russia yet where putin has killed who-knows-how-many reporters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_j ... _in_Russia

I think what trump said was dumb. But the press acting like they are being herded up and killed doesn't make me feel even a little sorry for them. The press has been irresponsible and certainly has favorites (both sides). It's the emotional driven inconsistency that drives me crazy.

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

The 90+% of negative stories for Trump (with most of them being "fake news" - read out and out lies) adds to the perception. But here is a suggestion. Take all his tweets with a bit of patience. He has an agenda with each of them and have led him to being the most successful president since Ronny despite a congress that has done virtually nothing but fight him. He's like a magician, he has the world looking in one direction while he oversees the dismantling of all the "fascist" rules and regulations that have been stifling our country. Did you know that under his direction, fed regs have been drastically cut which has led to the huge gains in employment and wealth to all the people? Just one agency has gone from over 90,000 pages of regs to just over 40,000 pages of regs and they are still being reduced. Gentlemen, brethren, Don understands what is going on with the media and what "we the people" really want and is using a strategy to keep the first occupied so he can meet the expectations and desires of the second.
BTW - latest fake news "Trump stated he wants to increase our Nukes by 10x". This has been proven false and an out and out lie of a story.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Never put more thought into a Trump tweet than Trump does.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

SpiffCoug wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:43 pmNever put more thought into a Trump tweet than Trump does.
And he falls asleep while writing them.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

SpiffCoug wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:43 pm Never put more thought into a Trump tweet than Trump does.
Fair enough. But he is the President of the United States of America. Our country has for a long time been the leader of the free world and in numerous ways, not just militarily, the most powerful nation in the world. I can give the short shrift Trump’s tweets deserve, but they still embarrass the office of the Presidency and this nation. The tweets undercut our causes, and put our nation in a tougher spot in various ways. Any sane person would recognize that and stop. I can ignore his tweets but the world is not and as a result our position is weaker. And as conservative writer David French said in the National Review today, Trump’s tweets are doing long term harm to the Republican Party and principles of liberty.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BoiseBYU wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:50 pm
SpiffCoug wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:43 pm Never put more thought into a Trump tweet than Trump does.
Fair enough. But he is the President of the United States of America. Our country has for a long time been the leader of the free world and in numerous ways, not just militarily, the most powerful nation in the world. I can give the short shrift Trump’s tweets deserve, but they still embarrass the office of the Presidency and this nation. The tweets undercut our causes, and put our nation in a tougher spot in various ways. Any sane person would recognize that and stop. I can ignore his tweets but the world is not and as a result our position is weaker. And as conservative writer David French said in the National Review today, Trump’s tweets are doing long term harm to the Republican Party and principles of liberty.
I agree. Trump's twitter account is awful for his administration and awful for the nation. It adds to the irreconciliable political divide currently infesting our nation. It is poisoning conservatism. It is a blight on the office.

But Trump still doesn't - and likely never will - understand the gravitas required of his current position.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!