Alteraction (Minor) in Church This Morning

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
1967cougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Alteraction (Minor) in Church This Morning

Post by 1967cougar »

So I'm waiting for Sunday School class to start and happened to mention to someone that my favorite team yesterday (Wyoming) let me down. I had to explain that my 2nd favorite team every weak is whoever is playing the Tards. I got bombarded with this can't-we-all-just-get-alongism and pull for the "State's" team. I told them that in my mind, the USU Aggies were the "State's" team, or SUU, or UVU. or Weber, but certainly not the Tards. I calmly said that the U was "Satan's Team." Of course, I was off the deep end by now but it was getting everyone's ire up. I started hearing about all the RMs that attend there and I countered with Sunday practices. They countered with the Institute building. I countered with Evolution being a required course. It was all good fun for most of us then one ignorant Sister said, "Then how come most of the prophets went there." I really love that one. So I stood up and started telling how even prophets as recent as President Gordon B. Hinckley didn't have the financial option to drive the old family jalopy 40 miles over bad roads each day of the school year. Transportation wasn't like it is today and, if it were, all the Prophets would have gone to BYU. By now I'm being called an unreasonable radical. So I launched into a tirade asking "Where do BYU's Presidents come from these days? Oh my, they are General Authorities. The last two non-GA Presidents of BYU, what are they doing now? Oh my, they are in the Quorum of the Twelve. The last two Presidents of the U, where are they and what are they doing?" Since they didn't have any answers, they told me to sit down and shut up - class needed to start.

It was a good way to start a class. I know I certainly feel better.

Schmoe
Retired

Re: Alteraction (Minor) in Church This Morning

Post by Schmoe »

Haha, "can't we all just get along?" Sure, you just forfeit what you believe and go along with what I believe, then we'll get along just fine. Otherwise, just shut up, we'll all get along better if you don't ask if we can all just get along!

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Very nicely done.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

This type of exchange with your ute buddies (or even ute non-buddies) is great. This type of exchange in Sunday school---I'm not so sure anymore. Maybe it's completely harmless, but I can see it being interpreted as self-righteous to those who don't usually participate in smack talk between the schools, and I also see the potential for convincing some fence-sitters to root for the wrong team for the wrong reasons.

Isn't that mostly who fills the stands at rice-eccles in November, people who aren't really fans of the u but just cheering against BYU? It is their fault for being offended, but let's not encourage them, either.

1967cougar
Junior

Post by 1967cougar »

Duly noted, Sammich. Although the ones who really get irritated over the holier-than-thou attitude are the Yewtskis and it's just so much fun to see their 30 IQ brains trying to work at a 40 IQ level and come up with a response which they are totally incapable of doing because it requires innovative thought and clear speech.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Sammich wrote: Isn't that mostly who fills the stands at rice-eccles in November, people who aren't really fans of the u but just cheering against BYU?
No, that's all of who fills the stands at rice-checkles :lol:

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

1967cougar wrote:Duly noted, Sammich. Although the ones who really get irritated over the holier-than-thou attitude are the Yewtskis and it's just so much fun to see their 30 IQ brains trying to work at a 40 IQ level and come up with a response which they are totally incapable of doing because it requires innovative thought and clear speech.
Right, and it's all fine in a setting where your audience is comprised of utes. Then irritating them is not only okay, but required.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

contention: bad
altercation : vindicating

it's all how you spin it

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

And here I thought you were talking about some exciting stuff around the altar...

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

1967cougar wrote: "Then how come most of the prophets went there."
In the future you may try the line of "That's why they're still on the earth." All of their friends with the same level of spirituality who went to BYU have already been translated; however these poor guys were to be "left behind" by the lord, so he sent them to the U.