Word of the Day

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Word of the Day

Post by urroner »

animadversion\an-uh-mad-VUHR-zhuhn\ , noun;
1. Harsh criticism or disapproval.
2. Remarks by way of criticism and usually of censure -- often used with 'on'.

Origin: Animadversion is from Latin animadversio, animadversion-, from animadversus, past participle of animadvertere, "to turn the mind toward," from animus, "mind, spirit" + advertere, "to turn toward," from ad, "toward" + vertere, "to turn."

The liberals spoke with great animadversion on the way FOX News spoke of great animadversion on the way the liberals spoke with great animadversion on the way FOX News spoke of ......... :gross: :gross:

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

namby-pamby \nam-bee-PAM-bee\ adjective
1 : lacking in character or substance : insipid
2 : weak, indecisive

:utard: :utard: :utard: :utard: :utard: :utard: :utard:

Need I say more?

From answer.com:
WORD HISTORY We are being very literary when we call someone a namby-pamby, a word derived from the name of Ambrose Philips, a little-known 18th-century poet whose verse incurred the sharp ridicule of his contemporaries Alexander Pope and Henry Carey. Their ridicule, inspired by political differences and literary rivalry, had little to do with the quality of Philips's poetry. In poking fun at some children's verse written by Philips, Carey used the nickname Namby Pamby: "So the Nurses get by Heart Namby Pamby's Little Rhimes." Pope then used the name in the 1733 edition of his satirical epic The Dunciad. The first part of Carey's coinage came from Amby, or Ambrose. Pamby repeated the sound and form but added the initial of Philips's name. Such a process of repetition is called reduplication. After being popularized by Pope, namby-pamby went on to be used generally for people or things that are insipid, sentimental, or weak.

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

temerarious /tem-uh-rair-ee-uhs/ –adjective
reckless; rash.
Origin:1525–35; < L temerarius, equiv. to temer(e) blindly, heedlessly + -arius -ary

Poking fun at the mods can be a temerarious action. :P :P

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

kerfuffle -noun
commotion, disruption, disturbance, flutter, hoo-ha

Etymology: alteration of carfuffle, from Scots car- (probably from Scottish Gaelic cearr wrong, awkward) + fuffle to become disheveled
Date: 1946

In Star Wars, Obi-Wan Kenobi, when Alderaan was destroyed, was supposed to have originally said "I felt a great kerfuffle in the Force, as if millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced," but it didn't sound right. Kerfuffle sounds like what you do with the blankets in your wife's face when you really let one rip while in bed.

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

Okay, here is a totally worthless word, but it is a delightful word none the less.

VACCIMULGENCE - verb
Milking of a cow. For schmoe, it's the milking of a moooooooo-cow. :P Okay, I apologize schmoe, that was udderly bad.

From http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-vac2.htm:
This word popped up in a book I happened to be reading the other day, Appleby’s End, one of the more skittish and fanciful works of the late Michael Innes (the pen name of the Oxford scholar J I M Stewart). Inspector Appleby is investigating strange goings-on in a rural neighbourhood and visits an old woman, of whom the local vicar says, “Since girlhood she has been celebrated in this part of the countryside for her skill in vaccimulgence.” Putting it another way, she was a milkmaid.

Mr Innes was not the first to employ this weird word, for it turns up in a whimsical letter written by Samuel Taylor Coleridge in November 1796: “Will you try to look out for a fit servant for us, simple of heart, physiognomically handsome, and scientific in vaccimulgence. That last word is a new one, but soft in sound, and full of expression. Vaccimulgence! I am pleased with the word.” Alas, few others have been, to judge from its limited appearances in print.

It is, as you may guess, derived from Latin vacca, a cow (which is also the origin of vaccine, because the first was derived by Dr Jenner from cowpox to guard against the much more serious smallpox (Note: Cool beans dude. Words are fun, not as fun as arranging my toenail cutting collection, but they are fun.)). The ending is from the Latin verb emulgere, to milk out, which — as well as being the ultimate origin of emulsion — is the root of another very rare word, emulgence, the action of milking out, as for example in extracting money from the unwilling.

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

HAHA, LOL!

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

Pardinbumper - noun (slang)

A silly sort of man that bumps into only the finest of chicks so as to say "Pardon me... by the by, what was yer name?"

Urroner Homer was alone at Schmoe's Super Trooper party, he was only invited because he has a good deal of cash. He sees Clelest Zoobie (who is BYU's head cheerleader) and bumps his hip carefully into hers.

UH: "Oh... pardon me miss... you remind me of donut grease, cause you are hot and your eyes are as cougar blue as my toilet water at home!!! BTW, what is your name babe?"

CZ: "I don't want to do this you pardinbumper. Goodnight."

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

You seem to have remembered incorrectly, it was not a "Super Troopers" party, it was a "Hot Rod" party, that movie absolutely cracks me up, Andy Samberg is HILARIOUS!!

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Where are you getting all of these words from? Did you open your christmas present early?

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

scott715 wrote:Where are you getting all of these words from? Did you open your christmas present early?
Some I know, some I just read in books, and some I hear in conversation.