BYU Pfizer and Celebrex

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
CougarClaw
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU Pfizer and Celebrex

Post by CougarClaw »

Anyone heard this story about BYU suing Pfizer for a patent dispute over Celebrex? Pfizer's Celebrex sales have been in the Billions (with a "b") over the last few years and has been one of their landmark drugs. Apparently they ripped it off a BYU professor.

and today Pfizer got hit with a serious fine for their delay (it's been years!) on the discovery period.

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_13660948

This first happened when I was working at Pfizer and I had forgotten about it. If BYU wins the lawsuit for the $1 billion and change they're asking for...wow.

I think the church might lower tithing for a year if that happened. That's a boatload of cash and Pfizer isn't saying much other than the case is baseless, but BYU sure seems to be making noise about the merits of their case.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: BYU Pfizer and Celebrex

Post by hawkwing »

We have a good lawyer too, Dallin H. Oaks! :)

On an unrelated but similar note did you see that Pepsi lost a judgment for $1.4 billion dollars the other day because they decided not to show up to a case where some guy was suing them for stealing the bottled water idea?

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: BYU Pfizer and Celebrex

Post by Mars »

hawkwing wrote: did you see that Pepsi lost a judgment for $1.4 billion dollars the other day because they decided not to show up to a case where some guy was suing them for stealing the bottled water idea?
Their secretary forgot to pass along the summons that came in the mail. :lol:

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars