Idaho Falls or SLC?

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Idaho Falls or SLC?

Post by Cougarfan87 »

As a recent development, I was offered a job in Idaho Falls. Now I have to make a decision by tomorrow, and I have been going back and forth with it. Neither answer seems wrong. So, all else being equal, would you choose a job in Idaho Falls or in SLC and why?

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Re: Idaho Falls or SLC?

Post by hawkwing »

I'd rather live in Utah for the close proximity to BYU sports.

However, I would take the job in Idaho Falls if it paid a certain % more than the SLC job.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Cougarfan87 wrote:As a recent development, I was offered a job in Idaho Falls. Now I have to make a decision by tomorrow, and I have been going back and forth with it. Neither answer seems wrong. So, all else being equal, would you choose a job in Idaho Falls or in SLC and why?
having lived in or near both, I can say... it all depends...

they're both good places. for me it boils down to...

1. compensation
2. lifestyle (they're completely different in terms of size, restaurants, ease of access to certain outdoor recs, liberal vs conservative)
3. job - this is a big one for me, I enjoy my job immensely more if I'm doing what I like. same position can be completely different at the 2 locations in terms of requirements and structure.
3. weather - east idaho not known for mild winters
4. state/local taxes (property and utilities)

in the end, I always look it all over and prayerfully consider it with my wife and the Lord. you'll choose the right one. they are both great places to live. but I've said that about every place I've lived (idaho, utah, Houston, Philadelphia, albuquerque and now NW colorado)

interesting people make the place they live interesting....

if I was to rank the places I've lived here's my order
1. idaho/colorado
2. Philadelphia
3. utah (specifically slc and utah county)
4. houston

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Income tax is higher in Idaho, cost of living is likely lower, but man, it would be hard to beat Eastern Idaho if you're an outdoors type of person, especially compared to the urban/suburban jungle of Salt Lake.

It if were up to me, I'd go with the Falls. The only attraction of big cities/suburbia to me is airport access and professional sports teams (not an NBA fan, though), so SLC really only woos me with the airport.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Like Broncobot, #1 consideration for me is compensation. Sure IF has lower COL, but compensation is generally much lower too. I would also consider long-term stability of the job. But with all else being equal, I'm a city guy to I would say SLC.

So, for my job situation, I also have 2 potential opportunities.

Job Opportunity #1: I had an interview in SLC last Thursday for a job very similar to what I do now, but with a smaller company in the same industry. I already had a phone interview so this was the second interview to see if I'm a good fit. Benefits are close, but not as good as what I currently have. But it doesn't have a relocation package. They are hiring for multiple positions and I feel I have a very good chance to get an offer.

Job Opportunity #2: I also have applied for a manager position (currently non-manager so this would be a big step up) in SLC with my current company. It has relo. HR has called me to tell me that they're interested in me, but no word either way on a first interview yet. I even called my HR last week to let them know that I had another job prospect (didn't tell them it was outside the company) that was moving along quickly but that I preferred this one and would like to know where I stand. I was told that HR would speak to the hiring manager to try to speed things up, but no word yet. In all honesty my chances of landing this one are probably small. I would be skipping an entire grade level to get this. I almost didn't apply for it. But HR did call me to tell me that they're interested in me...

I would definitely prefer #2 over #1, but the way things are progressing it appears I will probably have an offer from #1 before #2 has even had the first round of interviews. Ideally I would like to have both at the same time, but I don't think that will happen. I guess I will need to see how good the offer from #1 is especially since it does not have relo with it. Now, there is an option #3: stay put where I am. I have good standing where I am so it's not like I'm about to lose my job. However, we have no family here and my wife likes to remind me that I promised her when we were first married that at some point we would live by family (her family is in Pocatello with extended family in UT)...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote:...but man, it would be hard to beat Eastern Idaho if you're an outdoors type of person, especially compared to the urban/suburban jungle of Salt Lake.
Yup. It's amazing country up there. Very hard to beat east Idaho if you (and your sig. other) are outdoors people and can handle the winters.

I personally have a much higher QOL when I can get in my car and drive 15 - 30 minutes to get away from the crowd (which I found difficult in SLC and provo).

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

BroncoBot wrote:
snoscythe wrote:...but man, it would be hard to beat Eastern Idaho if you're an outdoors type of person, especially compared to the urban/suburban jungle of Salt Lake.
Yup. It's amazing country up there. Very hard to beat east Idaho if you (and your sig. other) are outdoors people and can handle the winters.

I personally have a much higher QOL when I can get in my car and drive 15 - 30 minutes to get away from the crowd (which I found difficult in SLC and provo).
That's one reason why I like Eagle Mountain, I'm 30 min from Provo, 30 min from SLC, and 10 min from outdoors.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

hawkwing wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:

That's one reason why I like Eagle Mountain, I'm 30 min from Provo, 30 min from SLC, and 10 min from outdoors.
The "outdoors" around Eagle Mountain are a pile of mouse droppings compared to what Eastern Idaho has to offer. You're comparing Utah Lake and Rush Valley/West Desert with the Snake River/Henry's Fork and the Teton Range.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Thanks for the input so far. Just to add some detail...since I am a government worker, the pay is the same in both locations. Cost of living is obviously cheaper in Idaho Falls, but based on my salary, we could still afford a decent house in Utah. I think the work in the SLC job sounds more interesting, but the upward mobility may be somewhat limited unless I adapt...which I plan on doing. Our family is all in Utah. We don't have any family in Idaho Falls anymore. Oh yeah, and my wife hates the cold weather, but is willing to go to Idaho if it is the right decision.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

snoscythe wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:

The "outdoors" around Eagle Mountain are a pile of mouse droppings compared to what Eastern Idaho has to offer. You're comparing Utah Lake and Rush Valley/West Desert with the Snake River/Henry's Fork and the Teton Range.
It's definitely not the same outdoors.