right wing violence

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

right wing violence

Post by BroncoBot »

I started the "left wing violence" thread. right wing is just as awful. Fringe groups from both sides are still driving the conversation. Both extremes (antifa vs white supremacists) wouldn't be supported by more than 2-3% of the population. But, just like nazis taking over Germany and bolsheviks taking over Russia (both representing a very small aspect of their respective societies), it's often those that are most committed who get the final say.

Prayers for those who have been elected to have the wisdom of Solomon.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: right wing violence

Post by hawkwing »

Statement from the Church.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints wrote: Church Issues Statement on Situation in Charlottesville, Virginia OFFICIAL STATEMENT13 AUGUST 2017 - SALT LAKE CITY
UPDATE: Tuesday, August 15, 2017

The Church has released the following statement:

It has been called to our attention that there are some among the various pro-white and white supremacy communities who assert that the Church is neutral toward or in support of their views. Nothing could be further from the truth. In the New Testament, Jesus said, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself” (Matthew 22:37-39). The Book of Mormon teaches “all are alike unto God” (2 Nephi 26:33).
White supremacist attitudes are morally wrong and sinful, and we condemn them. Church members who promote or pursue a “white culture” or white supremacy agenda are not in harmony with the teachings of the Church.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released the following statement Sunday, August 13, 2017:
It is with great sadness and deep concern that we view the violence, conflict and tragedy of recent days in Charlottesville, Virginia. People of any faith, or of no faith at all, should be troubled by the increase of intolerance in both words and actions that we see everywhere.

More than a decade ago, the late Church President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910-2008) addressed the topic of racism when speaking to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He powerfully and clearly taught this principle: "No man who makes disparaging remarks concerning those of another race can consider himself a true disciple of Christ. Nor can he consider himself to be in harmony with the teachings of the Church of Christ." For members of the Church, we reaffirm that teaching today and the Savior's admonition to love our neighbor.

Our prayers are with those who are suffering because of this intolerance and hatred. We pray for peace and for understanding. Above all, we pray that we may treat one another with greater kindness, compassion and goodness.
Source: http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/c ... e-virginia

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

All violence is rightfully condemned.

If you are an American and are displaying the Nazi flag and you haven't just won it in the field of battle you are doing it wrong. You do not understand America. Change your thinking or leave the country.

Your race doesn't make you better than another person. Your character as revealed by your actions does that. But even then you are still equal to that person in the eyes of the law and before God.

If you are a neo-Nazi or white supremacist you are an awful human being. If you become violent because of that ideology you are less than human.

There is no place in America for political violence of any kind.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

I agree all around. I want smaller less intrusive government which has been called right wing. I want the freedoms enumerated by the Constitution for everybody. I feel a disconnect from these people even though it is said they are right wing.

I don't feel any of this is Mr. Trump's fault. It appears that anything he says or does the haters take the opposite side and condemn him.

I just edited my post in hopes of making my views more clear.
Last edited by nuk13 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I use this site for getting raw data on terrorist attacks in the US:

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/terrorism/wrjp255a.html

It breaks it down by group, which I suppose could be open to interpretation, but I find this very interesting. Here is a breakdown of the three major groups, Islam, Left, and Right, using three different periods (this data is updated through 8/13/17):
Ter List.PNG
First, there's definitely plenty of blame to go around. Second, it dispels the notion that most domestic terrorist attacks are not by Muslims. Even looking at just this decade they have committed the most terrorist acts and killed and injured the most people.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

In the end, we need to look at the areas we have the most control over and denounce the violence that hits closest to home.

How many times have we looked at Islamic terrorists and bemoaned the fact that there is little if any Muslim action/statements in denouncing the violence and fighting against it. It would be the worst of hypocrisy if conservatives were not at the forefront denouncing, fighting, and eliminating right wing terrorism and Nazism. It should be clear to the world that Nazi's and the alt-right are not a part of the conservative movement. They are not wanted, welcomed, nor justified in any way. No excuses because of left-wing hate groups or Islamic terrorists, none whatsoever. There are not many sides or parts to it. There's right and there's wrong.

I applaud the Church for it's strong and clear stance on this issue and I wish more groups that are traditionally conservative would echo that.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Statement from the Presidents Bush

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Nazis stating how pleased they were by Trump's under-reactive statements tells Americans all they need to know. Trump is an unmitigated disaster for this nation. The Republican party should be ashamed of themselves.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:28 pm Nazis stating how pleased they were by Trump's under-reactive statements tells Americans all they need to know. Trump is an unmitigated disaster for this nation. The Republican party should be ashamed of themselves.
I agree that both extremist fringes bear responsibility for the escalation in violence. Essentially you have 2 groups, representing an extremely small portion of the American political spectrum, who feel they have the authority to take things into their own hands due to a molehill they perceive as a mountain. I personally believe that the lack of control shown by the left over the last few years(BLM, rioting after election, threatening speakers, etc) has only emboldened the white supremacy movement. I't s like watching 4 year olds crying "it's not fair" or "he did it so why can't I". Basically you have 2 groups with the mental capacity of said 4 year olds and with the attitude that violence is going to get them their way. If you're going to be firm with one of them, you've got to show the same consequences for the other. THAT is what made America great. You don't get to favored due to color of skin, political views, religion, etc. Unfortunately, too often there has been double standards for certain people/groups.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I wonder if there is any similarity to the final destruction of the people in Ether? Everyone wanted their side and revenge. Often the fights were over who should be president, oh I mean king.