My opinion on why BYU "under achieved" last season

BYU Cougars on the court.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5564
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

My opinion on why BYU "under achieved" last season

Post by frdbtr » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:32 am

This is just my opinion so take it for what it is worth.

1st reason: Inexperience. BYU had a couple Sr's on the roster until they got hurt. The starting lineup was made up of Freshmen and sophomores. Inexperience matters even if we think that since 3 of the starters played together in high school and won a high school NC that they should have done the same thing the 1st year they play together in college.

2nd reason: Defense. BYU hasn't played good defense in years. I don't know why. Is it because of coaching changes where the defensive minded coaches left? Is it because the players all want to score and so they decide to not play the defense they were coached all week? I put this as reason 2 but it is really the most important thing that needs fixed whether Mika comes back or not. To Nick Emery's credit, it looked like he wanted to play good defense but just didn't which IMO affected his offense (see reason 3).

3rd reason: Emery had a horrible year offensively. Nick Emery looked to me to be a future superstar his freshmen year. Yes, he wasn't consistent but few freshman are. There were games where he looked like he was going to be a seriously dominant player, but last year he simply played terrible. Was it because he decided to try to be a defensive stopper and that took away from his offensive game? Was it because he was injured? I'm not sure, but if BYU is going to go anywhere next year, even if Mika comes back, we are going to need Nick Emery to play up to his potential.

These aren't the only reasons but they are the top 3 IMO. I hope to see some, if not all of these issues worked on and improved on next year or I will be hoping that Rose's seat becomes really hot if the team plays under its potential next year.
Last edited by frdbtr on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
byufan4ever
All-American
Posts: 1189
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:03 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: My opinion on why BYU "under achieved" last season

Post by byufan4ever » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:50 am

Haws got my expectations up with that first game of the season but I'll give him a pass. I agree with what you said on Emery. He looked like a superstar in the making as a Fr and heading into this past season I thought he was going to be our leading scorer with Mika shaking off the mission dust. I always hear so much about how the biggest leap in improvement is from Fr to So...hopefully Emery is just a year late on that.

Emery is not the main issue, but like you said, his lack of improvement was one of the contributing factors in our disappointing season.
"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 9218
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: My opinion on why BYU "under achieved" last season

Post by BroncoBot » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:53 am

agreed with defense being main culprit. it was bad at times.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5564
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: My opinion on why BYU "under achieved" last season

Post by frdbtr » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:54 am

byufan4ever wrote:Haws got my expectations up with that first game of the season but I'll give him a pass. I agree with what you said on Emery. He looked like a superstar in the making as a Fr and heading into this past season I thought he was going to be our leading scorer with Mika shaking off the mission dust. I always hear so much about how the biggest leap in improvement is from Fr to So...hopefully Emery is just a year late on that.

Emery is not the main issue, but like you said, his lack of improvement was one of the contributing factors in our disappointing season.
Yeah, you are right. Don't misinterpret what I am saying with point 3 everyone. I am not putting the blame on Emery, I'm just making a point about him being an important part of the LP3. If he were on his game this last year, BYU wouldn't have lost some of the head scratcher games. We need him to be at his best even if Mika comes back.

User avatar
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5576
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:07 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: My opinion on why BYU "under achieved" last season

Post by Brayden Green » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:56 pm

No bench mentions? We had the worst scoring bench in the nation. We have young talent coming off missions that will help (Andrus, Dalton Nixon, possibly Seljaas coming back next year). With a healthy Peyton Dastrup that is already sounding good, and my guess is guys like Beo will get the boot when things get a little crunchy if we get a JC transfer or two.

The starters played pretty well, Emery included. They just played too much.
When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Image

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5564
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: My opinion on why BYU "under achieved" last season

Post by frdbtr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:00 am

Brayden Green wrote:No bench mentions? We had the worst scoring bench in the nation. We have young talent coming off missions that will help (Andrus, Dalton Nixon, possibly Seljaas coming back next year). With a healthy Peyton Dastrup that is already sounding good, and my guess is guys like Beo will get the boot when things get a little crunchy if we get a JC transfer or two.

