McKay Cannon

BYU Cougars on the court.
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: McKay Cannon

Post by BlueK »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:50 am Sad state of affairs when a Weber State cast-off is a difference-maker for BYU.

3rd place in the WCC year-after-year sounds like over-achieving sometimes.
It's always possible to find a negative in something positive if you try hard enough, I guess.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BlueK wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:44 pm
snoscythe wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:50 am Sad state of affairs when a Weber State cast-off is a difference-maker for BYU.

It's always possible to find a negative in something positive if you try hard enough, I guess.
The fact that Cannon could be such a positive is a negative commentary on the state of the program.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:51 pm

The fact that Cannon could be such a positive is a negative commentary on the state of the program.
The only program being made to look bad right now is Weber State. BYU's path to the tournament is right in front of them and looks more than achievable. Just beat the teams they should and the rpi and record will be where it needs to be. Sure, beat SMC or Gonzaga at home probably needs to be part of it, but heck, we even beat the Zags at their place last year, so beating those guys at home when neither seems to be as good as last year is not out of the question by any means. The level of play of the team so far is visibly quite different than last year already.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

tmoney35 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:45 pm
selway wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:25 pmHarding as some might remember was an ESPN top 100 4* who is a terrific defender and actually has a body.
I feel like I've become jaded with "ESPN top 100" players. Seems like we've been getting quite a few top 100 players the past couple years, yet the days when I was confident in us making the tournament every year seem like a distant memory
how many have actually even played that much for us yet?

Mika we had for 2 years. Seemed to be pretty good but left early.

Haws is early in his second year. Has had his moments, was all-conference as a freshman just off a mission. He's struggled in the last few games for sure, but it's still too early to write him off. I think he's salvageable.

Emery played two years, more than lived up to it as freshman, had personal issues last year we didn't know about and fell back.

Childs has more than lived up to his lower top 100 ranking

Dastrup, yeah, not yet, but has shown signs of improvement this year. Was actually instrumental in the comeback win against UMass. I think the closing 5-6 minutes of that game stand out as one of the most important stretches of the season because of the shot of confidence it gave. We've been pretty darn good ever since.

The rest haven't played yet. Oh yeah, maybe LJ Rose counts, but because of constant injury trouble, he never panned out long before he came to us.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

My take on Cannon is I'm glad he's there to fill in the vacuum created by the unplanned departure of Emery. I don't know that anyone was expecting what we have seen in the 2 games he's played for the Cougars. Dang it's nice to find a positive surprise around here these days.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

EM_Puma wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:09 pm My take on Cannon is I'm glad he's there to fill in the vacuum created by the unplanned departure of Emery. I don't know that anyone was expecting what we have seen in the 2 games he's played for the Cougars. Dang it's nice to find a positive surprise around here these days.
Getting very solid performances from a surprise backup point guard is a positive however you look at it. Also, it's not like football where the entire season is going nowhere and a QB deep on the bench lat in the season gets to play and does pretty well. That DOES speak to the problems of that team. This is completely different. Like you said, Cannon is only stepping in to fill a void created by a last minute surprise of Emery leaving the team. If Emery played the last two games the way Cannon has, we would be pleased but not really surprised.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Maybe being let go by Weber was the motivation Cannon needed to go up a notch. Maybe Weber was really dumb. I certainly attacked my job a whole lot differently and better after I was laid off. I've also performed differently/better within different work environments, so I don't see why Cannon coming on board and doing well is unfathomable.

Either way, Cannon is playing solid hoops and he's doing it in a BYU uniform.

If he was a "cast away" from Weber and wasn't performing like many past transfers, then I'd get the negativity. Right now, it looks like a good get.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

Gunk wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:32 pm Maybe being let go by Weber was the motivation Cannon needed to go up a notch. Maybe Weber was really dumb. I certainly attacked my job a whole lot differently and better after I was laid off. I've also performed differently/better within different work environments, so I don't see why Cannon coming on board and doing well is unfathomable.

Either way, Cannon is playing solid hoops and he's doing it in a BYU uniform.

If he was a "cast away" from Weber and wasn't performing like many past transfers, then I'd get the negativity. Right now, it looks like a good get.
Not to mention that some systems take better advantage of certain player's strengths than others.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Uh, we are 6-2, with some good wins and good losses - and at halftime we just held our opponent to 17 points, which is the first time in forever we can say that. Maybe lighten up a bit, and watch a game once in a while. Anyone watching the games has been pretty happy about what they see.

Jeez.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Liking what I see of Cannon. Good, solid ball player. Better than Burgess and a lot of other guards we've had on the team.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel