WCC weakness

BYU Cougars on the court.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

WCC weakness

Post by Mars »

BYU isn't close to being in the Top 2 of the WCC, and hasn't truly been a threat since joining the conference.

I've seen some people wonder why St. Mary's isn't ranked higher than Gonzaga. For reference, here's why:

Gonzaga's Top 50 OOC KenPom wins:
#11 Ohio State
#23 Creighton
#43 Texas

St. Mary's Top 50 OOC wins: None.

This is why Utah is also more likely to make the Big Dance than BYU is (except they have some big in-conference wins). BYU had 0 OOC, and 0 in conference as well.

For whatever it's worth, San Francisco did beat #18 Nevada, and San Diego beat #47 New Mexico State.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: WCC weakness

Post by ABYUFAN »

Mars wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:18 pm This is why Utah is also more likely to make the Big Dance than BYU is (except they have some big in-conference wins). BYU had 0 OOC, and 0 in conference as well.
Reasonable minds can differ so it's OK that I don't agree with the above statement...but BYU is way closer to winning the WCC tournament than Utah is to wining the PAC 12 - which is the only way either team can reasonably expect to make the NCAA field this year.

I also disagree with your thought that BYU hasn't "truly been a threat" since joing the WCC. BYU has a three game winning streak in Spokane. BYU's been a threat, but only that, just a threat.

That said, SMC did themselves a big big disservice this year with their poor scheduling. This is the year that they should have upped their game. Next year, their annual practice of a cupcake heavy November and December may help their new starters get their feet under them, but this year they're a legit good team, they should have had the chance to better show that earlier.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

SMC is good, no question, but I honestly think had they played a bunch of top 50 teams they would have dropped a couple. They are good. I don't think they are top 15 good. Maybe top 25. They are benefiting from a winning streak, not necessarily who they have beaten, although GU at Spokane is a legit win.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

SMC has struggled to get a good OOC schedule for many years now. They need to move up in that regards if they can sustain this level of play.

I will say it is a better feeling this season to be in the WCC with 2 teams past mid-season in the top 20. The MWC only has 1 team getting any votes (Nevada) and they lost to the current 7th place WCC team (SF).

imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

The good news is that the Pac-12, Big 10, and MWC are looking at much fewer bids than in the past. That might get BYU into it if they can split with GU, win all the rest of the games and beat GU in the semi's of the tourny (and then lose to SMC in the champ-because if they win they are auto bid).

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

imuakahuku wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:50 pm The good news is that the Pac-12, Big 10, and MWC are looking at much fewer bids than in the past. That might get BYU into it if they can split with GU, win all the rest of the games and beat GU in the semi's of the tourny (and then lose to SMC in the champ-because if they win they are auto bid).
How many bids do you think the WCC can possibly get? I think 2 is the Maximum this year.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

hawkwing wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:01 pm
imuakahuku wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:50 pm The good news is that the Pac-12, Big 10, and MWC are looking at much fewer bids than in the past. That might get BYU into it if they can split with GU, win all the rest of the games and beat GU in the semi's of the tourny (and then lose to SMC in the champ-because if they win they are auto bid).
How many bids do you think the WCC can possibly get? I think 2 is the Maximum this year.
I'd say 1-3 is conceivable, but 2 is very likely.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

WCC gets at least two. If BYU goes on a streak and loses in the finals there's a chance we get in.

If BYU miraculously wins the WCC tourney, I don't see the committee snubbing GU and SMC.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

Gunk wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:07 am WCC gets at least two. If BYU goes on a streak and loses in the finals there's a chance we get in.

If BYU miraculously wins the WCC tourney, I don't see the committee snubbing GU and SMC.
Good point Gunk.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

https://cougarsportswire.com/2018/03/20 ... ason-play/

Conference is 8-1 so far in the post season.