The starters played pretty well, Emery included. They just played too much.
I only mentioned the starting lineup talking about inexperience. The Bench was part of the inexperience and was probably why it played so poorly. If our only Sr's hadn't gotten injured, the bench probably would have played better. Plus my 3 reasons were what I was saying were the main reasons. There were tons more but those were my main ones. And Emery was a shadow of the player he was as a freshman this year. He played far from well.

User avatar
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5576
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:07 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: My opinion on why BYU "under achieved" last season

Post by Brayden Green » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:11 pm

frdbtr wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:No bench mentions? We had the worst scoring bench in the nation. We have young talent coming off missions that will help (Andrus, Dalton Nixon, possibly Seljaas coming back next year). With a healthy Peyton Dastrup that is already sounding good, and my guess is guys like Beo will get the boot when things get a little crunchy if we get a JC transfer or two.

The starters played pretty well, Emery included. They just played too much.
I only mentioned the starting lineup talking about inexperience. The Bench was part of the inexperience and was probably why it played so poorly. If our only Sr's hadn't gotten injured, the bench probably would have played better. Plus my 3 reasons were what I was saying were the main reasons. There were tons more but those were my main ones. And Emery was a shadow of the player he was as a freshman this year. He played far from well.
Yeah, the seniors getting injured took us from talented starters and decent depth, to... Oh no. Everyone needs to play 35 mins a night. I think they just got fatigued. I think Emery (our best defender) got fatigued from all the exertion.

It's very possible that LJ Rose and Yoeli or Davis coming off the bench would have been huge for the team. We could have spelled our starters for longer, more often, and actually scored and not turned the ball over when the subs came in.
When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Image

User avatar
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5576
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:07 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: My opinion on why BYU "under achieved" last season

Post by Brayden Green » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:12 pm

frdbtr wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:No bench mentions? We had the worst scoring bench in the nation. We have young talent coming off missions that will help (Andrus, Dalton Nixon, possibly Seljaas coming back next year). With a healthy Peyton Dastrup that is already sounding good, and my guess is guys like Beo will get the boot when things get a little crunchy if we get a JC transfer or two.

The starters played pretty well, Emery included. They just played too much.
I only mentioned the starting lineup talking about inexperience. The Bench was part of the inexperience and was probably why it played so poorly. If our only Sr's hadn't gotten injured, the bench probably would have played better. Plus my 3 reasons were what I was saying were the main reasons. There were tons more but those were my main ones. And Emery was a shadow of the player he was as a freshman this year. He played far from well.
Yeah, the seniors getting injured took us from talented starters and decent depth, to... Oh no. Everyone needs to play 35 mins a night. I think they just got fatigued. I think Emery (our best defender) got fatigued from all the exertion.

It's very possible that LJ Rose and Yoeli or Davis coming off the bench would have been huge for the team. We could have spelled our starters for longer, more often, and actually scored and not turned the ball over when the subs came in.
When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Image

User avatar
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5605
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:23 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: My opinion on why BYU "under achieved" last season

Post by Gunk » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:23 pm

The only senior that was a loss for us was Davis. By the 5th game teams figured out LJ wasn't going to do anything with the ball other than pass it to someone. We dropped games we shouldn't have with our Seniors, so I don't give much stock to their presence.

Yes, with their injuries our bench got a lot thinner, but we were already losing games.

Lack of defense and youth are big factors, but the primary reason in my book is coaching. The team played sloppy ball a lot of the season. This was not a well-disciplined team. Things were downright chaotic at times, even with our level-headed seniors. I feel players of late have gotten away from Rose and company.

I can understand shots not falling. I can understand players not being quick enough on D. What I can't understand are players routinely dribbling down the court and launching a 3 pointer 5 feet behind the line with a defender in their face. What I also don't understand is a post player (cough...Mika) never passing it back out and taking on 2 or more defenders. It's hard to play inside-out ball when the ball never goes back out once it goes inside. There was very little team ball, and that's on Rose. The fact Mika is bailing, I think says a lot about the team and coaching dynamics.
Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel

User avatar
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5576
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:07 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: My opinion on why BYU "under achieved" last season

Post by Brayden Green » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:53 pm

LJ Rose is a million times better than Beo, and good bench minutes are good bench minutes.
When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Image

Post Reply