The future of BYU bball, by position

BYU Cougars on the court.
Post Reply
User avatar
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Posts: 11954
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:35 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Eagle Mountain, UT
Contact:

The future of BYU bball, by position

Post by hawkwing » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:38 am

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... klNV1JySnc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
craigoscarson
Pro
Posts: 3268
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:05 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The future of BYU bball, by position

Post by craigoscarson » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:53 pm

Thanks to Greg Rose (bro of mike, nephew of dave) for this awesome spreadsheet

User avatar
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Posts: 11954
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:35 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Eagle Mountain, UT
Contact:

Re: The future of BYU bball, by position

Post by hawkwing » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:59 pm

craigoscarson wrote:Thanks to Greg Rose (bro of mike, nephew of dave) for this awesome spreadsheet
And thanks to you, Craig, for bringing it to our attention.

AZman
Recruit
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:17 am
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The future of BYU bball, by position

Post by AZman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:44 am

Very nicely organized...lets hope we see more 3 and 4 star recruits filling up the empty scholarships!

bball
Sophomore
Posts: 425
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:37 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The future of BYU bball, by position

Post by bball » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:29 pm

One of the guys BYU is looking at is a 5'11" guard named Dantley Walker from Lincoln County H.S. in Nevada. Dantley is an extremely skilled player, but maybe just a bit short for BYU to take. Utah State, however, seems to be more interested in Dantley. This kid dropped in 62 points last night in a single overtime game, which Lincoln won.

Walker can do it all, he's a great 3pt shooter, can drive, a great passer, and rebounds well for his size. It'll be interesting to see if BYU offers him...but this kid can play.

User avatar
craigoscarson
Pro
Posts: 3268
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:05 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The future of BYU bball, by position

Post by craigoscarson » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:10 pm

bball wrote:One of the guys BYU is looking at is a 5'11" guard named Dantley Walker from Lincoln County H.S. in Nevada. Dantley is an extremely skilled player, but maybe just a bit short for BYU to take. Utah State, however, seems to be more interested in Dantley. This kid dropped in 62 points last night in a single overtime game, which Lincoln won.

Walker can do it all, he's a great 3pt shooter, can drive, a great passer, and rebounds well for his size. It'll be interesting to see if BYU offers him...but this kid can play.
Sounds like a Wink Adams type that would be nice to have. The problem is we dont' have any more scholarships available for the class of 2011. I know a little about him, but I dont' recall if he's a senior or not.

Here's my one critique of Dave Rose's recruiting. He's too nice to the martineaus and zylstras of the world. They certainly work hard in practice, are good students BUT they dont' really bring enough to the hoops end to make it worth giving up a scholarship to a Jared Smoot, Viko Nomaeea, or even a JUCO 4-5 to help this team with depth.

If KC decides against a mission (I think he'll serve) then Coach Rose might have to have a heart to heart with Zylstra and tell him that his 2 year run of free college is over.

User avatar
CougarClaw
Pro
Posts: 3197
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:37 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The future of BYU bball, by position

Post by CougarClaw » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:51 am

even if it needs to happen, do you really see Rose yanking a scholarship simply because you aren't good enough? HARSH

User avatar
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5514
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:07 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The future of BYU bball, by position

Post by Brayden Green » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:29 pm

CougarClaw wrote:even if it needs to happen, do you really see Rose yanking a scholarship simply because you aren't good enough? HARSH
I hope so. I hope that he would do everything in his power to keep us in the top 10 discussion.
When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Image

beauso79
All-American
Posts: 1741
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:52 am
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The future of BYU bball, by position

Post by beauso79 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:22 pm

BlueIsBetter wrote:
CougarClaw wrote:even if it needs to happen, do you really see Rose yanking a scholarship simply because you aren't good enough? HARSH
I hope so. I hope that he would do everything in his power to keep us in the top 10 discussion.
I think if we could find a JUCO 4-5 impact player that Rose needs to make either Martineau or Zylstra pay their way. The problem is finding one that's not undersized that's willing to head to BYU. The Magunsson's of the world can only get yo so far. I wonder if there are any JUCO 4-5 prospects that Rose and staff are looking at to join the team next year??

User avatar
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Posts: 12643
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:11 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The future of BYU bball, by position

Post by SpiffCoug » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:39 pm

Probably not. You'll have Hartsock and Collinsworth at the 4. Davies and a combination of Harward, Anderson and Austin to man the 5. I'd be surprised if we brought in a JUCO 4-5.
BYU PER W/L Since 1988: 319-53 (.858 )
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Image

Post Reply