New Sheriff

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: New Sheriff

Post by imuakahuku »

I'm curious, what president has actually accomplished or set in motion more conservative actions in so few weeks after being elected? I hope he remains as president because if he doesn't I promise you that the congress will not get rid of ACA if he goes. They are still looking for a way to make small changes and then sell it to America. The only thing forcing them to replace is Trump. D.C. Is a cesspool and everyone would do better to understand that. You cannot trust Congress. It is still run by the establishment. Just listen to the likes of McCain and his ilk. They are almost no different than Shumer and the Dems. If you want real freedom like what the founding fathers believed in then you should hope Trump is successful in his endeavors.
Also, I don't get why so many complaints about things he said. People sound just like the whiners I remember from college "teacher, it's not fair! You didn't have that on the study sheet". What we should all be doing is covering his back by calling our congressmen and making them go along with the plan.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Imuakahuku is correct. Donald Trump is moving his conservative campaign promises forward at lightning speed. Anyone doubt Trump's conservative commitment, I have 2 words for you: Neil Gorsuch.

To all you anti-TrumpAll you naysayers who think he won't be around 1 year from now - you sound like knitting circle divorced from reality. Trump is aggressive and a Washington wrecking ball. Good. Exactly what was needed.

Just look at Trump's EO's, and his cabinet picks. All solid. All conservatives. The liberals hate Trump's picks - because they will unwind and wreck the liberal regulatory swamp Obama and the democrats created. Look at the leaks. I bet they are Obama holdovers trying to derail the swamp draining Trump is committed to. Wait till they catch the leakers.

Watch this interview with Speaker Paul Ryan. Watch starting at 1:10 when Hannity asks Ryan how his relationship is with Trump, and how the agenda is going. Enlightening. Ryan discusses their 200 day plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ-2hfh4w5k

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

The interview was interesting. I still think Congress could be doing more. I also found it interesting to watch Hannity conducting the interview. It was pretty clear that he doesn't like Ryan and feels that Ryan should be doing more to 1) help Trump, 2) praise Trump, 3) defend Trump and 4) give all credit to Trump.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Ryan is a tool.

Q: How many times did the House pass a bills to repeal Obamacare under Obama?
A: At least 60.

Q: How many times has the House voted to repeal Obamacare since Trump took office?
A: Zero.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

snoscythe wrote:Ryan is a tool.

Q: How many times has the House voted to repeal Obamacare since Trump took office?
It's only been one month. Might help if Trump gave him his plan as a starting point.That's what presidents usually do. The president is supposed to submit a budget. Has he? No. Trump said several weeks ago he had a Obamacare replacement almost ready. Yeah, I don't think he really did or the Congress would be working with it by now.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

imuakahuku wrote:IIf you want real freedom like what the founding fathers believed in then you should hope Trump is successful in his endeavors.
This is the most interesting part of your post to me. I am a conservative libertarian and place this principle pretty much at the top of the list. I am a Constitutional originalist. To me, Trump is mostly the opposite of this. I feel like his very hostile comments about the press are meant to lay the groundwork for eventually eliminating freedom of the press. He doesn't have any respect for the judicial branch and I feel like he thinks he's the president so every other branch of government is subservient to him -- thus his silly spokesman's comment about Trump cannot be questioned. He doesn't respect separation of powers.

I am very happy with his judge Gorsuch pick. I just wonder what Trump will say or do when Gorsuch starts making rulings that Trump doesn't like, which precisely is going to happen because Gorsuch is an originalist who will not have a problem checking the president's powers when he tries to overreach.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BlueK wrote:
snoscythe wrote:Ryan is a tool.

It's only been one month. Might help if Trump gave him his plan as a starting point.That's what presidents usually do. The president is supposed to submit a budget. Has he? No. Trump said several weeks ago he had a Obamacare replacement almost ready. Yeah, I don't think he really did or the Congress would be working with it by now.
They've had just under 7 years to get a replacement plan teed up....

And not moving immediately on Obamacare now exposes the waste of time in voting to repeal it in the past---what was their plan back then? Oh, yeah--they were never serious, they were just scoring political points with no real plan in place. Ladies and Gentlemen --- YOUR Republican Party!!

