hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Nick Emery Blogs About His Withdrawing from BYU

Post by hawkwing »

BlueK wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:11 pm
Gunk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:01 pm Some thoughts:

1) I think the NCAA investigation was the straw that broke the camel's back for Emery. Whether is was a way to skirt repercussions or not, I don't care. By withdrawing, we won't have to hear about it game after game. It won't be a distraction for him or the team.

2) People are nosey and judgey. Mormons, IMO, are particularly judgey. Case in point, I graduated high school at 19. Rather than go right into the mission field, I went to a year of college first. Just about every American missionary I met would badger me about starting my mission "late." The conversation usually went like this:
Judgey Missionary: So, why did you start your mission late?
Me: Uhh...what do you mean? I didn't start it late. I started it within the allotted time period.
Judgey Missionary: Every worthy and able-bodied 19 year old man is supposed to serve a mission. You're able bodied, so you must have had worthiness issues.
Me: Ummm, no. I just wanted to go to a year of college first. Get a year away from home before going into the field.
Judgey Missionary: Right...
Me: Yep, exactly.
Judgey Missionary: There's only one sin that I know of that requires someone to wait a year, and that's breaking the law of chastity.
Me: Ahh, nope. No chastity issue here.
Judgey Missionary: Sure...that's probably what they told you to say since when you're forgiven God doesn't remember your sins anymore so why should you.
Me: So...if we aren't supposed to remember our sins anymore, why are you bringing it up?
Judgey Missionary: See. Knew you had chastity issues. Fact defensive proves it.
Me: (sigh)...ya got me Elder.
Judgey Missionary: Knew it! What was is like?

I feel for Emery. Hope he sorts things out.
Geez, what a crappy thing to have to hear from another missionary. You can only hope people like that eventually grow up.
I guess I'm very lucky. I grew up in Provo, near Timpview High School. I didn't serve a mission until I was over 21 because it wasn't the right time for me at 19, or 20. I never once got pestered by people in my ward, school, or neighbors about why I wasn't going. Once on my mission, I was never berated nor had my worthiness questioned. We were just a bunch of missionaries out doing some hard work in an extremely difficult climate. Since I've been home I've never had anyone question me or call me out for going later.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

hawkwing wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:23 pm
BlueK wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:11 pm
Gunk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:01 pm Some thoughts:

1) I think the NCAA investigation was the straw that broke the camel's back for Emery. Whether is was a way to skirt repercussions or not, I don't care. By withdrawing, we won't have to hear about it game after game. It won't be a distraction for him or the team.

2) People are nosey and judgey. Mormons, IMO, are particularly judgey. Case in point, I graduated high school at 19. Rather than go right into the mission field, I went to a year of college first. Just about every American missionary I met would badger me about starting my mission "late." The conversation usually went like this:
Judgey Missionary: So, why did you start your mission late?
Me: Uhh...what do you mean? I didn't start it late. I started it within the allotted time period.
Judgey Missionary: Every worthy and able-bodied 19 year old man is supposed to serve a mission. You're able bodied, so you must have had worthiness issues.
Me: Ummm, no. I just wanted to go to a year of college first. Get a year away from home before going into the field.
Judgey Missionary: Right...
Me: Yep, exactly.
Judgey Missionary: There's only one sin that I know of that requires someone to wait a year, and that's breaking the law of chastity.
Me: Ahh, nope. No chastity issue here.
Judgey Missionary: Sure...that's probably what they told you to say since when you're forgiven God doesn't remember your sins anymore so why should you.
Me: So...if we aren't supposed to remember our sins anymore, why are you bringing it up?
Judgey Missionary: See. Knew you had chastity issues. Fact defensive proves it.
Me: (sigh)...ya got me Elder.
Judgey Missionary: Knew it! What was is like?

I feel for Emery. Hope he sorts things out.
Geez, what a crappy thing to have to hear from another missionary. You can only hope people like that eventually grow up.
I guess I'm very lucky. I grew up in Provo, near Timpview High School. I didn't serve a mission until I was over 21 because it wasn't the right time for me at 19, or 20. I never once got pestered by people in my ward, school, or neighbors about why I wasn't going. Once on my mission, I was never berated nor had my worthiness questioned. We were just a bunch of missionaries out doing some hard work in an extremely difficult climate. Since I've been home I've never had anyone question me or call me out for going later.
That was my experience too. We had several older missionaries--23 and 24 if I recall correctly and none of them shared the experience expressed above. Sure there are judgmental members of the church. We are all very imperfect. But some of the least judgmental people I know are members of my ward and family who quietly served without the sort of judgmentalism expressed above.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Well, consider yourself lucky because some shape or form of the above conversation happened at least a half dozen different times to me on my mission. Got tiring. I had a couple of companions that just wouldn't let it go.

I can only imagine the false accusations people are jumping to Emery's case.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

I just told the missionaries to go do something anatomically impossible. But then, I was also the missionary when I got transferred to Serbia, the missionaries in Croatia were taking bets about whether I would make it to the end of my mission.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

SpiffCoug wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:53 pm I just told the missionaries to go do something anatomically impossible. But then, I was also the missionary when I got transferred to Serbia, the missionaries in Croatia were taking bets about whether I would make it to the end of my mission.
How much did you have to pay them ;)

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

SpiffCoug wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:53 pm I just told the missionaries to go do something anatomically impossible. But then, I was also the missionary when I got transferred to Serbia, the missionaries in Croatia were taking bets about whether I would make it to the end of my mission.
So you’re the guy who caused the Balkan conflict? It all comes together now.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Gunk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:20 pm Well, consider yourself lucky because some shape or form of the above conversation happened at least a half dozen different times to me on my mission. Got tiring. I had a couple of companions that just wouldn't let it go.

It is too bad it happened to you. It doesn’t mean that Mormons are judgmental in general or that is how they will and do react in such circumstances. THAT conclusion strikes me as judgmental.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Gunk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:20 pm Well, consider yourself lucky because some shape or form of the above conversation happened at least a half dozen different times to me on my mission. Got tiring. I had a couple of companions that just wouldn't let it go.

Double post
Last edited by BoiseBYU on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I'm sorry that it happened to you Gunk. It really is unfair. There are many judgmental people in all walks of life and we all need a reminder to love one another and be less judgmental. Thanks for sharing your experience.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

Gunk, when did you serve. I served in the mid-90s when going to college for a year was the norm. Many missionaries were close to 20 by the they finished a year of college, got their call that summer and entered the MTC and made it to the field.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!