Gonzaga vs ND (north dakota)

BYU Cougars on the court.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Gonzaga vs ND (north dakota)

Post by BroncoBot »

Gonzaga is beatable. ND had them on the ropes and fell apart. I'll be disappointed if BYU doesn't at least split the series this season.

BroncoBot
Retired

Re: Gonzaga vs ND (north dakota)

Post by BroncoBot »

And San diego state is taking it to #12 Gonzaga.
I'm tellin' ya. Gonzaga isn't a #12 team, or they haven't got it figured out yet. They just seem much more beatable this year.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Just saw the final score. Zags lose by 2.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

BYU is playing good enough defense this year to be competitive with anyone in the conference including Gonzaga and St Mary's.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Sweeping both Gonzaga and SMC this year is a possibility.

Gonzaga has a turnover problem. In the last 5 games they've averaged around 16 turnovers a game. That's not good. Unfortunately, we play them towards the end of the season, so their ball security issues will likely be resolved. So far on the season, the Zags have 183 turnovers (14/game). We're at 151 (13/game). Overall, we're doing a better job of securing the ball than Gonzaga. That bodes well.

Looking a little deeper, Gonzaga's ball security problems are primarily with PG Josh Perkins. He has 39 TOs on the season. Gonzaga forward, Jonathan Williams is at 37 TOs. Combined, Perkins and Williams account for 40% of Gonzaga's TOs. If I am Rose, I pressure those two to no end. Hardnett will give Perkins fits.

Gonzaga is giving up more points than we are (say what!?). That also bodes well for us.

SMC is almost dead even with us statistically, to the point where we've even attempted the same exact number of three-pointers (SMC has made 5 more than us). They don't cough the ball up. They're at only 103 TOs on the season. They don't steal the ball much either, though, just overall ball security and defense. I worry more about SMC than Gonzaga. SMC seems much more steady of a team than Gonzaga whereas Gonzaga is susceptible to mood swings.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

What crappy team sweeps us every year (or at least beats us in Provo)? Pepperdine?

I'm worried about going 2-0 against San Diego as well. Not nearly as bad as the WCC bottom this year.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Mars wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:30 am What crappy team sweeps us every year (or at least beats us in Provo)? Pepperdine?

I'm worried about going 2-0 against San Diego as well. Not nearly as bad as the WCC bottom this year.
This team doesn't look like the ones that drop head scratcher games.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:30 am What crappy team sweeps us every year (or at least beats us in Provo)? Pepperdine?

pepperdine is correct.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

I don't mean to offend but I would prefer the term "less powerful". Of course we need to take care of business against all the teams. Our team has let some of these less powerful teams put us in a difficult position when it comes to the post season. Put another way, we need to be more consistent in our conference play. This team has given me hope that they will be more consistent than past teams. Perhaps we'll learn some things this week end.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

nuk13 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:52 pm I don't mean to offend but I would prefer the term "less powerful". Of course we need to take care of business against all the teams.
I for one, am offended.