Athlon Sports Projects Cougars to MISS the NCAA Tourney for 3rd straight year

BYU Cougars on the court.
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Athlon Sports Projects Cougars to MISS the NCAA Tourney for 3rd straight year

Post by nuk13 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:56 pm

mormonrasta wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:26 pm
With this scandal involving the assistant coaches accepting bribes likely resulting in NCAA crackdowns, BYU could actually make the tournament and make a good run.
The sight www.nytimes.com quotes Louisville interim president Postel with the following, "Effective immediately, coach Pitino has been placed on unpaid administrative leave." It was a meandering article but assistant coaches were mentioned, and prostitution was involved. It said Adidas money was directed to 2 high school prospects. Pitino's contract, which runs through 2026, is said to be the highest in the nation at more than$7.7 million a year. Others at other schools are implicated but nothing specific was given. Hopefully some of you can dig out more about this. There will be more.

Personally I am encouraged by how clean BYU's program is. A lot's been said about the Honor Code and how it restricts recruiting but it is far better than scandals like this.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Athlon Sports Projects Cougars to MISS the NCAA Tourney for 3rd straight year

Post by Gunk » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:19 pm

More coaches will lose their jobs and there will be a shuffle of players. There will be fewer super teams filled with 5 star recruits.

I doubt, though, it will affect BYU all that much. We still have to beat St. Mary's and Gonzaga. Two schools that I highly doubt are affected by this scandal.

NCAA needs to get rid of the 1 year requirement. I'm not a fan of paying players. Let the players good enough to be paid to play go play professional hoops.
Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:55 pm

Pitino fired now. Auburn, Miami, USC, and Oklahoma State also mentioned as schools of interest.
Mars al'Thor, The Cougar Reborn!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:47 pm

Man this is a downer of the thread.

Here are a few reasons for optimism:

1. TJ Haws averaged was our second best player last year. He should take a leap forward with a full offseason of training.

2.Our other best returning player Childs was a freshman as well. He should take a major step forward.

3. Seljaas is back as well. He will provide some needed wing defense and of course even more shooting.

4. Think about trying to defend our team. I expect us to go small to finish games with a Haws, Emery, Bryant, Seljaas and Childs team. We are going to be a very good offensive team.
Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:59 am

Like how Nick Emery took a step forward?
Mars al'Thor, The Cougar Reborn!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars

byufan4ever
All-American

Post by byufan4ever » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:41 am

If we're going small we need to figure out how to shoot the 3 ball and how to defend it.
"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:29 pm

Mars wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:59 am
Exactly what I was thinking.
Hoping they BOTH make some big strides this year. Maybe Mika was holding them back?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:35 pm

Mars wrote:
I heard rumors that Nick got a divorce. Anyone else hear that? If true, it could explain his poor and inconsistent play last year.
BYU PER W/L Since 1988: 319-53 (.858 )
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:26 pm

SpiffCoug wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:35 pm
Mars wrote:
I heard rumors that Nick got a divorce. Anyone else hear that? If true, it could explain his poor and inconsistent play last year.
He certainly got worse when he got married.

Seriously, though, BYU/Rose doesn't have the best track record when it comes to players making dramatic improvement.
Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel