And Gary Johnson Just Lost My Vote...Crap. Now What?

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

And Gary Johnson Just Lost My Vote...Crap. Now What?

Post by Cougarfan87 »

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/gary- ... le/2598088

Seriously, one of my main turn offs on Trump and Hillary is my sincere doubt that either would support the religious freedom of Mormons. Now this.

Constitutional party, anyone?

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Re: And Gary Johnson Just Lost My Vote...Crap. Now What?

Post by hawkwing »

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Johnson because many of his positions lean extremely far left and he's very bigoted against religion.

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

Yep, I've been seeing lots of hypocrisy from people who say "Don't vote for the two most popular candidates, because they're bad, but vote for the third most popular candidate, even though he's not very good, because he's the next most popular."

I'm going to write in Mitt Romney or Ted Cruz. I've looked into candidates from the Constitution Party, the Veteran's Party, etc. and haven't found a single one that I would feel confident and happy casting my vote for.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Schmoe wrote:Yep, I've been seeing lots of hypocrisy from people who say "Don't vote for the two most popular candidates, because they're bad, but vote for the third most popular candidate, even though he's not very good, because he's the next most popular."

I'm going to write in Mitt Romney or Ted Cruz. I've looked into candidates from the Constitution Party, the Veteran's Party, etc. and haven't found a single one that I would feel confident and happy casting my vote for.
I plan on voting for the person who I feel would make the best President of the United States.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

So he uses Mormons as a hypothetical example of how religious freedom is not an absolute trump card, and he loses the Mormon vote?
Why shouldn't somebody be able to shoot somebody else because their freedom of religion says that God has spoken to them and that they can shoot somebody dead
Especially when the context of the quote indicates he misspoke and was talking about Muslims, not Mormons. He prefaces that line with "Back to Mormonism" ... and he's never mentioned Mormons once, but has mentioned Muslims twice prior.

That's some pretty thin skin if that line makes you change your mind.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

Johnson is trying to escape an issue that Ron Paul got burned on by the media. Paul was asked if he'd vote for the 1964 civil rights act. He said no because it prevents a private individual from excluding people from their property (if they own a business).

Allowing someone to discriminate based on their religious (or whatever other) beliefs isn't very popular. It is the right thing to do but Johnson is just being a politician trying to get as many votes as possible. He's wrong on this and abortion, similar to the way Romney was wrong on multiple issues.

Johnson seems like an honest guy and will be the best candidate on my ballot (Darrel Castle probably won't be an option).

Just an FYI, a write in vote is not a vote, it's an abstention. You're voting for electors (who's names you probably won't see on the ballot), not the president. If the person's name isn't on the ballot that means they haven't selected a list of electors to the state so you aren't voting for anyone.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

jvquarterback wrote:Johnson is trying to escape an issue that Ron Paul got burned on by the media. Paul was asked if he'd vote for the 1964 civil rights act. He said no because it prevents a private individual from excluding people from their property (if they own a business).

Allowing someone to discriminate based on their religious (or whatever other) beliefs isn't very popular. It is the right thing to do but Johnson is just being a politician trying to get as many votes as possible. He's wrong on this and abortion, similar to the way Romney was wrong on multiple issues.

Johnson seems like an honest guy and will be the best candidate on my ballot (Darrel Castle probably won't be an option).

Just an FYI, a write in vote is not a vote, it's an abstention. You're voting for electors (who's names you probably won't see on the ballot), not the president. If the person's name isn't on the ballot that means they haven't selected a list of electors to the state so you aren't voting for anyone.
If my vote is going to be a throwaway on a third-party candidate anyway, I'm going to vote for whom I think will make the best president and not be limited to the list that other people have chosen.

Johnson supports killing children and other things that I don't agree with. I don't care that he's sincere about his support of killing children and other things I disagree with.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

From the interviews I've read Johnson seems like a strangely strong supporter of Hillary Clinton.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

hawkwing wrote:From the interviews I've read Johnson seems like a strangely strong supporter of Hillary Clinton.
What?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Thursday afternoon, Gary Johnson and running mate Bill Weld confirmed that they’d spoken with Mitt Romney and that “he’s considering an endorsement.”

For Mitt Romney, it’s likely a matter of considering whether he’ll ultimately lose long-term clout within the Republican Party by supporting a libertarian candidate, or whether it’s worth completely ending his relationship with the party now helmed by Donald Trump.

https://heatst.com/politics/is-romney-g ... p-in-utah/

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...