Nick Emery Blogs About His Withdrawing from BYU

BYU Cougars on the court.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Nick Emery Blogs About His Withdrawing from BYU

Post by Gunk »

SpiffCoug wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:25 pm Gunk, when did you serve. I served in the mid-90s when going to college for a year was the norm. Many missionaries were close to 20 by the they finished a year of college, got their call that summer and entered the MTC and made it to the field.
I served '97 to '99.

A lot of guys I went in with had a year of college under their belts. Most were 18 their freshman year.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

BoiseBYU wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:16 pm
Gunk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:20 pm Well, consider yourself lucky because some shape or form of the above conversation happened at least a half dozen different times to me on my mission. Got tiring. I had a couple of companions that just wouldn't let it go.

I can only imagine the false accusations people are jumping to Emery's case.
It is too bad it happened to you. It doesn’t mean that Mormons are judgmental in general or that is how they will and do react in such circumstances. THAT conclusion strikes me as judgmental.
People are judgemental, whether they are Mormon or not. It's human nature to observe and draw conclusions. Some cultures are more judgemental than others over certain things.

I'm not losing any sleep over my experience. No grudges on my end. It was just something that happened, so I can relate to Emery's experience.

This was just my experience. I've witnessed numerous instances of judgey members.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

I had 3 different companions who had shot a gun at somebody (gang drivebys, etc).

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

I haven't seen too much of the going out late judgement, but come home early then all sorts of judgement breaks out.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

Gunk wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:27 am
Gunk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:20 pm Well, consider yourself lucky because some shape or form of the above conversation happened at least a half dozen different times to me on my mission. Got tiring. I had a couple of companions that just wouldn't let it go.

It is too bad it happened to you. It doesn’t mean that Mormons are judgmental in general or that is how they will and do react in such circumstances. THAT conclusion strikes me as judgmental.
People are judgemental, whether they are Mormon or not. It's human nature to observe and draw conclusions. Some cultures are more judgemental than others over certain things.

I'm not losing any sleep over my experience. No grudges on my end. It was just something that happened, so I can relate to Emery's experience.

This was just my experience. I've witnessed numerous instances of judgey members.
We all can stand to do better in this regard, especially yours truly.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BoiseBYU wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Yours truley = Gunk, right?
Just messin'.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

BroncoBot wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:50 pm
BoiseBYU wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Yours truley = Gunk, right?
Just messin'.
I am pretty judgemental. Especially when it comes to BYU sports teams.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

byufan4ever wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:54 am I like Nick Emery as a basketball player and as a person. It appears he's been accused of all manner of things including breaking the honor code which he does flat out deny. He's been through a lot with that divorce. Maybe the booster thing is true. Maybe it isn't. One thing that I'm working on personally is to not judge others. Maybe it was just a smart move to avoid the NCAA penalty. I just hope he gets his life back together.

On a side note I think divorce for men in the LDS church is especially difficult. I remember someone writing in one time to the Ensign stating that there are plenty of articles all of the time about how women in the Church deal with divorce and unfaithful husbands etc but that there's never or rarely anything written for men to deal with divorce and unfaithful wives. Again, maybe Emery is at fault and maybe he isn't but it seems that in the Church 99.99% of the time everyone just assumes that the husband was either a jerk or unfaithful.
There is a ton of truth here. I've been through this myself.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

I do not subscribe to the theory that Mormons are particularly "judgey". Humans in general, tend to be "judgey". Depending on what social circle/groups you are involved/affiliated with, there are different things to be "judgey" about. People may be offended when a particular group tends to judge in one area more than another group, but I think you'll find that there is plenty of "judgeyness" to go around, and without conscious effort, folks will find something to be "judgey" about based on there personal values and biases.

I dislike the word "judgey"