byu vs utah

BYU Cougars on the court.
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: byu vs utah

Post by nuk13 »

I just watched the highlights on YouTube. I think the last play of Haws to Worthington to Seljaas to Worthington epitomizes the team play this year. I also liked Bryant's block showing he is there to play basketball not just score points. I thought the team was going down hill after losing Mika but the opposite is, at this point, true. I don't know if it's Rose, an assistant, all coaches, or just the guys getting together but this team plays unselfish team ball. That is more important than any star player.

After barely getting the win against Weber State to beat Utah like this is the win of the year thus far for me.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

We've beaten every Utah team.

Anyone saying the verdict is still out on whether this team is better than last year's team needs to recheck that thought.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

BroncoBot wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:35 am
Brayden Green wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:24 am
Jarhead wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:59 am This is such an important win! We needed to restore some sort of balance to the rivalry. Any chance we beat Utah in the overall sports competition this year?
... but I don't think it is as dire as everyone was projecting. BYU could lose another two or three and not match Yewtahs 7 game losing streak to us.
Would you really have been OK to see even one more loss to the utes? There basketball team has not been good and they've been spanking us the last 3 losses.
I didn't say I'd be okay with it, just that everyone was overreacting to "Ute Dominance" in BBall. There was a lot of spillover from the football threads (which is what everyone watches and pays attention to).

I watch every basketball game, and I didn't feel a "dominance" re the last 3 years. We owned them for an entire decade, and they started to pull out of it at the same time that we were playing a bunch of freshmen. There were going to be some growing pains. There still are. But much less now. Our losing streak sits at 3 in the last decade, not 7 (which is what BYU FB owns, and also Ute BBall).

Byu BBall is doing well, and they are going to get better each and every year. I see 80k getting fired in the next 5 years.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Back to the thread, this team is a good team. They make skip passes the majority of the time. Don't break down when given the press, and won the game without Yoeli being much of a contributor the second half. They took Utah out of the game early defensively, and didn't stop the whole night (save for a couple lapsed defensive posessions).

This team can, and will, play with St. Marys and Gonzaga. We may not win them, but we will play with them.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Brayden Green wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:14 am Byu BBall is doing well, and they are going to get better each and every year. I see 80k getting fired in the next 5 years.
I doubt he gets fired anytime soon, unless the program really tanks. I really don't like or respect that guy, but he seems to get a lot out of his players, seems to be a pretty good coach and he is actually very popular amongst Ute boosters.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

Brayden Green wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:14 am
BroncoBot wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:35 am
Brayden Green wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:24 am
Jarhead wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:59 am This is such an important win! We needed to restore some sort of balance to the rivalry. Any chance we beat Utah in the overall sports competition this year?
... but I don't think it is as dire as everyone was projecting. BYU could lose another two or three and not match Yewtahs 7 game losing streak to us.
Would you really have been OK to see even one more loss to the utes? There basketball team has not been good and they've been spanking us the last 3 losses.
I didn't say I'd be okay with it, just that everyone was overreacting to "Ute Dominance" in BBall. There was a lot of spillover from the football threads (which is what everyone watches and pays attention to).

I watch every basketball game, and I didn't feel a "dominance" re the last 3 years. We owned them for an entire decade, and they started to pull out of it at the same time that we were playing a bunch of freshmen. There were going to be some growing pains. There still are. But much less now. Our losing streak sits at 3 in the last decade, not 7 (which is what BYU FB owns, and also Ute BBall).

Byu BBall is doing well, and they are going to get better each and every year. I see 80k getting fired in the next 5 years.
Utah hasn't dominated BYU on the football field for the last 7 games either, but they all resulted in losses which is the only stat that matters when the series starts to get lopsided. 7 in a row in football and 4 in a row in basketball would have continued the death spiral of perception and definetly have had an impact. No wins against Utah in the major sports since 2012 sounds pretty terrible to me.

Now that we won we can rightfully claim stats like dominating them 12-4 in the last ten years. But trying to pull out an 11-5 in the last ten years stat after you've dropped your 4th one in a row to your rival starts to sound pretty hollow.

There are some on the board which called losing 5 in a row in football to Utah a fireable offense on its own. I don't subscribe to that, but it starts to look really bad. In the case of the bball team, they had not reached crises mode against Utah yet, but if we had lost last night, we would have been pretty close to there. That's what makes this a really big win. Crises averted and nice payback to 80k.
Last edited by Jarhead on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Gunk wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:07 am We've beaten every Utah team.

Anyone saying the verdict is still out on whether this team is better than last year's team needs to recheck that thought.
Except SUU. ;)

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Doesn't dixie have a team?

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Ha! Touche, fellas.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BroncoBot wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:29 pm Doesn't dixie have a team?
Lower level, I think.

Kinda like Orem high school. :lol:

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars