Making a Murderer

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Making a Murderer

Post by hawkwing »

This 10 part docu-series on Netflix is literally must watch. Now the actions of these evil and corrupt law enforcement agencies don't reflect all law enforcement, but they do put some things in a negative light.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Making a Murderer

Post by jvquarterback »

Great documentary. One more reason to distrust cops, crime labs, and attorneys who work for the state. The system is too stacked against anyone accused. It's worse for Stephen Avery but no one is presumed innocent anymore.

I once had a cop get up in court and concoct a whole conversation that allegedly happened during a traffic stop. I've never answered a single question in the past 30 years from a cop but he had two pages of my answers to his questions.

People keep saying there are good cops but it's tough to agree when the only cop I've interacted with in 25 years was a lying scoundrel.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

I watched it. I don't know if he's guilty, but I think there was enough for reasonable doubt. I think it's possible the cops planted the evidence without framing him. I think it was his defense attorney who said you don't plant evidence on the innocent. You plant evidence to ensure the conviction of those you think are guilty.

I don't think the cops know how, where or when she died. I think they zeroed in on Mr. Avery and stopped doing any real investigating. This led to a shoddy investigation that they then had to "help" by conveniently finding the necessary evidence. I think they worked with Teresa Hallbach's family and searchers to find the car.

I think the nephew is a complete mental lightweight who didn't know what he was doing, what he was saying or anything. I feel for him to a degree because he doesn't seem to have much intelligence at all, but I don't think he was completely blameless. I don't think he wanted to confess and that he did want to tell the police what they wanted to hear. It's possible that, like I said, the police didn't do a good investigation, so they went fishing. He could have been a "catch" but they weren't leading him to where he would take them, but where they wanted him to go. That could be why he was so confused.

The final episode with the prosecutor's debauchery didn't seem to make sense. Not sure how relevant it was. The missing jury would have been more compelling if we had actually been told what the emergency was that saw them dismissed. Was it legit? Was it just the judge/prosecution getting rid of a strong believer in Mr. Avery's defense they didn't want tainting the other jurors. It's what they seemed to suggest, but without the reason, I thought it fell flat.

But I'm not also sold on the veracity of the entirety of the documentary. They basically followed this family and community that is less than 50 miles from Green Bay, Wisc. and I don't think I ever once saw ANY Packers gear. You mean to tell me, not ONE person in two and a half decades ever wore anything Packers related? That's just hard to follow. That's like saying, we're going to follow a murder suspect in Payson for nearly 30 years and never see any BYU gear.

And their accents were atrocious. I had to watch with subtitles. Were they Gaelic? Manx?

Some life lessons. Never talk to the police without legal counsel. Don't get on the wrong side of law enforcement. Don't throw cats doused with gasoline over a fire. Don't kill people.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I'm 90% convinced he didn't do it.

I'm 100% convinced the police planted evidence, and I think that will be proven eventually. Even if he did it, he should be freed due to the illegal activities of the police and judicial system.

My own personal theory is that the police found Teresa near her van where she had committed suicide and decided to kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak, and pin the whole thing on Avery who was about to cost them their jobs, their families, and their names.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

One other thing that struck me as odd - and pretty much unrelated to the case - was the footage of her talking just before her death about how she wanted people to know she was happy and loved. What kind of 25-year old talks like that? I don't remember having those kinds of conversations when I was 25.

Maybe there is some truth to Hawk's suicide theory and the cops decided to pin it on Avery.

(8.4x
..................ATT
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

A Milwaukee radio station has released a great series of podcasts/ articles that debunk many of the claims made in the obviously slanted documentary.

http://www.newstalk1130.com/onair/commo ... -14280387/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(8.4x
..................ATT
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Many of which can be debunked themselves, the fact is, we'll probably never know for certain if he did it or not, but I don't believe anyone can argue or believe that the sheriffs did not plant evidence, and were aided by the sex abuser DA, and corrupt judge.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

hawkwing wrote:Many of which can be debunked themselves, the fact is, we'll probably never know for certain if he did it or not, but I don't believe anyone can argue or believe that the sheriffs did not plant evidence, and were aided by the sex abuser DA, and corrupt judge.
True, but I don't think the case is near as circumstantial and framed as the documentary wants to portray.

(8.4x
..................ATT
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

SpiffCoug wrote:
hawkwing wrote:Many of which can be debunked themselves, the fact is, we'll probably never know for certain if he did it or not, but I don't believe anyone can argue or believe that the sheriffs did not plant evidence, and were aided by the sex abuser DA, and corrupt judge.
True, but I don't think the case is near as circumstantial and framed as the documentary wants to portray.
Avery was framed. Maybe correctly, maybe incorrectly but Avery was almost certainly framed. I'm not sure if he did it but I'm nearly certain at least one cop framed him.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams