Building the Wall

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
User avatar
BoiseBYU
Pro
Posts: 3796
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:35 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Building the Wall

Post by BoiseBYU » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:04 pm

hawkwing wrote:If users cannot make posts without resorting to name calling those users will find themselves in timeout from being allowed to post for a period of time.
I respect your request.

User avatar
Ddawg
All Star
Posts: 4556
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:24 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Building the Wall

Post by Ddawg » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:13 pm

hawkwing wrote:If users cannot make posts without resorting to name calling those users will find themselves in timeout from being allowed to post for a period of time.
Does that apply to you too? Who puts you in timeout when you attack posters?

User avatar
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Posts: 12152
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:35 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Eagle Mountain, UT
Contact:

Re: Building the Wall

Post by hawkwing » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:50 pm

Ddawg wrote:
hawkwing wrote:If users cannot make posts without resorting to name calling those users will find themselves in timeout from being allowed to post for a period of time.
Does that apply to you too? Who puts you in timeout when you attack posters?
Show me where I have.

And yes, when I go too far I get reigned in by Sno, Spiff, and a panel of users to help keep things going smooth.

User avatar
Ddawg
All Star
Posts: 4556
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:24 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Building the Wall

Post by Ddawg » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:51 pm

hawkwing wrote:
Ddawg wrote:
hawkwing wrote:If users cannot make posts without resorting to name calling those users will find themselves in timeout from being allowed to post for a period of time.
Does that apply to you too? Who puts you in timeout when you attack posters?
Show me where I have.

And yes, when I go too far I get reigned in by Sno, Spiff, and a panel of users to help keep things going smooth.
Right.

1967cougar
Sophomore
Posts: 563
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:03 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Building the Wall

Post by 1967cougar » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:02 am

Here's my worry: stopping illegal entry will create tons of jobs. All of a sudden we are a country of opportunity for all who want to work for it. I worry that there are two classes of people who will not want to work even when a good job is offered them. 1) Millenials - those who would rather sit on their Mom's couch and play video games all day instead of getting a job and 2) Multi-generational welfare recipients who are already being taken care of by the government. why would either of these groups want to work. I can forsee the possibility of welfare benefits being taken away if someone refuses to work when they can. But I don't think there is an answer for the enabled millenial who is in his mid-to-late twenties and being coddled by his mommy. That person never developed any job skills and would most likely lose his job due to constant tardiness and absenteeism. He would then go back to mommy telling her how hard it is out there. She would hold him close and give him some money to help ease the pain of losing his job.

A Counselor in my Bishopric told us a story yesterday in Priesthood. He works at one of these homes for troubled youth and his job is to teach these kids some responsibility via using horses. I won't get into all of that. But he had a particularly difficult teen he was working with last week. The kid was just flat out lazy. He was telling him that he needed to develop some skills and learn to work hard in order to take care of himself out in the world. When he finished talking to this kid, another youth came over to him as asked, "Don't you think you were a little too harsh talking to him that way?" This is the rising generation. their feelings are all that matter. So don't tell them they have to get a job. That would just hurt sooo much!

User avatar
snoscythe
Retired
Posts: 7803
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:52 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Building the Wall

Post by snoscythe » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:50 am

We have a lot of first-year scouts in our troop this year, so last weekend we did a "test" winter camp before we do the Klondike next month. This was done in a field in town (less than 5 minutes from our homes) with wall tents and wood stoves. The Klondike will be in the mountains with no cell coverage in unheated dome tents. Nevertheless, I had a scout who was warm all night, but when it came time to get out of his sleeping bag didn't want to put on his "cold" pants and didn't want to take off his boots to replace his athletic socks with wool socks. He had snow pants that he refused to put on. So he wandered around the campsite in longjohns and wet cotton socks for an hour, refusing to make the simple changes to make himself warm "put on your wool socks", "put on your snow pants". He eventually called his mom to come pick him up right when it was time to start breaking camp.

Unfortunately, I can't say this is an isolated incident or even limited to this one kid, and this is coming from a very blue-collar community where hard work and toughness are supposed to be emphasized. It's not as bad as it has been in past, more affluent wards, but it just makes it clear that parents are raising a nation of quitters without work ethic.

