craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Your 2010-2011 BYU Cougars

Post by craigoscarson »

kitic77 wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:
kitic77 wrote:I would love for Collinsworth to be able to red-shirt. An RS would have served Noah well and I hope we dont' make the same mistake with Chris.
I agree but that only makes sense if we bring in a juco big
Yeah, I'm not sure we'll have the luxury of being able to RS him.
And he probably wants to play with little bro (unless KC decides against a mission)

CougarPeasant
All-American

Post by CougarPeasant »

The nice thing about basketball is that teams don't have to go undefeated to get to the tournament. That gives BYU the luxury of easing Chris back into playing form come conference time and especially come tournament times.

That gives him 9 months to get his game legs back in time to seriously contribute in a meaningful way.

Of course, a redshirt year makes sense too.

Back to my original post, I still see the starters being Fredette, Emery, Abouo, Hartsock, and Davies for next season. Loyd will be the first one off the bench and perhaps Collinsworth the younger can work into the rotation as well. Can Anderson develop into a servicable 12-15 min a game back up?

I see Fredette, Emery, and Hartsock playing 30-35 mins most games with Abouo, Davies and Loyd playing 25-30 mins each as well. What Anderson and the Collinsworth boys add will round out the team.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

kitic77 wrote:I would love for Collinsworth to be able to red-shirt. An RS would have served Noah well and I hope we dont' make the same mistake with Chris.
It takes less time to get in basketball shape than football shape. Not as much weightlifting, less contact, and you can be in great physical condition for hoops in 6-8 weeks. I expect him back and ready to play. We will need his height, rebounding and interior presence next year. If we had any scoring threat in the post this year, we would have made and Elite 8 run, like Cornell, UNI and Butler. They all shot it like us, but had much better interior scorers. With any post play, we can be like them next year.

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

Lawboy wrote:
It takes less time to get in basketball shape than football shape. Not as much weightlifting, less contact, and you can be in great physical condition for hoops in 6-8 weeks. I expect him back and ready to play. We will need his height, rebounding and interior presence next year. If we had any scoring threat in the post this year, we would have made and Elite 8 run, like Cornell, UNI and Butler. They all shot it like us, but had much better interior scorers. With any post play, we can be like them next year.

I thought the bigger difference for Butler and UNI was they were much stronger physically as a teams. Butler's has very strong guards and their post players could hold onto the ball once they had it. Hopefully Hartsock and Davies come back stronger. At the 3 between Abouo and Kyle Collinsworth we should be stronger. We have a lot of question marks off the bench for our bigs.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
kfilly20
Freshman

Post by kfilly20 »

If we can somehow get a big that can even remotely function in the post next year, we will be a special team. That would open it up so much for our shooters.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I don't get why a good big does not want to join this team. He would get single coverage in the post. Opportunities to run if that is his game. Playing time and a tournament run to boot. The down side to him could be the HC or party scene. Maybe Rose should look more at Christian schools like Bronco is doing.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

kfilly20 wrote:If we can somehow get a big that can even remotely function in the post next year, we will be a special team. That would open it up so much for our shooters.
We do have a big that can remotely function in the post. Question is whether Rose will use him. We also have a good power forward in Noah Hartsock. Question again is whether Rose will use him to his full potential.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

With Rodgers in the mix

Depth chart in my eyes

Fredette/Loyd/Martineau/(Winder)
Emery/(Loyd)/(Abouo)/Winder
Abouo/K. Collinsworth/Rodgers/Zylstra
Hartsock/C. Collinsworth/Magnusson
Davies/C. Collinsworth/Anderson

There are going to be some intense battles for playing time.

Minutewise I expect to see something like this:

Fredette(30)/Loyd(10)
Emery(30)/Loyd(10)
Abouo(20)/Rodgers(10)/K.Collinsworth(10)
Hartsock(25)/C.Collinsworth(10)/Rodgers(5)
Davies(25)/Hartsock(5)/C.Collinsworth(10)

I see the guard rotation set in stone barring injury. Fredette and Emery deserve big minutes. Loyd deserves all the rest of them.

We don't really have a lot of depth at the 5. Basically it is Davies. Hartsock can play there at times and I don't know what we will see from Chris Collinsworth. Anderson at least can provide a little size. An injury to Hartsock or Davies would kill us.

But the forward positions seem to be the most in flux. I am pretty sure Hartsock will start. But I have no idea if Abouo, Rodgers or K. Collinsworth will start. Or we might go to a 3 guard setup again.

Anderson will be need for foul trouble an against bigger teams. Magnusson might be able to steal some minutes. I also don't know how much K. Collinsworth will play either. Rodgers is a big wild card too.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
idahocougarfan
Recruit

Post by idahocougarfan »

This is on Greg Wrubell's blog about the team next year. It will be interesting to see in terms of playing minutes.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=10483176

With the news of juco standout Stephen Rogers' verbal commitment to BYU, that makes another recruiting battle won by Dave Rose. I can't recall Rose missing out on a player he really wanted, and certainly not to an instate competitor.

--

Regardless of Rogers' playing time situation next season, BYU's practices are going to be intense, with at least ten top-line players vying for minutes every day.

A quick look-ahead at BYU next season, position by position:

Guards/Wings:

Jimmer Fredette

Jackson Emery

Mike Loyd

Charles Abouo

Kyle Collinsworth

Anson Winder

Brock Zylstra

Nick Martineau

-

Forwards/Posts:

Noah Hartsock

Brandon Davies

Chris Collinsworth

Stephen Rogers (can also be used as a guard/wing)

Logan Magnusson

James Anderson

--

That's a pretty stacked roster, and it's also 14 players for 13 scholarships. Clearly, there are ten "untouchables," with scholarships ostensibly available to only three of the following four players: Martineau, Anderson, Magnusson and Zylstra. Martineau was a walk-on prior to his mission, and my understanding was he would be on scholarship upon his return. Zylstra came to BYU as a walk-on as a true freshman, but was awarded a scholarship after returning from his mission.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Looking ahead another year, we lose Jimmer and Magnussum to graduation and Kyle C to a mission. Who is coming back from a mission? There are a couple of centers right? Anyone else? One scholarship to offer?