Post by hawkwing »

He's gone.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Mika to attend the NBA Draft Combine

Post by Gunk »

Pretty much. On the bright side, BYU may actually send a player to the NBA that sticks.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

I'm not placing a bet just yet. http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2017/4/29 ... invitation

While this is a positive development for Mika’s NBA hopes, it’s also not a guarantee that he won’t be back in Provo next season. An invite to the combine does not mean a player will be drafted. Several players who will likely be back in school next season (like Duke’s Frank Jackson) are on the invite list. And Mika’s late addition — he wasn’t on initial lists that circulated on Friday and early Saturday — suggests he may have been added after top prospects declined to participate, as they traditionally do.

So today’s news is a great next step for Eric Mika’s professional aspirations — but he’s still got plenty of work ahead of him. Now he knows he’ll get the chance to give it a shot.

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

This invite is going to clarify Mika's situation. Either he is going to measure bigger than expected and he can be a center. Or he won't and he will have to look overseas.

Either he is going to measure out as an above average athlete or he won't.

Maybe he can interview so well he can convince them take him on potential.

And he might get feedback that sends him back BYU for one more year.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
StatsCougar
BLUEshirt

Post by StatsCougar »

Didn't Tyler Haws and/or Jimmer get invited to the combine their Junior year?

BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BlueK »

There is a big difference between the NBA combine and the NFL combine. In the NBA, those believed to be first round picks decline the invitation, and even most second round picks even if they do attend only participate in five on five games but not the tests and drills. At least, that's what I read over the weekend. It's evolved into an event only to help those completely off the radar to get a look.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Just doing a quick glance at the draft results and combine participation for 2016 50% of those taken in the first round participated in the combine and those that didn't were almost universally from other countries and not invited to the combine.

In fact, of those in the first round who did not participate in the combine there were only 3 who were US players.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

BlueK wrote:There is a big difference between the NBA combine and the NFL combine. In the NBA, those believed to be first round picks decline the invitation, and even most second round picks even if they do attend only participate in five on five games but not the tests and drills. At least, that's what I read over the weekend. It's evolved into an event only to help those completely off the radar to get a look.
That's stretching the truth I think.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1927 ... ft-combine
The combine will take place May 9-14 at the Quest Center in Chicago, and many of those projected to be taken in the first round have elected to participate in the drills. However, many have declined the 5-on-5 game portion for fear of hurting their draft stock.
Last year the top 2 picks and 2 other lottery picks did not attend. This year I think only Lonzo Ball has officially declined. Other lottery picks may join him. Frank Ntilikina who is still playing in Euro competition just will not be able to physically make it (I know nothing about him but he's only averaging 5.2 pts and 1.2 ast, what do scouts see in him?? - https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/ntilikin ... /227599504). Also, Markelle Fultz who could go #1 is expected to attend (although will not do on-court activities).

Please let me know where you are reading that nobody from the first round attends the NBA combine anymore.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/201 ... down-5909/

It seems from this list that quite a few of the attendees are playing five on five but not testing.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...