And Gary Johnson Just Lost My Vote...Crap. Now What?

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: And Gary Johnson Just Lost My Vote...Crap. Now What?

Post by BlueK »

Why a Romney endorsement would be huge in Utah:

The last poll taken there has Clinton at 35%, Trump at 35% and Johnson at 13%.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... ald-trump/

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

snoscythe wrote:So he uses Mormons as a hypothetical example of how religious freedom is not an absolute trump card, and he loses the Mormon vote?
Why shouldn't somebody be able to shoot somebody else because their freedom of religion says that God has spoken to them and that they can shoot somebody dead
Especially when the context of the quote indicates he misspoke and was talking about Muslims, not Mormons. He prefaces that line with "Back to Mormonism" ... and he's never mentioned Mormons once, but has mentioned Muslims twice prior.

That's some pretty thin skin if that line makes you change your mind.
It wasn't the slip from Muslims to Mormons that bothered me. It was his stance on not really seeing a place for protecting religious liberty at all, and seeing it as a slippery slope. Based on his stance, if/when the issue of temple sealings or attending BYU comes up for openly gay people, do you think he or the Supreme Court Justices he nominates would pay deference to our deeply held religious beliefs? From what I read, I don't think so. I already had issues with his abortion and admitted pot smoking. This is just the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. Its too bad he wasn't more along Libertarian party lines for this issue, because I was hopeful. I really like that he and his VP choice balanced the budget in their states and was hoping for more of the same. In the long run, it doesn't really matter. I'm in Alabama. The electoral votes are going to Trump. So I can feel free to write my own name in if I want...and I may.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Cougarfan87 wrote:
snoscythe wrote:So he uses Mormons as a hypothetical example of how religious freedom is not an absolute trump card, and he loses the Mormon vote?
Why shouldn't somebody be able to shoot somebody else because their freedom of religion says that God has spoken to them and that they can shoot somebody dead
Especially when the context of the quote indicates he misspoke and was talking about Muslims, not Mormons. He prefaces that line with "Back to Mormonism" ... and he's never mentioned Mormons once, but has mentioned Muslims twice prior.

It wasn't the slip from Muslims to Mormons that bothered me. It was his stance on not really seeing a place for protecting religious liberty at all, and seeing it as a slippery slope. Based on his stance, if/when the issue of temple sealings or attending BYU comes up for openly gay people, do you think he or the Supreme Court Justices he nominates would pay deference to our deeply held religious beliefs? From what I read, I don't think so. I already had issues with his abortion and admitted pot smoking. This is just the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. Its too bad he wasn't more along Libertarian party lines for this issue, because I was hopeful. I really like that he and his VP choice balanced the budget in their states and was hoping for more of the same. In the long run, it doesn't really matter. I'm in Alabama. The electoral votes are going to Trump. So I can feel free to write my own name in if I want...and I may.
I admire your convictions, and that you want to hold to your conscience. And as you say, one vote isn't going to change the election. For me, I would just say it's a pretty big stretch to me to make this the reason not to vote for him based on who he might theoretically pick for the supreme court. It's unlikely he gets to that point, and even if he did, would he really make that choice based on one distinct view he holds on religious freedom which he even knows he's not in total agreement with his own party on? Unlikely. I would rather have a libertarian making appointments to the court because in general they care a lot more about a strict interpretation of the Constitution than the democrats or republicans.

I just think if he were to win and then has to nominate someone to the court, like all presidents, he's not going to find someone who he knows for a fact is going to agree with him on every single hypothetical case that may come forward in the future. He's going to select someone who shares his general philosophy. And since the religion issue you bring up isn't how most Libertarians feel, I don't think this is something to be that worried about. And that's if he wins, which of course is a great longshot. What he is accomplishing through this hopefully is to make the country aware they don't have to continue to put up with the garbage they're getting from the two major parties right now.. That's why I think you should still vote for him, but I respect your points.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

BlueK wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:

I admire your convictions, and that you want to hold to your conscience. And as you say, one vote isn't going to change the election. For me, I would just say it's a pretty big stretch to me to make this the reason not to vote for him based on who he might theoretically pick for the supreme court. It's unlikely he gets to that point, and even if he did, would he really make that choice based on one distinct view he holds on religious freedom which he even knows he's not in total agreement with his own party on? Unlikely. I would rather have a libertarian making appointments to the court because in general they care a lot more about a strict interpretation of the Constitution than the democrats or republicans.

I just think if he were to win and then has to nominate someone to the court, like all presidents, he's not going to find someone who he knows for a fact is going to agree with him on every single hypothetical case that may come forward in the future. He's going to select someone who shares his general philosophy. And since the religion issue you bring up isn't how most Libertarians feel, I don't think this is something to be that worried about. And that's if he wins, which of course is a great longshot. What he is accomplishing through this hopefully is to make the country aware they don't have to continue to put up with the garbage they're getting from the two major parties right now.. That's why I think you should still vote for him, but I respect your points.
This is a good, well written post.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

Schmoe wrote:Johnson supports killing children and other things that I don't agree with. I don't care that he's sincere about his support of killing children and other things I disagree with.
Oh come on. You wouldn't have been able to vote for Romney in Massachusetts if you believed that. I don't know what Johnson actually believes, but I doubt he supports killing children (Hillary on the other hand is all for killing as many Muslim kids as she can and Donald isn't far behind).

Like I said, I prefer Darrel Castle, but Johnson will be the best option on the ballot for me.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Actually, I was just going to post about this. It has helped resolve one of my biggest concerns, as it relates to Gary Johnson. Will the candidate protect what is most important to me, my religious freedom? I didn't have a huge issue with business not being allowed to discriminate, with some thoughtful exceptions, like the Utah law. I reacted hastily to the overbroad statements, but I will reconsider. Again, probably doesn't matter in Alabama, as it is going Trump's way here, but I am going to vote my conscience.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

It's just amazing to me that these 2 candidates are what we came up with in this cycle. there HAS to be 100s of thousands of better candidates. But thanks to media sensationalism and pure politics we end up with a pile of crap or a bucket of crap. Johnson is certainly the best vote but doesn't have a shot right now.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

To heck with this guy. He's pro-abortion, pro-gay marriage, and doesn't to support Israel. He doesn't get my vote just because he's not Hillary or Trump.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director