Prophets on Politics and Leaders

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Prophets on Politics and Leaders

Post by byufan4ever »

jvquarterback wrote: I think it is clear Clinton falls into the category Hyrum Smith said it would be sinful to vote for. I wouldn't say the same about Trump. I don't plan on voting for him but I can't go so far as to call him wicked.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion of Trump. I'm not sure if you've only been following him since this election. But it has been the opinion of many many people for a long time that Trump is an immoral person who will do anything and step on anyone to earn a cent. When I was studying business at BYU-I in 2003ish, David Bednar (then President of BYU-I) came into one of my business classes and talked about leadership. He specifically called out Trump as an example of what a good businessman and leader should NOT be. I've only known Bednar to be an upbeat person but he did not have nice things to say about Trump. I would certainly call Trump wicked.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Funny primary rally news. My son (lives in Springville) got off work yesterday (5 pm) and drove up to the Trump rally in SLC - just wanted to get in and watch the happenings. No way. By the time he got there, it was filled up and closed. So he stayed out side and watched the leftie protestors and the PD "do their dance." He said it was an interesting sight - entertaining.

Today he went to the Ted Cruz rally at Provo High. No idea if he made it in. He txt'd me that the line was very long.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Well, the Church did kill Utah's recent medical marijuana bill, which I think was short-sighted, based on a healthy dose of ignorance. Good people can do stupid things.

Of course, none of our current presidential candidates are good people to begin with.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Mars wrote:
Well, the Church did kill Utah's recent medical marijuana bill, which I think was short-sighted, based on a healthy dose of ignorance. Good people can do stupid things.

Of course, none of our current presidential candidates are good people to begin with.
Medical marijuana isn't about medical "benefits." It's about being able to smoke marijuana.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SpiffCoug wrote:
Mars wrote:

Medical marijuana isn't about medical "benefits." It's about being able to smoke marijuana.
I currently work at a VA. The state I'm in allows medical grass. There have been several dozen veterans who smoke marijuana and say that was the only way they were able to get off the pain pill addiction. Personally, I'd rather have someone smoking weed legally than popping narcs legally(?).

recreational weed? it's a lost battle. put it in the same category as tobacco and etoh (which are going to kill more Americans and will cost our country more overall) and lets move on already.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

True. Let's get Phillip Morris in the weed business so the gov't can regulate and tax it.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Weed is barely even a drug. Heroine, Spice, those are drugs. Alcohol, that's a drug. Oxycodone, that's a drug. Weed is more of an anti-depressant.

The idea of someone with terminal cancer eating pot brownies makes me feel good, plain and simple. Cancer sucks.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

According to this marijuana is not as harmless as many claim...
most_dangerous_drugs.0.png

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Where do you draw the line? especially with alcohol at #1? Time for prohibition II? Tobacco vs cocaine a dead tie basically? Why do we allow tobacco that with its associated socioeconomic risks?

That chart only reinforces my views on marijuana as about as harmless as they come. If you take out the "illegal" part of marijuana how much does the "harm to users" and "harm to others" drop? Suddenly your not arresting these guys which nearly eliminates societies need to regulate it, they're not a burden in jail(harms self and others), they aren't killing each other in the streets over turf wars and dealings, you're not providing dealers (the real scumbags) with oodles of cash etc etc etc. making marijuana illegal and being ok with alcohol and tobacco is just backwards.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

In the dedicatory prayer for the Provo City Center Temple, President Nelson prayed that God would "Inspire and strengthen those who seek to preserve our Constitutional form of government."

Pretty strong indication that the brethren are keenly aware of the direction of this country.