BYU Cougars on the court.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Utah basketball swept up in FBI probe

Post by Fido »

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-fede ... 38484.html

Former Utah star Kyle Kuzma received at least $9,500 while in school, according to the documents.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Utah basketball swept up in FBI probe

Post by ABYUFAN »

$9,500? I'd rather have a Jetta - but to each his own

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

ABYUFAN wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:49 am $9,500? I'd rather have a Jetta - but to each his own
:lol: :lol: :lol:

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Fido wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:36 am https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-fede ... 38484.html

Former Utah star Kyle Kuzma received at least $9,500 while in school, according to the documents.
I don't know what was going on, but as I clicked on that link above and started to read the article, suddenly I got some weird message and the computer wouldn't let me X out of the tab. I quickly shut down my computer and rebooted. I don't know if there was any correlation, but other than worksheets and an online accounting system we use, I had nothing else open.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

EM_Puma wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:03 pm
Fido wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:36 am https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-fede ... 38484.html

I don't know what was going on, but as I clicked on that link above and started to read the article, suddenly I got some weird message and the computer wouldn't let me X out of the tab. I quickly shut down my computer and rebooted. I don't know if there was any correlation, but other than worksheets and an online accounting system we use, I had nothing else open.
I read the article with no problem.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

I get to that story without problem.

Anyhow, a summary is this:
Documents and bank records obtained in discovery during the federal investigation into the underbelly of college basketball detail in meticulous fashion the expenditures of prominent former NBA agent Andy Miller, his former associate Christian Dawkins and his agency, ASM Sports. They include expense reports and balance sheets that list cash advances, as well as entertainment and travel expenses for high school and college prospects and their families.
An ASM balance sheet in the hands of federal investigators shows accounts through Dec. 31, 2015, with the subheading, “Loan to Players.” It listed several who were in high school or college as receiving four-figure and five-figure payments from ASM Sports. Among the largest listed loans:
- Dennis Smith, North Carolina State
- Isaiah Whitehead, Seton Hall
- Tim Quarterman, LSU
- Diamond Stone, Maryland
- Bam Adebayo, Kentucky
- Markelle Fultz, Washington
In addition, Dawkins filed expense reports seeking reimbursement for thousands of dollars that he reported as being paid to college and high school players and their families. Several players, families of players or handlers received more than $1,000 in payments from ASM Sports before turning professional:
- Bennie Boatwright, USC and/or his father, Bennie Sr.
- Chimezie Metu, USC and/or adviser, Johnnie Parker.
- Eric Davis, Texas
- Brian Bowen, South Carolina/Louisville and his father, Brian Sr.
- Kyle Kuzma, Utah received at least $9,500 while in school, according to the documents.
- P.J. Dozier, South Carolina
- Edmond Sumner, Xavier and/or his father, Ernest
- Fred VanVleet, Wichita State
- Jaron Blossomgame, Clemson
- Apples Jones, the mother of former Kansas player Josh Jackson

Among those receiving hundreds of dollars in advances, according to Dawkins’ expense reports:
The mother of current Michigan State player Miles Bridges.

Among the players and/or families who are listed as meeting with or having meals with Dawkins:
Current Alabama player Collin Sexton.
Current Duke player Wendell Carter.
Current Kentucky player Kevin Knox.
Former North Carolina player Tony Bradley.
Former Creighton player Justin Patton.
Former Texas player Prince Ibeh.
Former Notre Dame player Demetrius Jackson.
Former Vanderbilt player Wade Baldwin.
Former Virginia player Malcolm Brogdon.
Former Iowa State player Monte Morris.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

So it is fair to say that this was agents and sports agencies giving money and/or benefits to players and their families--not necessarily that the schools were involved or had knowledge.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Fido wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:45 pm So it is fair to say that this was agents and sports agencies giving money and/or benefits to players and their families--not necessarily that the schools were involved or had knowledge.
I don't see how the schools could possibly either know about this or police it

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

It was interesting that Coach Krystkowiak said in KSL article:

"When the FBI investigation was first announced on Sept. 26, 2017, Krystkowiak told media a handler for Kuzma asked the school for money to sign the Flint, Michigan, native. Krystkowiak said the university refused the payment, but that he was aware of underground efforts to sway recruits."

So did he contact the NCAA about being approached by "a media handler" concerning Kuzma? Seems amazing that Kuzma still came to Utah regardless if he wasn't offered any money from "anyone" connected to the University or a booster. Something doesn't smell right about that explanation.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

EM_Puma wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:41 pm It was interesting that Coach Krystkowiak said in KSL article:

"When the FBI investigation was first announced on Sept. 26, 2017, Krystkowiak told media a handler for Kuzma asked the school for money to sign the Flint, Michigan, native. Krystkowiak said the university refused the payment, but that he was aware of underground efforts to sway recruits."

So did he contact the NCAA about being approached by "a media handler" concerning Kuzma? Seems amazing that Kuzma still came to Utah regardless if he wasn't offered any money from "anyone" connected to the University or a booster. Something doesn't smell right about that explanation.
He also cancelled the trip to Provo for "safety" reasons. :roll: