Utah Delegates threatened with violence, Mormon's "on the list"

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Utah Delegates threatened with violence, Mormon's "on the list"

Post by hawkwing »

Comments going around about how Utah delegates were threatened with violence, murder, told to kill themselves by Trump delegates at the National Convention. Also rumors that top Trump advisers are suggesting that Mormon's be tracked via database along with Muslims and other non-Christian groups as well as tax-exempt status be revoked for not supporting Trump.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Re: Utah Delegates threatened with violence, Mormon's "on the list"

Post by Cougarfan87 »

hawkwing wrote:Comments going around about how Utah delegates were threatened with violence, murder, told to kill themselves by Trump delegates at the National Convention. Also rumors that top Trump advisers are suggesting that Mormon's be tracked via database along with Muslims and other non-Christian groups as well as tax-exempt status be revoked for not supporting Trump.
That was my vibe from him. This reminds me so much of the candidates that were running in Joseph Smith's time. Both the Whigs and the Democrats would come to Nauvoo and talk about how they would stick up for the Mormon people, and then go around talking to others about how the Mormons were the problem. Ultimately it is what led to Joseph Smith being nominated as President, though it appears he accepted the idea half heartedly. His ideas on using the U.S. treasury to buy the freedom of slaves, and to lend support for Texas independence were revolutionary and very popular among the steam boat crowds, but deep down, I think he knew he didn't really have a chance.

Spoiler alert: In the end, no one stood up for the Mormons in Nauvoo.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

hawkwing wrote:Comments going around about how Utah delegates were threatened with violence, murder, told to kill themselves by Trump delegates at the National Convention. Also rumors that top Trump advisers are suggesting that Mormon's be tracked via database along with Muslims and other non-Christian groups as well as tax-exempt status be revoked for not supporting Trump.
This is as true as the Big XII inviting Utah and then taking Cincy -- it's pure crap. You know this because Trump has never said there should be a tracking database of all Muslims, it was just the convoluted interpretation of one of a single word answer to a question a lefty asked him.

Again, not voting for Trump, don't much like him, but this kind of over-the-top rumormongering is pretty absurd.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Agree with Schmoe, making a mountain of a molehill.

You can find what actually happened (she was told "she should die" which is much less than a death threat, and she was never touched) here...

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/u ... d-bathroom

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Telling someone that they should die counts as a death threat in my book and those people should be prosecuted. However, in the link provided it was Trump supporters not anyone from the actual Trump campaign that did this.

Not a big Trump fan either, but no need to lie and make stuff up. Provide links and evidence if you're going to make such claims.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

he did say it was trump delegates who made the threat.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Trump delegates clearly made the thread and intimidation. There is no denying that. Rules and procedures that should have been followed at the convention were not, because of Trump delegates and supporters. As for the anti-Mormon actions Trump would pursue if he were ever to be elected, you can easily find many anti-Mormon statements from him supporters, followers, and advisers on Twitter. Trump has already said he would remove Constitutionally protected rights from Reporters, Muslims, and others who disagree with him, so it's no stretch at all to see that the same would come against Mormons when the forefront of the Never Trump campaign is Mitt Romney, and that LDS people in large percentages reject Trump and refuse to support his evil campaign.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

hawkwing wrote: ...... rumors that top Trump advisers are suggesting that Mormon's be tracked via database along with Muslims and other non-Christian groups as well as tax-exempt status be revoked for not supporting Trump.
Don't believe it for a second. The Fed's can't even track illegal aliens that have committed felonies.

Not near the realm of being true. Juicy talking point though.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

If you think Trump is anti LDS wait until hillary rodham attacks religion. She is clever (not the same as intelligent) in staying out of it now but if you trust her more than Trump, good luck.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

nuk13 wrote:If you think Trump is anti LDS wait until hillary rodham attacks religion. She is clever (not the same as intelligent) in staying out of it now but if you trust her more than Trump, good luck.
Bingo! Hillary is a venomous snake - coiled and ready to strike.