Boy Scouts: Spineless Cowards?

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Boy Scouts: Spineless Cowards?

Post by Ddawg »

The Boy Scouts announced they will allow transgender boys into the Boy Scouts. Will the LDS church finally say "enough is enough?"

"Matt Walsh: Good-bye Boy Scouts of America. You spineless cowards."
http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/m ... s-cowards/

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Boy Scouts: Spineless Cowards?

Post by Cougarfan87 »

I have to wonder if this is the straw that breaks the camel's back with the Church, but I don't think so. It seems to me that as long as the Church can administer the program as it sees fit, then it will continue with the Boy Scouts. Only when the Boy Scouts require running the program as they see fit do I see the Church bowing out.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

The Church will only leave when there is a specific instance where BSA seeks to impose these things on the Church--e.g. force them to have a gay Scoutmaster, force them to let Beehive who identifies as male participate in Scouts as opposed to Young Women. It will take something of that magnitude to move the needle with the Brethren who are thoroughly invested in Scouting.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

It definitely seems we are on a downward glide path with the Boy Scouts. 10 years ago, who would have ever guessed it would come to this. It's not about putting anyone down or belittling anyone. But, these "blurring" of lines, the lack of clarity, moving the goalposts. We are entering uncharted waters. Interesting times eh?
Last edited by Ddawg on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

snoscythe wrote:The Church will only leave when there is a specific instance where BSA seeks to impose these things on the Church--e.g. force them to have a gay Scoutmaster, force them to let Beehive who identifies as male participate in Scouts as opposed to Young Women. It will take something of that magnitude to move the needle with the Brethren who are thoroughly invested in Scouting.
I agree that this is what it will have to come down to...or a forced curriculum that is in contravention of God's plan. We had a young woman that suffers from these gender identity issues, but I think the ward handled it well. She is loved and cared for, but the expectations of where she would go on Wednesday nights and what bathroom she would use were made clear to her and her parents in a private conversation. Unless BSA forces the issue, I think the Church keeps on with the Boy Scouts. How long until they force the issue is anyone's guess.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Cougarfan87 wrote:
snoscythe wrote:The Church will only leave when there is a specific instance where BSA seeks to impose these things on the Church--e.g. force them to have a gay Scoutmaster, force them to let Beehive who identifies as male participate in Scouts as opposed to Young Women. It will take something of that magnitude to move the needle with the Brethren who are thoroughly invested in Scouting.
I agree that this is what it will have to come down to...or a forced curriculum that is in contravention of God's plan. We had a young woman that suffers from these gender identity issues, but I think the ward handled it well. She is loved and cared for, but the expectations of where she would go on Wednesday nights and what bathroom she would use were made clear to her and her parents in a private conversation. Unless BSA forces the issue, I think the Church keeps on with the Boy Scouts. How long until they force the issue is anyone's guess.
I doubt that it will be the BSA that forces the issue. I'm pretty sure that the issue will be forced by a social activist LDS parent; one not unlike the grandstanding Tabernacle Choir singer who didn't think it enough just to not go, but tried to use the popularity of her position to change everyone else's minds as well. I give it 5 years, and some parent is going to come out against BSA and the church and BSA will throw up their hands and say "it's not us - it's them" and the Church will then run its own program.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

ABYUFAN wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I doubt that it will be the BSA that forces the issue. I'm pretty sure that the issue will be forced by a social activist LDS parent; one not unlike the grandstanding Tabernacle Choir singer who didn't think it enough just to not go, but tried to use the popularity of her position to change everyone else's minds as well. I give it 5 years, and some parent is going to come out against BSA and the church and BSA will throw up their hands and say "it's not us - it's them" and the Church will then run its own program.
That could be too. It would be better for the Church to withdraw from the program outside of any controversy, but the Lord's purposes are not always served by doing things the easy way. Knowing the caliber of people that the Lord has leading the Church, I am sure they will do so when they feel so inspired and it is supposed to happen.