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

imuakahuku wrote:I'm curious, what president has actually accomplished or set in motion more conservative actions in so few weeks after being elected? I hope he remains as president because if he doesn't I promise you that the congress will not get rid of ACA if he goes. They are still looking for a way to make small changes and then sell it to America. The only thing forcing them to replace is Trump. D.C. Is a cesspool and everyone would do better to understand that. You cannot trust Congress. It is still run by the establishment. Just listen to the likes of McCain and his ilk. They are almost no different than Shumer and the Dems. If you want real freedom like what the founding fathers believed in then you should hope Trump is successful in his endeavors.
Also, I don't get why so many complaints about things he said. People sound just like the whiners I remember from college "teacher, it's not fair! You didn't have that on the study sheet". What we should all be doing is covering his back by calling our congressmen and making them go along with the plan.
I think he has started quite a few things that one would call conservative, some good, some not so good. I really like some of his nominations, including Gorsuch and Mattis. He hit home runs there. His first stab at an executive order on immigration was a disaster in so many ways. His picking fights with allies and repeating demonstratively false statements are unhelpful and distracting. I hope the reason there is delay regarding ObamaCare is so they don't make things worse. Now that there's no Obama to vote against perhaps the focus is on the "Care" part and I'm at least glad if they take time to do it thoughtfully. As for being upset with what he says, I think words do matter. Why should the President or any public figure get a pass for false or outragous statements? Obama had some doozies over the years like you can keep your doctor and he was pilloried for them. And rightfully so. Why give Trump a pass? I think words to some degree indicate character and intellect and so are worth condemning when they indicate poor character or idiocy and praise when they show good character. Any ways just my thoughts.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

snoscythe wrote: And not moving immediately on Obamacare now exposes the waste of time in voting to repeal it in the past---what was their plan back then? Oh, yeah--they were never serious, they were just scoring political points with no real plan in place. Ladies and Gentlemen --- YOUR Republican Party!!
I think yo have to plan circumspectly any time you embark on a major undertaking. Repealing and replacing ObamaCare is a massive undertaking. I can assure you - nothing was going to happen until Trump got his pick for HHS (Health and Human Services) confirmed and in his post. Price was confirmed on Feb. 10. Ten days have passed. Nothing so monumental as replacing ObamaCare is going to happen in 10 days. That said, I assure you the gears of change are turning.

Q: Why did the Dem's so vigorously oppose the confirmation of Rep. Tom Price? A: Because Tom Price was hand picked to dismantle and replace ObamaCare - and the Dem's knew it.

Price is a Congressman from Georgia. Before he was a Representative, Price was an Orthopedic Surgeon for 20 years. He also taught and trained new physicians at Emory University School of Medicine. Price was also the director of orthopedic surgery at Atlanta's Grady Memorial Hospital. No one is more well versed in the shortcomings of ObamaCare and what needs to be done to fix it - and make the replacement plan work.

Personally, I hope the Trump folks tread deliberately and with attention to detail while disassembling ObamaCare and writing it's replacement. The Trump team cannot blow this rollout by rushing it. It would be disastrous. Tom Price fully understands whats at stake.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

The important "new news" with Trump (the new Sheriff) in the wheel-house is, the enforcement/teeth of ObamaCare have been softened. Although ObamaCare is still there, Trump signed an EO (within hours of taking office on Jan. 20th) giving HHS (Tom Price) the discretion to roll back enforcement of ObamaCare.

What does that mean? Well, under Obama, if you did not have some kind of healthcare - and refuse to answer/prove on your tax forms - 1. Your income tax paperwork was rejected and kicked back. 2. You face penalties up to 2.5% of your adjusted income because you did not have healthcare ($695 per adult, $347 per child, to a max of $2,085, whichever is higher).

Under Trump's new EO, your income tax return will not be rejected, and the enforcement mandate is fading, not being enforced. The insurance agencies are now worried because the mandate isn't being enforced. The death spiral of ObamaCare has begun.