Do We Really Need the CIA? Why or Why not?

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Do We Really Need the CIA? Why or Why not?

Post by Cougarfan87 »

I am starting to wonder if the CIA is still necessary. Without actually being in the intelligence game, it is tough to say whether we still need the CIA. But based on them acting like their own quasi government, I am starting to feel like maybe the CIA should just be ended. Let the Defense Intelligence Agency, who is beholden to military officers, who are absolutely beholden to the President take care of the Lion's share of the necessary intelligence to keep our country safe. Plus, some of the things the CIA does just seem...unamerican. I am not one who believes the ends justify the means. Anyway, probably just random, crazy musings, but it seems like the CIA has gone rogue and needs to be put down.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Do We Really Need the CIA? Why or Why not?

Post by BroncoBot »

Well, if the CIA were no more, it wouldn't be the worst thing to ever happen.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Be careful with questioning the existence of the CIA, they may drop a missile on your house now that they don't need to seek outside approval for it.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

Truman, who started the CIA, intended no operational role for the CIA. It was only supposed to be an intelligence gathering arm for the president. He wanted the raw data rather than the biased info he was getting from the different departments including defense and the Pentagon. While I think that position is a little naive and gave one department control of the data and the ability to manipulate it how it saw fit, it would be a good thing to see the intelligence arm completed separated from operations.

http://www.maebrussell.com/Prouty/Harry ... ticle.html

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

jvquarterback wrote:Truman, who started the CIA, intended no operational role for the CIA. It was only supposed to be an intelligence gathering arm for the president. He wanted the raw data rather than the biased info he was getting from the different departments including defense and the Pentagon. While I think that position is a little naive and gave one department control of the data and the ability to manipulate it how it saw fit, it would be a good thing to see the intelligence arm completed separated from operations.

http://www.maebrussell.com/Prouty/Harry ... ticle.html

I guess therein lies the rub. They shouldn't be running operations. They should be gathering intelligence for the President to make decisions.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.