Jonathan Johnson for Utah Governor

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jonathan Johnson for Utah Governor

Post by hawkwing »

hawkwing wrote:Herbert's approval rating and polling among voters in Utah is in the 60-70% rate, JJ is < 20%. There are a much higher number of delegates who support JJ over Herbert but they are not in the same proportion as the general public. Governor Herbert will easily win reelection.
Looks like the polling was exactly right.

JJ seems like a decent guy, but he had a very poor campaign and no real message.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:Herbert's approval rating and polling among voters in Utah is in the 60-70% rate, JJ is < 20%. There are a much higher number of delegates who support JJ over Herbert but they are not in the same proportion as the general public. Governor Herbert will easily win reelection.
Looks like the polling was exactly right.

JJ seems like a decent guy, but he had a very poor campaign and no real message.
I was very disappointed in Johnson's "campaign" after the convention. It was non-existant. His presence was limited to social media posts and promotions, and a couple of fliers. Otherwise all he did was complain about Herbert not debating before the primary. There was no get-out-the-vote initiative or other grassroots stimulation, no rallies/townhalls, no meet-the-candidate forums, and no traditional media presence or advertising. I kept waiting for some late push or blanket campaign, but nothing. Nothing at all.

My impression is that he punted on the whole thing when he couldn't salt it away at the convention. Put all his eggs in that basket, and came up short.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Disappointing. I didn't like Herbert because I didn't think he represented the people of Utah, but in this election cycle he revealed himself to be a sleaze and a slimy politician. The state of Utah deserves better.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Utah may deserve better than Herbert, though the state is doing very well with him, but I don't think Jordan Johnson is the guy who's better. Like sno I was very interested to see how he would campaign after he did so much to wine and dine a few key players during the Repub Caucus, but I never heard a legitimate campaign statement from him again. Honestly if you didn't see a lone JJ yard sign every few days you'd have forgotten he was even running.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

hawkwing wrote:Utah may deserve better than Herbert, though the state is doing very well with him, but I don't think Jordan Johnson is the guy who's better. Like sno I was very interested to see how he would campaign after he did so much to wine and dine a few key players during the Repub Caucus, but I never heard a legitimate campaign statement from him again. Honestly if you didn't see a lone JJ yard sign every few days you'd have forgotten he was even running.
Yep, the campaign wasn't good. Utah doing well has very little to do with Herbert, it's pretty easy to govern a very conservative state with strong family/religious/moral values and good business -- just don't do anything to get in the way and screw it up.

I haven't been impressed with Herbert's inaction on the few things that did need to be addressed (like common core), and have been downright appalled by his refusal to represent his constituency in regards to constitutional carry. Now we find out he offered "to sit down with [lobbyists'] clients in exchange for a campaign contribution and calling himself "Available Jones," a comic strip character willing to do anything for a price." Just another sleazy, two-faced, piece-of-crap politician who will do anything to stay in office.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,