Interesting blue-goggled Mika theory

BYU Cougars on the court.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Interesting blue-goggled Mika theory

Post by snoscythe »

Talking to a guy on Sunday who is closer to the hoops program than I will ever be, he offered his opinion as to why Mika was leaving despite being a fringe NBA talent.

He said that this was probably his best shot, even if he made big stride at BYU in 2017-18, not because of anything to do with Mika, Rose, or BYU's program in general, but because he was likely going to be overshadowed this next season as Yoeli takes big strides forward in an offense that really lends itself better to success at the 4 and not the 5. Even if Mika improved, he thinks his share of the stats would decrease as Childs' growth (our only true NBA prospect on the team) demands more touches.

Interesting take that is admittedly blue-goggled.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Interesting blue-goggled Mika theory

Post by Gunk »

Last season was certainly the only chance Mika had to be "the man." With Childs as a newbie, TJ shaking off mission rust, and Bryant getting more experience, Mila certainly wouldn't have gotten as many touches this next season. Could be some truth to that theory. You could tell this last season Mika was using every chance he got. Ball went into the post and it rarely, if ever went back out.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I think there's some definite truth to it, I also think there's some truth to the idea that Mika didn't feel that the coaching staff at BYU was capable of helping him progress nor of winning the WCC or making any sort of a splash in the tournament so any extra time at BYU was simply wasted.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I think it was mostly age related. Mika himself said on multiple occasions that he was getting old for the NBA draft. All you Rose haters can blame coaching for him wanting to leave but Mika has never said anything about that as a reason in any interview. Believe me, you don't have to say it specifically, but usually when someone is pissed at coaching, he will make some comments that lead to that. Mika never did.