Could use a little programming Help

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
StatsCougar
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Could use a little programming Help

Post by StatsCougar »

To get away from the politic topic here in the lounge.

I've been working on a Master's degree for the past four years (online) and I am getting ready for my final project/Thesis. My advisor has signed off the topic, which is looking at the reliability of college offenses and how that relates to the probability of victory. (Did a trial version of this paper in a class).

I would like some help with extracting information from ESPN's gamecast, so I have a good dataset to work with. The data appears to be stored in XML. The issue for me, is the ability to comb through ESPN's website pulling all the information I need quickly, rather than going through each link by hand to find all the games. Can any one lend me a hand?

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Could use a little programming Help

Post by hawkwing »

I may be able to. What info do you have about where the is stored and what the schema looks like?

StatsCougar
BLUEshirt

Post by StatsCougar »

What I have for information is what I have been able to gather from looking html files on ESPN's website (hitting F12). The schedule for each is located by team http://espn.go.com/college-football/tea ... year/[year]. This would give the schedules. Each schedule will have games ids that will link to the gamecast http://espn.go.com/college-football/pla ... Id=[gameid]. This will have the game information. I believe that the play-play information goes back to 2009. I was able to pull all team ids by going through a HTML file. I you are would like, I have those saved in a spreadsheet that I can send you.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

send them my way, you can send them to chad [at] cougarcorner [dot] com

StatsCougar
BLUEshirt