It's Official -- Eric Mika = Gone

BYU Cougars on the court.
HoosierCougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: It's Official -- Eric Mika = Gone

Post by HoosierCougar »

If the issue is that he really didn't want to come back, that is possibly a harbinger of future fallout. It was during the end of the Roger Reid era Matt Christensen (son of Clayton) reportedly told his father after a recruiting visit that he loved BYU and everything about and he'd like to go there if he didn't have to play basketball. (He ended up a Duke playing nominal minutes over 4 years.)

I don't want to see the same thing happen to Rose. If kids really don't want to be here, something has to change. But is it a coaching issue alone? Our players rip the gyms of WCC schools, then lay eggs there. That's not all coaching.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Carlino said he loved everything about BYU except for the basketball.

I know Carlino is a polarizing player, and I certainly won't hide the fact I was a fan. Regardless, that statement is telling, IMO. It wasn't the HC. It wasn't being in Provo. It wasn't being surrounded by a bunch of Mormons. It was the basketball.

Something isn't right with BYU hoops, and unfortunately I think it's the coaching.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Fido wrote:Some guys have different motivations. Mika's is to play at the next level and feels like moving is the best step. It didn't sound like he had any doubt that was what he was going to do. That's not Rose's fault. Plenty of guys leave early for the NBA whether they should or shouldn't. Holding Rose to the standard that he needs to convince guys to stay through 4 years of eligibility or he should be fired is BYU-centric antiquated thinking.
Then forget Eric, look at Frank Jackson. He was a BYU commit, BYU hired his high school coach and gave 4 of his teammates spots on the team, and he still got scared away. It's not only Mika. Not to mention losing road games to 200ish RPI Pepperdine every season. Or taking BYU's most talented roster in a decade and losing a first round NIT home game. Or getting blown out in Provo by Utah Valley. There's trouble in the program, and it seems to be growing. The number of guys leaving the program annually is staggering for a religious University. And the guys who stay don't seem to be getting any stronger physically, any more talented individually, or any more disciplined playing within a system. We don't play defense, we don't dish out assists... It's ugly. No bueno.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote:
Fido wrote:Some guys have different motivations. Mika's is to play at the next level and feels like moving is the best step. It didn't sound like he had any doubt that was what he was going to do. That's not Rose's fault. Plenty of guys leave early for the NBA whether they should or shouldn't. Holding Rose to the standard that he needs to convince guys to stay through 4 years of eligibility or he should be fired is BYU-centric antiquated thinking.
And the guys who stay don't seem to be getting any stronger physically, any more talented individually, or any more disciplined playing within a system. We don't play defense, we don't dish out assists... It's ugly. No bueno.
For years now I think BYU has looked and played like a high level church ball team. They get a lot of wins because they are indeed very talented. But, too often it looks like they practice a few times a year together and just get together on game night and ball. Mars, you're post verbalized pretty well how I've felt about it. It's post Jimmer basketball still at BYU. I think too many players are coming to the Y expecting loose discipline and a green light on offense.

Interestingly, if BYU played with the effort and intensity of say... Jackson Emery, the 2016-17 team likely would have been dancing. It's too unstructured, too undisciplined, low expectation basketball.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

I've said it before, Jimmer was the best and worst thing to happen to BYU hoops. Best because of the publicity, sweet 16, and all the fun. Worst because ever since Jimmer, it's been undisciplined, church-ball style hoops. Rose lost complete control over BYU hoops and hasn't gotten it back.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I agree. We need to fire the all time winningest coach at BYU because he hasn't been able to win a NC at BYU with sub par talent and the honor code. Great plan.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

frdbtr wrote:I agree. We need to fire the all time winningest coach at BYU because he hasn't been able to win a NC at BYU with sub par talent and the honor code. Great plan.
Where did I say we should fire Rose or even propose a plan?

As for talent, Rose has had some of the highest ranked players BYU has ever had. So, either our players are overrated, our coach doesn't know what to do with them, or there is some combination of the two.

As for retaining an employee for past performance, I've never been too high on that philosophy. Yes, Rose has accomplished more than pretty much any other BYU coach, but as of late his performance is slipping. He's earned a grace period, but that period is running out. An employee that was "great" five years ago doesn't do much for you except remind you how much better they could be.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Cleveland is a great example. He turned around BYU after some major losing. But at the end, he was pushed away to Fresno.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Some of the highest rated players? Well, how many of them ended up in the NBA? Remember that team that Ainge led to the sweet 16? Look it up. There were about 4 of them that played a long time in the NBA. I am not happy about the current results either but there is more wrong with the status of BYU basketball than just Rose. He had a coaching change in the off season, lets see what happens from that before we start firing head coaches.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

frdbtr wrote:I agree. We need to fire the all time winningest coach at BYU because he hasn't been able to win a NC at BYU with sub par talent and the honor code. Great plan.
Forget the NC, I'd be happy with a few regular season WCC titles at this point. BYU hasn't even been close to competing for the season title for 6 years now.