nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: It's Official -- Eric Mika = Gone

Post by nuk13 »

mormonrasta wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Ddawg wrote:I was holding out hope Mika would not sign with an agent - so he could come back if his draft didn't work out.
He either had to be in or out. The NBA only gives them until the 24th of May to decide if they are in or out. He can't go into the draft without an agent and then go back to college if he doesn't like the result.
Which is a shame. I wish the NCAA would allow players to come back to school if they don't like their draft position. I understand it would be a hassle for coaches to have to hang tight for an extra month, but most would be thrilled with getting talented players like Mika back for a year or two.
I'd be thrilled to get Mika back for a year or two.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

nuk13 wrote:
mormonrasta wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Ddawg wrote:I was holding out hope Mika would not sign with an agent - so he could come back if his draft didn't work out.
He either had to be in or out. The NBA only gives them until the 24th of May to decide if they are in or out. He can't go into the draft without an agent and then go back to college if he doesn't like the result.
Which is a shame. I wish the NCAA would allow players to come back to school if they don't like their draft position. I understand it would be a hassle for coaches to have to hang tight for an extra month, but most would be thrilled with getting talented players like Mika back for a year or two.
Mika could have gone undrafted and he still wouldn't have returned to BYU. He had no desire to come back at all.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

hawkwing wrote:
nuk13 wrote:
mormonrasta wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Mika could have gone undrafted and he still wouldn't have returned to BYU. He had no desire to come back at all.
what was the full story here? Sure seemed like he was determined to leave.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

I'd also like to know why he wants to leave. Is this a big secret? I assume something needs correcting.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

What has Rose, or BYU basketball in general, done in the last 10 years to make think Mika think his stock will go any higher than it is right now after his showcase against Gonzaga?

I don't blame the kid for striking while the iron is hot. I think it's a pretty scathing indictment of the lack of player-development within the program that a kid could leave early for Europe over staying in the program.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

He was playing with 3 high school teammates AND his high school coach, and STILL couldn't wait to leave. This is why Rose should be fired.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote:What has Rose, or BYU basketball in general, done in the last 10 years to make think Mika think his stock will go any higher than it is right now after his showcase against Gonzaga?

I don't blame the kid for striking while the iron is hot. I think it's a pretty scathing indictment of the lack of player-development within the program that a kid could leave early for Europe over staying in the program.
I've thought a couple times that the Gonzaga game was probably the worst thing to happen in retaining Mika. Really put him on the radar.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I think Mika pretty much always had this in his head. I suspect to coaches and teammates he told them he was all in but in reality he had his own agenda. Why do I think this?
1) While his high school teammates went on missions first, Mika chose to play hoops. If he was set on a LP3 dynasty he would have opted to go on his mission first (assuming he was worthy) to maximize the LP3.
2) When he announced he was going into the draft he made some apology to his teammates about not sticking to the plan or something like that. So, clearly they discussed the idea of playing together.
3) Despite the apparent discussions he declares for the draft.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

If what Sno, Gunk and Mars are indicating has truth to it, it may be time to look at the coaching. I appreciate what Rose has done for BYU but we are getting pretty much the same thing every year. With some variation, we finish 2nd or 3rd in the conference and one and done in the NCAA. For the first time in a few years, we had an inside game with 2 very good players there so we didn't have to rely so much on the unreliable 3 point shot. If we are going back to mostly 3 point shooters then I repeat my first line. With Mika gone how good will our rebounders be at getting the ball back after missed 3 pointers?

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Some guys have different motivations. Mika's is to play at the next level and feels like moving is the best step. It didn't sound like he had any doubt that was what he was going to do. That's not Rose's fault. Plenty of guys leave early for the NBA whether they should or shouldn't. Holding Rose to the standard that he needs to convince guys to stay through 4 years of eligibility or he should be fired is BYU-centric antiquated thinking.