What's the real reason Jason Chaffetz is quitting early?

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
HoosierCougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: What's the real reason Jason Chaffetz is quitting early?

Post by HoosierCougar »

First, I think he's a tool. A self-important, me-first guy who wanted to make a name for himself in a role that could lead to bigger roles. That said, I haven't heard any grounded info that there's dirt on him. I happen to know what his protocol was for dealing with female staffers who worked late at the office when he was sleeping there, and it was designed to protect them both. Not saying he's completely clean, but no rumors to date have traction.

Second, I think there's some legitimacy to the idea that his family is tired of him being gone. I can relate and I only travel about half as much as he does.

Third, the opposition thing Sno mentioned is real. The GOP has been a better opposition party than leadership party for most of my life.

Fourth, you can't finance kids' college and weddings with campaign donations, so if he makes a cool million in the next year and then runs for office again (2020 and beyond will have a lot of options for him), he'll have a personal account that is flush to take care of the stuff he needs/wants to do.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

A family that is sick and tired of his travels probably should have mentioned that 6 months ago before the election, not 6 months into his term. There's no legitimate reason to quit this service.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

hawkwing wrote:A family that is sick and tired of his travels probably should have mentioned that 6 months ago before the election, not 6 months into his term. There's no legitimate reason to quit this service.
Agreed. But let's be honest, it would have been EXTREMELY difficult for the GOP to have nominated another candidate and have won that seat if Chaffetz had hung it up before the election. I mean, we're talking about Utah County. That's a tough district for Republicans to hold onto.

Anyone know how a replacement is chosen? Is it just vacant for 18 months? Does the governor appoint a successor? Is there a special election?

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Special election.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

hawkwing wrote:Special election.
It's actually a muddled mess in the State of Utah. The Governor has called for a special election under statutory authority, but the Republican Party and the Legislature are going to sue because they think that law is unconstitutional under the Utah Constitution which puts election authority squarely in the Legislature.