idahocougarfan
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Update on Lloyd and other players as well

Post by idahocougarfan »

http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/19/1000 ... State.html

Blog by Jim Rayburn.

"I haven't found anything official, but I've been told by reliable sources that former BYU guard Michael Loyd Jr. and his brother Kevin Loyd will play basketball this coming season for Midwestern State, a Division II school in Wichita Falls, Tex. The Mustangs finished the 2009-10 season with a 31-3 mark, the best in team history, and were ranked as high as No. 2 in the D-II Top 25. They lost in the NCAA Division II quarterfinals."

"A couple of other notes of interest on former Cougars: Center Chris Miles has signed to play professionally for Club Kolin in the Czech Republic. Guard Lamont Morgan Jr. opened some eyes of overseas scouts with a good showing at a camp last week in Las Vegas, and he might get a deal to play foreign ball as well. Forward Jonathan Tavernari is currently training with the Brazilian national team, and many believe he'll end up playing in Italy. You probably already know that Lee Cummard and Trent Plaisted both played in last week's NBA Las Vegas Summer League - Cummard for Sacramento and Plaisted for Chicago. Both, along with former teammate Keena Young, could be headed back overseas as well.

Speaking of Cummard, Plaisted and Young, all three have been hanging around Provo a lot this summer participating in pick up games with the current Cougars. Having those three in the regular mix seems to be paying dividends for the Cougars coming back this season. In accordance with NCAA rules, media members are not allowed to watch or attend these pickup games (in case a potential recruit gets invited to join the fun), but I ran into Brock Zylstra and Logan Magnusson today and they told me that they seem to be ahead of last summer's progress because of the addition of Plaisted, Cummard and Young. Also, the new guys - Anson Winder, Stephen Rogers, Chris Collinsworth, Kyle Collinsworth and Nick Martineau - are impressing their new teammates. And they're doing it was balancing summer school and rigorous weight training every day."

Italics
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Update on Lloyd and other players as well

Post by Italics »

it's official... both Loyd's to midwestern.

Nothing says "smart move" like moving from a school like BYU to the prestigious Midwestern State.

In related news: Jimmer Fredette to transfer to Northeastern Central Arkansas State Tech

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Italics wrote:Nothing says "smart move" like moving from a school like BYU to the prestigious Midwestern State.
Well, if he's going to transfer, that's really one of the best options. He's already redshirted, so if he transferred to Div-I he'd have to sit and burn his junior season. By transferring to Div-II, he can play both years, and maybe even one and then transfer to Div-I.

Then, as far as Div-II basketball teams go, Midwestern State is one of the elite teams that will compete for a championship the next couple of years.

So, if you're going to transfer in his situation, this is probably as good as move as you could make. Can't say I blame a guy who wasn't enjoying his college experience at BYU who knew that he was going to get far less playing time than what his talent deserves.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think he really wanted to stay. Is he still playing pickup games at the Y?

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

scott715 wrote:I think he really wanted to stay. Is he still playing pickup games at the Y?
Agree. He did want to stay, but he also wanted to keep doing things contrary to the environment he was in. One had to give.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

snoscythe wrote:
Italics wrote:Nothing says "smart move" like moving from a school like BYU to the prestigious Midwestern State.
Well, if he's going to transfer, that's really one of the best options. He's already redshirted, so if he transferred to Div-I he'd have to sit and burn his junior season. By transferring to Div-II, he can play both years, and maybe even one and then transfer to Div-I.

Then, as far as Div-II basketball teams go, Midwestern State is one of the elite teams that will compete for a championship the next couple of years.

So, if you're going to transfer in his situation, this is probably as good as move as you could make. Can't say I blame a guy who wasn't enjoying his college experience at BYU who knew that he was going to get far less playing time than what his talent deserves.

DII and NAIA players have to sit out a year if they transfer up to D1. Otherwise colleges would be cherrypicking the elite DII players every year (for depth and the occasional starter)..

JUCO is the only permissable "college" route to move up without penalty.

If MLJ had any professional aspirations, he'd just sit out this year without playing anywhere and have 2 left to play at a major program. I'm happy with this, it'll be easier not to hear about him in the Pac-10 etc. He's a great talent; albeit a knuckledhead that blew the best thing he had going for him.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

snoscythe wrote:

Loyd would have gotten good playing time... unless he didn't clean up his act.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care