Books to recommend

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Books to recommend

Post by BoiseBYU »

At the good suggestion of Hawkwing, let's have a thread on books you would absolutely recommend. Any and all recommends welcome!

So to repost what i said on another thread and to get us going, here are my first recommends:

Three Cups of Tea; Mountains Beyond Mountains; A Brief History on Time; The Creators; The Discoverers; A Thread of Grace; Mila 18; Shogun; 1776; Roots; Jesus the Christ (alltime favorite)

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Books to recommend

Post by hawkwing »

Fantasy:
The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and now Brandon Sanderson - I absolutely love this series. It's gone from great, to bad, to really good again. I feel like this series really shaped a lot of my beliefs.

Sci-Fi
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - another classic. Very good story telling and characterization.

Mystery
Harry Bosch books by Michael Connely - do your best to read these in order, even though the books don't give you any indication what the order is. Harry Bosch is an LA Detective and has many interesting adventures, but it seems to me the most interesting things about the books are the people in them and their strengths and flaws.

Thriller
Just about anything by David Baldacci, like the Camel Club or his Secret Service books. Very entertaining, quick reads.

Non Fiction
Freakenomics - economists examine subjects they don't normally look at, everything from abortion and crime rates to drug cartels employee hierarchy. Fascinating views of subjects like you've never thought of them before.

1776 by David McCullough - An awesome book about the year 1776 and our struggle for independence. It was so good at the end that I wished it had covered more years. Any fan of American history must read this book.

Religious
Everything by Hugh Nibley or James Talmage

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

If you're looking for laughs, any Dortmunder Book by Donald Westlake, or the Jeeves/Wooster stories by P.G. Wodehouse.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

I'll go ahead and bite:

Philisophy/Fiction
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Who is John Galt? Another book I try to read regularly. It is a truly hefty read, but once you get some momentum it moves quickly. I put this at the top of my list as its warning is becoming more and more relevant to modern politics and society. A tale of how heavy-handed government both stifles innovation and hope and drives great men and women to lives of seclusion instead of contribution.

Fantasy:
The Once and Future King by T.H. White. I'm not much of a fantasy reader outside of Tolkien, but I read this book when I was 9 and I still try to read it once a year. It's fantasy, but written around the myths of King Arthur, so it has a familiar feel, yet the writing is out of this world.

Thriller
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I know, it seems like a bit of a punt to pick something off of the current best-seller lists, but this was my favorite Brown book. It's not his best work--most quasi-intelligent readers know where it ends within the first couple of chapters and the last couple of chapters are drivel in my mind, but the subject matter is riveting to me as a US history buff. Brown has an uncanny ability to draw connections between facts and events, and the Americana in this book is must-read material. Just leave Jesus alone already though.

History
A Terrible Glory by James Donovan. The most objective and informed look at Custer and the Battle of the Little Bighorn I have read to date. A sobering look at the politics and hubris within the post-Civil War American Army.

The American Revolution by John H. Rhodehamel. For the true American Revolution buff, this is a must-read. It is not a book so much as a collection of original writings. You learn about Lexington and Concord from the journals of the Redcoats who were harrassed along the highway and you read their fear and indignation about the guerilla tactics. Nothing beats firsthand, as shown by the popularity of McCullough's stuff lately. This book is hard to find, and a bit pricey, so look for it in a library (BYU has it).

Morality
The Very Persistent Gappers of Frip by George Saunders. Another out of print book, but a great parable for adults and children. It's a short book (think Max Lucado books) with terrific illustrations, but teaches the virtues of work, persistence, charity and accountability.

FWIW, here's my goodreads:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1319499

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

For just pure entertainment, I don't think you can beat Max Brooks' "World War Z" (though it is a little vulgar). I've just been reading "Case Histories" by Kate Atkinson, which I find quite enjoyable as well.

Other books: Scott Card--"Ender's Game" (and most Ender and Shadow books) and "Homebody" (so under appreciated)

Anne Rice--"Interview with a vampire" (movie totally sucked, though)

And I'll add more as I think of them, my mind has blanked at the moment...

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Jesus the Christ, Ender's Game, Freakenomics, 1776, The Lost Symbol, World War "Z", I'll second all of those.

Ender's Game got me to read Timewatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus. One of the best, most thought-provoking books of all time.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

I love reading this thread. I have a lot of reading to do. I want to especially call out two books you might not have heard that I listed. Thread of Grace, by Mary Russell is historical fiction, revolvoing around the efforts of northern Italians who protected Jews from the Nazis during WW II. While the characters are fictionalized, the events are based on true life accounts. The writing is pure literature and the courage of the people and the things they did, often for and on behalf of strangers, brought tears to my eyes. It is rare that a book brings that sort of emotion and feeling for me. The other is Three Cups of Tea and follows Greg Mortenson's efforts to bring education to the children, especially girls, in Pakistan and Afghanistan. It is unbelievable the good that this one man has accomplished. He has probably done more for the good will of our country in that region than any other single person. Read it and be amazed and humbled

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Mars wrote:
Jesus the Christ, Ender's Game, Freakenomics, 1776, The Lost Symbol, World War "Z", I'll second all of those.

Ender's Game got me to read Timewatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus. One of the best, most thought-provoking books of all time.
Timewatch was absolutely AMAZING. Orson is finally revisiting it and writing 2 new Timewatch books. I can't wait.

Another overlooked book by Card is Lostboys, which is a great story.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

hawkwing wrote:
Mars wrote:

Timewatch was absolutely AMAZING. Orson is finally revisiting it and writing 2 new Timewatch books. I can't wait.

Another overlooked book by Card is Lostboys, which is a great story.
Wow...Card fans...seriously. I guess we ARE mormons, but simply loved pastwatch.

Lostboys...you read it and keep reading it and you're not sure exactly why because it's not entirely riveting. Somewhat mundane...but then you get to the end. And it has one of the best endings of any book...ever. Seriously. Tell me a book with a better ending.

CAFB_04-12
All-American

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

I recommend this great book called Twilight. Maybe you've heard about it. It's about vampires that try not to eat people... :)

Seriously, I finished Lone Survivor this summer. A really great story about a Navy SEAL team ambushed and killed (all but one guy) in Afghanistan. The rescue effort was a disaster when the Taliban shot down the rescue helo carrying rescue SEALs and SF. The account of how Lt. Michael Murphy won the Medal of Honor is very good.