Your 2010-2011 BYU Cougars

BYU Cougars on the court.
CougarPeasant
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Your 2010-2011 BYU Cougars

Post by CougarPeasant »

Now that the season is over, what will the starting lineup look like next season?

Assuming Fredette returns:

Fredette G
Emery G
Abouo F
Hartsock F
Davies F/C

With Loyd being the 6th man off the bench.

Others will include Anderson, Collinsworth x2, Morgan.

Or will one of the Collinsworth boys get the spot vacated by Haws?!!!

Will this lineup be better than last years? Haws, Miles, and JT will be missed, but the talent wating to move up is better than what is leaving.

What do others think?

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Your 2010-2011 BYU Cougars

Post by Cougs_Rule »

What will they look like? Hopefully 20-30 pounds more muscular at the 4 and 5 spot. :sulk:

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Davies will be bigger, he is really young to be playing D1. Morgan graduated so that is another loss. I would not be surprised to see someone from the end of the bench leave to free up a scholarship if needed. There has to be some kids thinking they want to get in on the action as a recruit.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

CougarPeasant wrote:Now that the season is over, what will the starting lineup look like next season?

Fredette G
Emery G
Abouo F
Hartsock F
Davies F/C

Will this lineup be better than last years? Haws, Miles, and JT will be missed, but the talent wating to move up is better than what is leaving.

What do others think?
I like it and I think it certainly has the potential to be better than this year's team. It will depend a bit, though, on what the offensive scheme is. If more priority is given to post play, which I think it should, then such a lineup would be quite potent, especially with an off season to bulk up a bit and improve play.

Davies has some good post up moves that I hope would get used more. Would be awesome if Noah added some more back-to-the-basket post up moves as well, and Abuou has the athleticism/skill to be a threat inside and outside.

On D, such a line up be pretty sweet as well. To neutralize quicker guards, Loyd can come in without us taking a hit on offense.

I think for such a lineup to really reach it's potential, though, some changes are going to be needed on how we run our offense. First, less Jimmer or at least more assists from him. Whether consciously or subconsciously I think we got a little too Jimmer centric towards the end of the season and a little too dependent on Jimmer dropping 30+ points on opponents. That's just not going to happen every game. What do you think about moving Jimmer to the 2 spot and Loyd running point with Emery coming in off the bench?

Second, more post play. Rather than running the ball through the post, the post becomes the destination, or at least more so than in the past. What I noticed in the last few games is it looked as though BYU would spread the floor a lot (probably to clear out the middle for Jimmer), but it left no one in the area to grab offensive boards. I noticed a lot of the times when a shot went up none of our post players were even in the area - they were all out at the perimeter. With more post play, our bigs will already be there to grab boards.

I am a bit worried about depth. If Colinsworth (older) gets he legs back quick enough (can't believe it's been two years already) and younger brother makes the transition to D1 ball remotely as well as Haws did then I think we should be in pretty good shape. But it would be great if Anderson developed some more so then Colinsworth or Noah wouldn't have to slide over to the 5 to give Davies a rest.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Anderson needs to produce next year or move on. He has had a couple of years to develop now. We need another post option or recruit someone to take that place. I hope he has a productive offseason.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

1- Not sure if you can start Abouo ahead of either Loyd or little Collinsworth.

2- Any chance Anderson, Zylstra, or Magnusson lose their schollies?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
cougarsunited
Freshman

Post by cougarsunited »

CougarPeasant wrote:Now that the season is over, what will the starting lineup look like next season?

Fredette G
Emery G
Abouo F
Hartsock F
Davies F/C

What do others think?

I love JT, his story is incredible, well beyond the basketball court, I hope he'll be able to play professional bal somewhere, it's his dream- but as far as missing his play... we'll have plenty of talent to fill the void. Haws will definitely be missed though, no question.

Here is what I am wondering: Do you all REALLY believe that Jimmer is coming back? I just don't see it happening....

BYUROCKS
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BYUROCKS »

I think we will go

Loyd G
Fredette G
Emery G
Hartsock F
Davies C/F

being able to switch out Noah and Davies for Abouo and Collin will be nice.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I would still love BYU to become a zone defensive team. We need to become different to prepare for. Our zone has been both very effective at times and not as effective, but I think that if we practiced it more, we could become more adept at it (i.e., closing out on shooter) that we currently are.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

cougarsunited wrote:

Fredette G
Emery G
Abouo F
Hartsock F
Davies F/C

What do others think?

I love JT, his story is incredible, well beyond the basketball court, I hope he'll be able to play professional bal somewhere, it's his dream- but as far as missing his play... we'll have plenty of talent to fill the void. Haws will definitely be missed though, no question.

Here is what I am wondering: Do you all REALLY believe that Jimmer is coming back? I just don't see it happening....
After he got shut down by Pullen, yes, I believe he's coming back. Pullen showed if you're quick enough (NBA guards are) all you have to do is pressure Jimmer, play him tight and Jimmer's dribble game is gone. Plus, if you look at how Jimmer fared against other "top" guards this season, most won the battle. Jimmer also showed scouts his passing game is lacking.

Jimmer has work left to do, but I can see why he'd want to leave now. With Loyd around I won't lose too much sleep if Jimmer decides to go.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel