Trump's financial and political links to Russia, Putin and Russian mob

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Trump's financial and political links to Russia, Putin and Russian mob

Post by BoiseBYU »

Cougarfan87 wrote:I get Ddawg's point that Putin is an effective person at advancing Russian interest. However, I disagree with the term "great" leader. A leader is one who influences people in their thoughts and actions. You don't necessarily have to be in charge of anything to be a leader. A great leader is one who influences people to be better and do great things. An effective leader is one who influences people to do what he/she wants.

So, great leader...Jesus Christ, the prophets and apostles, King Benjamin, etc.
Effective leader...Satan, Hitler, Mussolini, etc.
Putin is not advancing "Russia's interests." The economy is worse off, the people are poorer, productivity is down the the citizens are less healthy. There is no free media. Religion is suppressed. Sure some of the people are happy that Russia seized the Crimea and other take pride in that they are propping up Assad, bombing hospitals and killing children, but is this really advancing the interests of Russia's people? Putin is effective at advancing Putin, but not because of talent but because he is sheared of all morals and values and is willing to murder and despoil if it stands in his way. We want to admire that? God help us.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

BoiseBYU wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:I get Ddawg's point that Putin is an effective person at advancing Russian interest. However, I disagree with the term "great" leader. A leader is one who influences people in their thoughts and actions. You don't necessarily have to be in charge of anything to be a leader. A great leader is one who influences people to be better and do great things. An effective leader is one who influences people to do what he/she wants.

So, great leader...Jesus Christ, the prophets and apostles, King Benjamin, etc.
Effective leader...Satan, Hitler, Mussolini, etc.
Putin is not advancing "Russia's interests." The economy is worse off, the people are poorer, productivity is down the the citizens are less healthy. There is no free media. Religion is suppressed. Sure some of the people are happy that Russia seized the Crimea and other take pride in that they are propping up Assad, bombing hospitals and killing children, but is this really advancing the interests of Russia's people? Putin is effective at advancing Putin, but not because of talent but because he is sheared of all morals and values and is willing to murder and despoil if it stands in his way. We want to admire that? God help us.
I see someone else made the same point and no doubt more effectively. I do not mean to appear to be piling on.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

You guys are confusing being a complete, total, "good person and a good leader" with just being a "good leader."

I get your point of view. I have been a serious student of leadership for 20+ years. Part of my resume is, I went to and graduated from the West Point Leadership Academy. It was an intensive 3 month program that lasted for 3 months, 8 hours a day, with 3-4 hours of homework every night. Every Friday we had a closed book 2 hour exam. It was not an easy course. I graduated with honors. I understand a skosh about leadership. I think we are having a semantic disagreement. Certainly a "definition" disagreement.

Jimmy Carter was a good man. A terrible leader.

Of the Top 10 Leaders of the 20th Century - Adolph Hitler is rated #2. A horrible person. A very effective leader for Germany, until his psycho craziness undid him.

Joseph Stalin is rated #4 for the 20th Century Leaders. He was a worse murderer than Hitler.

It's a rare thing to get a good man and a good leader in 1 package. When we have a Moroni, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, or Ronald Reagan - it's a rare thing.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Ddawg wrote:You guys are confusing being a complete, total, "good person and a good leader" with just being a "good leader."

I get your point of view. I have been a serious student of leadership for 20+ years. Part of my resume is, I went to and graduated from the West Point Leadership Academy. It was an intensive 3 month program that lasted for 3 months, 8 hours a day, with 3-4 hours of homework every night. Every Friday we had a closed book 2 hour exam. It was not an easy course. I graduated with honors. I understand a skosh about leadership. I think we are having a semantic disagreement. Certainly a "definition" disagreement.

Jimmy Carter was a good man. A terrible leader.

Of the Top 10 Leaders of the 20th Century - Adolph Hitler is rated #2. A horrible person. A very effective leader for Germany, until his psycho craziness undid him.

Joseph Stalin is rated #4 for the 20th Century Leaders. He was a worse murderer than Hitler.

It's a rare thing to get a good man and a good leader in 1 package. When we have a Moroni, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, or Ronald Reagan - it's a rare thing.
I think You are right that we have a definitional issue. I don't think I'm confusing good guys with good leaders. In my book, a "great" leader is not great because he accomplishes something. And it is not because he or she is a good,person. I get that. I think a leader is great if he or she left things better. The Stalins and Hitlers and Putins have accomplished things to be sure, but only because they were willing to slaughter, silence, poison, strangle and kill people and in the end things were not better. But to the point here, Trump thinks Putin is just "great." In a world where might makes right, maybe that makes sense. But it is sickening. I do not want my President admiring such a monster.