SMC today

BYU Cougars on the court.
McY
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: SMC today

Post by McY »

snoscythe wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:12 am The last four minutes of last night's game played out just like the overtime and Provo did a month ago. BYU was in the game, but suddenly on offense became obsessed with the idea of fouling Landell out, but when they didn't get the calls they panicked and started heaving hero threes. Then on defense, the double team rotation slowed down and they got a lot of open threes at the end.
This was my thought, too. We played them pretty close much of the game until the last stretch and similar to our OT loss, fell apart and lost the game. Still, if we have to face them again in the Tournament, I’d still feel like we have a solid shot of coming away with a W.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BYU is NOT the dumpster fire I thought we would be without Mika. We just aren't good enough to make the Big Dance.

What are some reasonable goals/expectations to end the season?

I say:
1- Beat Gonzaga at least once.
2- Win at least 1 game in the WCC Tournament.
3- Win at least 1 NIT game.
4- Don't lose at home to anyone not named Gonzaga.
5- Don't lose on the road more than once to anyone not named Gonzaga.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

We lost this game on offense. The defense was there. We routinely forced SMC to rush shots as the shot clock winded down. I think we forced 2 - 3 shot clock violations.

There were two stretches in the game where got multiple stops in a row and we never capitalized. Getting stops does you little good if you don't score. We could have one.

Young team. We'll learn.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

It was lost on defense too.

SMC made 5 of 9 threes in the 2nd half. We had held them in check in the 1st half when they went 4 of 12.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

BroncoBot wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:48 am
frdbtr wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:11 am Positives. Childs is a sophomore, Landale is a SR and IMO they are really close. Childs was sick all day and still played him pretty well. BYU has no SR's on this team and it appears they keep improving. I expect if this team is allowed to gel for another couple of years, we might get the WCC championship we have been wanting. It doesn't look like there is going to be major attrition over the next couple of years.
I personally thought that Landale lit Yeoli up all night. Maybe part of that was Childs being sick all day, probably more that Landale is just a beast and a matchup nightmare for BYU.

I though Nixon actually played the best defense on Landale.
I wasn't referring to Childs shutting Landale down. I was watching the skill of the 2 players and overall it looks pretty close. Landale is a great player, he doesn't really get shut down.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

frdbtr wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:57 pm
BroncoBot wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:48 am
frdbtr wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:11 am Positives. Childs is a sophomore, Landale is a SR and IMO they are really close. Childs was sick all day and still played him pretty well. BYU has no SR's on this team and it appears they keep improving. I expect if this team is allowed to gel for another couple of years, we might get the WCC championship we have been wanting. It doesn't look like there is going to be major attrition over the next couple of years.

I personally thought that Landale lit Yeoli up all night. Maybe part of that was Childs being sick all day, probably more that Landale is just a beast and a matchup nightmare for BYU.

I though Nixon actually played the best defense on Landale.
I wasn't referring to Childs shutting Landale down. I was watching the skill of the 2 players and overall it looks pretty close. Landale is a great player, he doesn't really get shut down.
Got it. As you said, landale is a tough assignment.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

I just checked and SMC is #16 in the AP and #18 in the coaches poll. In both polls Gonzaga is #15 in spite of 2 more loses. We'll learn a lot when they play each other. Until they do I believe SMC is the better team. I think they should be in the top 10. Landale is one of the nations leaders in double doubles and Naar was second in assists last I checked. The rest of the team is not taking naps.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

SMC beat GU at the Kennel already this year. They are the best team in the WCC.