Upgrading My Computer

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Upgrading My Computer

Post by byufan4ever »

Over the weekend I was playing a game online with my brother and the game suddenly minimized and I had a pop up asking me if I wanted to update to Windows 10 (still on Windows 7! :) ), I quickly clicked the red X so I could get back to my game. Well, about 10 minutes later the game suddenly minimizes again and then closes by itself and then my computer starts shutting down! I had no idea what was going on and then a message came up: "Preparing for Windows 10 Update." WHAT?! I didn't want that! So I hit the power button to force my computer to shut off cold turkey. I know you're not suppose to do that, but I did not want Windows 10. Two reboots later and my computer seemed back to normal.

Well, yesterday, I come home from work and notice a new Windows logo as the background on my computer. My kids are homeschooled so I asked what they did and one of them replied that the same pop up came up and even though they clicked the red X like I had Windows/Microsoft decided to force the update! I was SUPER pissed! First, I didn't want the change. Second, I wasn't there when it happened. Luckily, everything appears in-tact that I had before. But I did have some initial issues playing a Java based game.

I HATE Microsoft. They shouldn't be able to force this update on me. Maybe one of the kids (accidently) scheduled the update because I know I didn't. Sure, I planned on upgrading at SOME point. But I wanted to do it on my schedule when I was ready. After talking to an IT guy that I know at both church and work he wasn't really surprised. :angry: :angry:

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Microsoft does tend to push things.

That being said, I've found Windows 10 to be an excellent operating system. Much superior to 8, and 7.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

http://www.computerworld.com/article/30 ... ws-10.html

http://betanews.com/2016/02/02/microsof ... -is-wrong/

Apparently Microsoft made a change so that any computer set to install recommended Windows updates will automatically update to Windows 10. I feel like Microsoft is becoming Genisys from Terminator Genisys. In the movie it is a soon-to-be-unveiled operating system that will be used on every computer system worldwide and it is Skynet's precursor (Skynet controls the terminators)...

sladesy
Gray Shirt

Post by sladesy »

pcpartpicker is a resource I use when building or upgrading my computers. They have a lot of resources like being able to see what parts are compatible. so if you find a mobo/cpu combo you like you can make sure your ram is compatible with that motherboard.

https://pcpartpicker.com/

as to the windows force updating to windows 10 . that is really annoying and there are a couple registry edits that can be made to turn that off. but it sounds like it already happened for you. windows 10 is far superior to the previous windows operating systems though.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Ok, this is a really noob question. Is my OS (now Windows 10) tied to my motherboard or hard drive? If I swap in a new motherboard (and CPU) will I have to do a clean OS install? Since I'm not taking out my hard drive do I need to back up and transfer all of my software and files?

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

The answer is maybe. The OS uses identifiers from the MB and CPU to track that it's licensed. It can be possible to move that, but do some research. Sometimes it's easier to do a fresh install, but Windows 10 may have made it easier to upgrade mobo. I'm not sure.

sladesy
Gray Shirt

Post by sladesy »

the free Windows 10 upgrade that they force on you is tied to your motherboard.however microsoft says that they will activate it on a new motherboard if you contact them.

http://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-to- ... -hardware/