BYU - Pacific

BYU Cougars on the court.
BOID
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU - Pacific

Post by BOID »

vancouvercougar wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:17 pm Getting the Pacific big men get 4 fouls each opened the game up for BYU. I don't know if the flagrant 2 on pacific was really a flagrant 2 but it was definitely a foul. TJ was hurting.
I think the flagrant 2, and ejection were deserved. If it was an inadvertent move by Gallinat, he could have let his arm go limp and tried to wriggle it back from TJ’s crotch. But no, this guy stiffens his arm and drives TJ back, keeping him from getting his feet under him, carrying him with that arm. It was outrageous, and ejection was the proper judgement on it.

It’s also interesting that this was the same guy that sub’d in illegally to shoot the free-throw for another Pacific player who has a poor free-throw completion record. It was late in the 2nd, with a 6 point deficit for them, and the free-throws were critical. Guess who has the best FT percentage for the Tigers? Gallinat was nowhere near the spot of the foul that was called. The officials didn’t notice that the wrong dude was at the FT line, until Gallinat had swished the first of a one and one, and Dave Rose had called for a technical foul for the dishonesty of it. Although the FT point was erased, and the correct player was allowed to miss the front end of the one and one, they completely let Gallinat off for that bit of cheating, and just perhaps were therefore less lenient when it later came to the flagrant (and dangerous) foul that he did to Haws.

Sorry to belabor much, but I thought these were some of the most amusing/interesting moments of the game.
Last edited by BOID on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

Spelling correction: The player’s name is Gallinat. I had initially remembered him incorrectly as Galatan, so made corrections.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

BOID wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:36 am Spelling correction: The player’s name is Gallinat. I had initially remembered him incorrectly as Galatan, so made corrections.
Gallinataan robbers, right?

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Pacific wants to win. They clearly played hard and fought. I think the culture could be spilling over to win-at-all costs with Gallinat and Tripp.

Tripp was fouled but he never made any movement towards the foul line. When was the last time you saw a player get fouled in a bonus situation and not go to the line.

Pacific had a mini huddle before the free throws, and for whatever reason Gallinat is the one that waltzes over to the line as if he was the one that got fouled. Looks fishy.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Gunk wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:20 pm Pacific wants to win. They clearly played hard and fought. I think the culture could be spilling over to win-at-all costs with Gallinat and Tripp.

Tripp was fouled but he never made any movement towards the foul line. When was the last time you saw a player get fouled in a bonus situation and not go to the line.

Pacific had a mini huddle before the free throws, and for whatever reason Gallinat is the one that waltzes over to the line as if he was the one that got fouled. Looks fishy.
That was the first time I ever remember seeing a player who wasn't fouled or even close to the foul walk over and actually take the free throw, and then have the refs stop it and take the point off the board, then re-shoot the free throw with the correct player. Coach Rose was shouting that there should have been a technical foul called on them for that, but I've never seen that done before either. Really weird.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

Pacific probably gets away with the free throw switcheroo if the game is at Pacific, or anywhere else in the WCC other than Provo or Spokane.