snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jeff Chatman No Longer a BYU Fan

Post by snoscythe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:00 pm

SpiffCoug wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:30 pm
One kid being poorly treated I leaned towards siding with the Chatmans. Now that we have a second kid being poorly treated it gives me pause to wonder if it wasn't BYU that was the issue. Because now we have potentially another common denominator that isn't BYU.
Fair and valid point.

We have to remember this is a dad, and dads are never bias-free.

Some of his complaints break down when I look at them a bit harder. BYU gave Jessica a hard time about academics, so he counters with the fact that she earned her associates degree in high school. While a noteworthy accomplishment, earning an associates degree doesn't mean you had good grades. It just means you made a plan early on to accomplish something and followed through with it. You could be a straight-C student and leave high school with an associates degree.

CrimsonCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:04 pm

frdbtr wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:11 am
DComing home early is a different story because sometimes you can't help that and from what I've seen everyone who has come home early has had to do it because of a medical reason.
Not to open a can of worms or derail the thread, but I've never understood what kind of a medical condition (barring mental health) would mean that you can't complete a mission but you can compete at the highest level of collegiate athletics.

I've always thought the medical reason thing was a smokescreen. And it's too bad that an athlete feels they have to throw up a smokescreen rather than being honest with themselves and others or just telling people it's none of their business. That's as much a comment on our LDS norms and culture rather than the athlete.

Regarding Chatman - I suspect that at its core, this was a mission issue scholarship crunch. Everything else is just Dad venting. The mission/scholarship tension is a lot easier to manage in football because there are so many of them which allows greater fungibility. I wish that bballers were encouraged to go even after they said they weren't planning on it, but I understand the need to plan from the coaches' perspective. And if a kid changes their mind, it isn't fair to have to revoke a scholarship from someone else that's been offered. I imagine the coaches would tell players that if they change their mind, the team will accommodate if they can but can't make any guarantees.

Jessica Chatman wasn't kicked off the team, it doesn't seem. Her scholarship essentially expired because she changed her timetable. Why couldn't she have continued as a walk-on and continued to earn her place in the rotation? It's not like BYU is really THAT expensive. Tuition is $2700. But if she wants to go somewhere else where she wouldn't even incur that debt, that's fine too. Just saying, there are choices, consequences and solutions. None of that needs to cause rifts.
The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:47 pm

CrimsonCoug wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:04 pm
frdbtr wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:11 am
DComing home early is a different story because sometimes you can't help that and from what I've seen everyone who has come home early has had to do it because of a medical reason.
Not to open a can of worms or derail the thread, but I've never understood what kind of a medical condition (barring mental health) would mean that you can't complete a mission but you can compete at the highest level of collegiate athletics.

I've always thought the medical reason thing was a smokescreen. And it's too bad that an athlete feels they have to throw up a smokescreen rather than being honest with themselves and others or just telling people it's none of their business. That's as much a comment on our LDS norms and culture rather than the athlete.

Regarding Chatman - I suspect that at its core, this was a mission issue scholarship crunch. Everything else is just Dad venting. The mission/scholarship tension is a lot easier to manage in football because there are so many of them which allows greater fungibility. I wish that bballers were encouraged to go even after they said they weren't planning on it, but I understand the need to plan from the coaches' perspective. And if a kid changes their mind, it isn't fair to have to revoke a scholarship from someone else that's been offered. I imagine the coaches would tell players that if they change their mind, the team will accommodate if they can but can't make any guarantees.

Jessica Chatman wasn't kicked off the team, it doesn't seem. Her scholarship essentially expired because she changed her timetable. Why couldn't she have continued as a walk-on and continued to earn her place in the rotation? It's not like BYU is really THAT expensive. Tuition is $2700. But if she wants to go somewhere else where she wouldn't even incur that debt, that's fine too. Just saying, there are choices, consequences and solutions. None of that needs to cause rifts.
Depression