BlueK
Junior
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:47 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Building the Wall

Post by BlueK » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:01 pm

imuakahuku wrote:Sort of keeping to the illegal immigrant vein, can someone tell me what jobs they do that Americans won't do? I hear it all the time and people seem to just ignore it when stated. I washed dishes when I was younger. I see college kids now washing dishes. I see Americans doing maid work. My father in law does yard work and he is not an illegal immigrant. It drives me crazy when I hear people debating and someone throws that out there like there are jobs that Americans won't do but the illegals will (mind you I am talking legal jobs), and nobody challenges them on it. Its like theY think, "well, I don't want to do it so I guess it is true". It is false and a lie and whenever someone says it they should be challenged on it. So if you are ever talking with a Progressive and they throw that out there, challenge them and then come tell all of us what they said.
it's just that outside of the very young, established citizens and residents are usually more likely to be able to get better (higher paying) jobs than those.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...

jvquarterback
All-American
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:20 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Building the Wall

Post by jvquarterback » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:58 pm

Ddawg wrote:
jvquarterback wrote:
Ddawg wrote:But the point is - the illegals ADD to to crime. Why tolerate that?
Well everyone adds to crime rates. Why should we tolerate any of that? We could make America pristine again. Kick everyone out.
That is not true. I understand your tongue in cheek, sarcastic statement. It's just not true.
Yes, it is true. With all the federal, state, county, and city laws everyone is a criminal.
Ddawg wrote:
jvquarterback wrote: I don't buy that migrants are any more prone to violent crime than others in their economic situation. You're overstating your case there, notwithstaning your anecdotal evidence.
I'm not overstating anything. I'm telling you real world experiences. It happens repeatedly every week. Regardless of whether you acknowledge it or not. And, I have never said ALL illegal immigrants are criminals. Not even close. But some certainly are. Also, to say that poor people, in poor economic situations become criminals is a cop out - an excuse. It's not true. Lots of poor people do not act criminally. Though some do. It's case by case - person by person.
Yet you don't give any evidence that immigrants are more prone to criminal activity adjusted to economic status. You want it both ways - migrants are prone to criminal activity, but you have to take it case by case. Which is it?
If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams

User avatar
Ddawg
All Star
Posts: 4556
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:24 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Building the Wall

Post by Ddawg » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:39 pm

jvquarterback wrote:
Ddawg wrote:
jvquarterback wrote:
Ddawg wrote:But the point is - the illegals ADD to to crime. Why tolerate that?
Well everyone adds to crime rates. Why should we tolerate any of that? We could make America pristine again. Kick everyone out.
That is not true. I understand your tongue in cheek, sarcastic statement. It's just not true.
Yes, it is true. With all the federal, state, county, and city laws everyone is a criminal.
Ddawg wrote:
jvquarterback wrote: I don't buy that migrants are any more prone to violent crime than others in their economic situation. You're overstating your case there, notwithstaning your anecdotal evidence.
I'm not overstating anything. I'm telling you real world experiences. It happens repeatedly every week. Regardless of whether you acknowledge it or not. And, I have never said ALL illegal immigrants are criminals. Not even close. But some certainly are. Also, to say that poor people, in poor economic situations become criminals is a cop out - an excuse. It's not true. Lots of poor people do not act criminally. Though some do. It's case by case - person by person.
Yet you don't give any evidence that immigrants are more prone to criminal activity adjusted to economic status. You want it both ways - migrants are prone to criminal activity, but you have to take it case by case. Which is it?
Good grief - you are a confused man. Let me break out the crayons.

Question #1: Do any illegal aliens commit crime in the United States? Yes or No.

User avatar
Mars
Retired
Posts: 9119
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:13 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Contact:

Re: Building the Wall

Post by Mars » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:50 am

Knock it off Dawg, no one enjoys condescension.

Maybe politics itself should be put on a time-out here.
Mars al'Thor, The Cougar Reborn!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars

Post Reply