Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs SMC

Post by ABYUFAN »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:06 pm
frdbtr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:41 pm
ABYUFAN wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:19 am
frdbtr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:34 am
BroncoBot wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:41 pm
Brayden Green wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:31 pm I'm happy. They had a shot to win at the buzzer. They played like a bunch of freshmen and sophomores in overtime, which makes sense. We own this series going forward. I can't wait until we get back to the time where we have Juniors and Seniors out on the court on a regular basis :)

Good effort, great defense for the most part. They just tightened up towards the end and in OT, and St. Mary's hit some BIG shots.
I'd be happy if smc was your typically ranked team. They aren't this year. BYU should have won that game.
I agree with this. BYU should go through the WCC undefeated at home practically every year and yet we have dropped more games at home to WCC foe's than we ever did in the MWC. This is a disapointing loss.
I'm gonna be lazy and not look it up but I'm quite certain that this isn't true. One of the years that Rose won the MWC his team was 10-6 in league play.
BYU's record in the MWC was as follows:

05-06 12-4 T 2nd
06-07 13-3 1st
07-08 14-2 1st
08-09 12-4 T 1st
09-10 13-3 2nd
10-11 14-2 T 1st

I can't find the home losses but I would find it hard pressed to find many in those stats.
I found them:

05-06 -- one home loss. It was a non-conf loss to WCC's LMU to open the season.
06-07 -- undefeated at home.
07-08 -- undefeated at home (did lose to Mich St @ the Delta Center)
08-09 -- two home losses. A non-conf loss to #6 WF to break a 53 game home-winning streak, then lost a conference game to UNLV two and a half weeks later.
09-10 -- one home loss. MWC loss to #10 UNM.
10-11 -- one home loss. MWC loss to UNM -- first game after the Davies suspension.

So, over the course of 6 seasons, we lost only 2 non-conference games at home (one to #6 ranked team), and only 3 conference losses at home (one to a #10 ranked team).
I stand corrected

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:01 am OT was a failure because of a stupid strategy.

The plan seemed to be "let's get Landale to foul out"......and nothing else.

Every play was to set up iso on Landale, huck the ball at the rim, and then turn and look at the refs instead of even contemplating trivial things like rebounds. BYU didn't get a single offensive rebound in OT because (1) we were playing Seljaas instead of Dastrup/Worthington, (2) the other four players were at the three point line to get the iso on Landale, and (3) Yeoli and Bryant were holding hands out to referees after misses begging for calls instead of following their shots for rebounds or putbacks.

After the first no-call, Rose should have put a plan B into action, but that never happened, and guys begging with refs for calls on the way down to the defensive end of the court instead of finding their guy or getting into position put stress on the rest of the defense and gave SMU wide open threes in the confusion.

Something to learn from, but not worth the price of the lesson.
I find this interesting. I assume the idea of this appeal to the refs is to get them, through guilt, to call it your way next time. I suppose there is a remote possibility that it could work, however going after rebounds is much more sound and far more effective

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

We used to own our home court. Teams used to fear coming to Provo. Now...not so much.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Gunk wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:16 pm We used to own our home court. Teams used to fear coming to Provo. Now...not so much.
This is what I was referring to. Not sure what changed but BYU hasn't been as dominant at home the last 5 years or so. This needs to change.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

frdbtr wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:38 pm
Gunk wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:16 pm We used to own our home court. Teams used to fear coming to Provo. Now...not so much.
This is what I was referring to. Not sure what changed but BYU hasn't been as dominant at home the last 5 years or so. This needs to change.
The crowd noise is noticeably reduced from pre-renovaton levels.

Part of that is smaller crowds, but I think the padded seats dampen the noise as well.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

You also have the student section at one of the court instead of along an entire side of the court. Opposing teams basically get a reprieve from the student section every other trip down the court.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Gunk wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:52 pm You also have the student section at one of the court instead of along an entire side of the court. Opposing teams basically get a reprieve from the student section every other trip down the court.
I still think this was a mistake.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

BroncoBot wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:38 am
Gunk wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:52 pm You also have the student section at one of the court instead of along an entire side of the court. Opposing teams basically get a reprieve from the student section every other trip down the court.
Same. In more ways than one. The atmosphere really changed.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Gunk wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:02 pm
I was shocked to hear from my brothers that attended the utah game that the MC had empty seats. Never would have happened during my time at BYU.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BroncoBot wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:03 am
Gunk wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:02 pm
I was shocked to hear from my brothers that attended the utah game that the MC had empty seats. Never would have happened during my time at BYU.
Upper level bench seat were full. Lower bowl padded/backed seats were 20%+ empty.