Building the Wall

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Building the Wall

Post by Ddawg »

One of Trump's signature promises was to build a security wall on our southern border. This last Wed. he took steps to begin that process.
1st - Trump visited the Dept. of Homeland Security this last Wed. and signed an Executive Order to build the wall on the Mexican border.
2nd - On Thursday, U.S. Border Patrol Chief Mark Morgan resigned (Obama appointee). He was told to resign by Trump's people, to signal the Border Patrol is moving in a new direction. They will enforce existing laws. Catch and release is over.

Trump said while meeting with the Dept of Homeland Security: “From here on out, I'm asking all of you to enforce the laws of the United States of America. They will be enforced and enforced strongly."

Ddawg
All Star

Re: Building the Wall

Post by Ddawg »

IMHO - this is why we need to build the wall. There is a novel concept that governments are suppose to serve and protect their citizens first.

Cost to the taxpayer. It costs taxpayers a grundle (cooler than bundle) of money each year. In crime, police, first responder services, emergency rooms, labor & delivery of illegal babies, school services, decreased attention to children of U.S. citizens and lower test scores, court costs, jail and prison costs, legal fees to prosecute and appeals, human life - murder, rape, assault, increased gang activity and all the crime associated with it.

How much crime can be attributed to illegals? It is very difficult to assess - because crime is not categorized as "legal citizen" vs "illegal citizen." However, Pres. Trump had announced that is about to change.

Note, the DEA says the majority of heroin entering the USA comes across our SOUTHERN border and originates in Mexico and Columbia.

DEA reports heroin seizures: up 16% San Diego area, up 39% El Centro area, up 59% Yuma area, up 58% Tucson area, up 138% El Paso area, up 129% Big Bend, TX area.

DEA reports the Sinaloa drug cartel supplies Chicago with 80% of their heroin, cocaine, marijuana, and methamphetamine. It has a value of $3 billion. That is flooding Chicago each year.

DEA says Mexican drug organizations are the most dominant and prominent drug suppliers in Chicago, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Washington DC, and expanding their presence in New York.

Heroin deaths have increased 244%.

We need to build a wall to help control all the above. It's not a 100% "fix it" guarantee. It will be an effective tool. Just ask Israel. It's 99% effective there.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

In 2013 FAIR (Federation for American Immigration Reform) concluded the cost of illegal immigration costs at the federal, state, and local level to be around $113 billion.

http://www.fairus.org/publications/the- ... -taxpayers

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

I don't think a "grundle" means what you think it means....

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

snoscythe wrote:I don't think a "grundle" means what you think it means....
I now the dictionary term - I am using the street slang term: "grundle of money." I've heard it many times over the past 10+ years on the street.

If you desire, I will change it it make you happy. As you wish.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Ddawg wrote:
I now the dictionary term - I am using the street slang term: "grundle of money." I've heard it many times over the past 10+ years on the street.

Come on, you know me--I just thought it was funny....I've used it quite a bit in slang (we call the middle of the truck bench "riding grundle"), but never in the usage you did. I might just adopt it to see if I get similar reactions in the circles I run in.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

Ddawg wrote:In 2013 FAIR (Federation for American Immigration Reform) concluded the cost of illegal immigration costs at the federal, state, and local level to be around $113 billion.

http://www.fairus.org/publications/the- ... -taxpayers
How much does any other group of 10-15 million people "cost" the federal, state, and local government?

The largest cost (schooling) is $52M per their report. Since most funding for schooling comes from state taxes derived from property taxes (which all migrants pay) don't they pay there fair share of that cost?

I'm not saying migrants cover the government "costs" but the problem is the costs - not the people. The problem is people addicted to government subsidies whether they are migrants or not. The reason we need a border wall isn't the heroin coming in, it's the heroin already here - the heroin of government handouts.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

snoscythe wrote:
Ddawg wrote:

Come on, you know me--I just thought it was funny....I've used it quite a bit in slang (we call the middle of the truck bench "riding grundle"), but never in the usage you did. I might just adopt it to see if I get similar reactions in the circles I run in.
I have worked part time on construction sites for years. That's where I 1st heard it 10+ years ago - "That guy made a grundle of money." I have heard it since, used the same way, from time to time. Anyway .....

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

jvquarterback wrote: I'm not saying migrants cover the government "costs" but the problem is the costs - not the people. The problem is people addicted to government subsidies whether they are migrants or not. The reason we need a border wall isn't the heroin coming in, it's the heroin already here - the heroin of government handouts.
To be clear - I am not against legal immigration. My parents immigrated from Canada. My brothers and sister are 1st generation American citizens. My father had a masters degree from Cornell and it took him 10 years to legally immigrate.

No, the illegal immigrants do NOT cover their costs. That is the problem. And, there is a lot of crime that comes in with the illegal element. Not all illegals are criminals - but - a percentage certainly is. And the heroin point is just a part of the equation - one cog in a big, multi-cogged gear.

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

Sort of keeping to the illegal immigrant vein, can someone tell me what jobs they do that Americans won't do? I hear it all the time and people seem to just ignore it when stated. I washed dishes when I was younger. I see college kids now washing dishes. I see Americans doing maid work. My father in law does yard work and he is not an illegal immigrant. It drives me crazy when I hear people debating and someone throws that out there like there are jobs that Americans won't do but the illegals will (mind you I am talking legal jobs), and nobody challenges them on it. Its like theY think, "well, I don't want to do it so I guess it is true". It is false and a lie and whenever someone says it they should be challenged on it. So if you are ever talking with a Progressive and they throw that out there, challenge them and then come tell all of us what they said.
Last edited by imuakahuku on Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.