Kajon Brown transferring

Post by hawkwing »

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Kajon Brown transferring

Post by hawkwing »

Lee will be taking his appt, but is not expected to participate in any games this season.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

My first thought, I hope his grades are in order. I don't want to take the hit.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

I guess on BYUSN Coach LaComb said the plan for Lee this year is to have him practice but not play. I guess they can get a redshirt for him and have four complete years of play from him that way instead of 3 1/2 years. I suppose if he thought for a while he was getting ready for a mission he probably needs the time to get up to speed with the schemes and into top playing shape.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

With the FB coaching announcement, little being said about this. I don't know what I think yet because I don't feel we've heard much of this situation. Just seems like very unusual timing for Brown to leave the team and us to add another player.

I want someone with more BB savvy to tell me what is good and bad about what just happened.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

EM_Puma wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:51 pm With the FB coaching announcement, little being said about this. I don't know what I think yet because I don't feel we've heard much of this situation. Just seems like very unusual timing for Brown to leave the team and us to add another player.

I want someone with more BB savvy to tell me what is good and bad about what just happened.
We don't know much, but from Brown's tweet we know he said he was transferring because of family and personal reasons. He was also positive toward BYU in his tweet. My guess is I don't think it was just a playing time thing. He's a young AA player from the other side of the country who was maybe having a tough time adjusting to to Provo and/or was missing his family and friends. In between semesters to announce the transfer is a good move on his part because he can play next season exactly a year from now.

With Lee it looks like he was originally planning on going on a mission but is not going to now. So Brown's transfer opens up a scholarship for him so he can enroll in school and officially join the team. But it sounds like he'll just take a redshirt this year and have 4 full years to play. Lee is a 6-9 F/C, 4 star recruit on ESPN from the class of 2017. I don't know much about him, but his credentials look promising, and if he practices and gets ready to play this year and over the summer, maybe he could be a solid contributor next year.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Hopefully things turn out for Kajon on the other side of his transfer. I think the advent of McKay Cannon being added from the practice squad, and doing well in a backup role really pushed Kajon's bench minutes to almost 0.

So, this is probably win - win for he and BYU. Not every relationship works out. Getting Lee on campus and on the roster is great. He was a big get for us when he signed, and he'll now have the next year to get into BBall shape.

He is a big man with a big frame, very soft hands, posts up well. Can hit the 3, decent at blocking the runner down the lane. Could be very good for us in 2-3 years. He's a good 5 fouls for us in a pinch as a minutes eater right away, but the hope is that he sits out for a year.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: