6%

Total votes: 17

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU Basketball '17-18 Expectations

Post by hawkwing »

At this point, I think it's fair to say it's an 80%+ chance Mika is not coming back. So base expectations accordingly.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

If that is the criteria, then BYU goes to the NIT.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

frdbtr wrote:If that is the criteria, then BYU goes to the NIT.
Ditto.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

I actually think the team will be better with Mika gone. There wasn't a lot of "team" once the ball was passed to Mika. He certainly carried the team. He basically beat Gonzaga, but the ball pretty much stopped once it touched his hands.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
birdie702
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by birdie702 »

With Zac Seljaas back (medical release), BYU will at least make more 3s and still no defense...lol

BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BlueK »

EM_Puma wrote:
frdbtr wrote:Depends on if Mika pulls out of the draft and comes back.
Exactly. The team cannot replace, tit-for-tat, Eric Mika with those that are signed or could be signed. So until it is know, it would be difficult to make a choice.
what if the guards suddenly actually play better without Mika because they never felt comfortable in a post-heavy inside/out game? I think the only one who was comfortable in that type of offense was LJ Rose. I love Mika, and he's great, but it's just something to think about.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Cougarfan87 wrote:Defense. Coaching defense. Playing defense. Making defense the priority. Basketball is a game of percentages and hustle. No one makes everything they shoot. To win games, you have to make the opponents shooting percentage lower by making them take tough shots, and hustle to get more opportunities yourself (rebound). It's not rocket science. I just don't know why BYU doesn't play good defense. Good defense is all about hustle and effort. It takes very little talent, and these guys all have talent to play good defense. It is where they are putting the emphasis that is a systemic problem, in my opinion. They have a green light to shoot and everyone loves to be the flashy scorer, but who wants to be known as the defensive beast on BYU? That isn't to say that they haven't had some good defensive players, but team defense? Forget about it. Until that changes, they will never go anywhere, especially in the NCAA tournament.
Statistically the defense as a whole over the entire season was actually ranked higher than the offense. Sure, it was awful at times in certain games. The NIT game is an example. HOWEVER, you can't win when the offense is turning the ball over 30 times either. That was insane in that game and deserves attention. The offense as a whole was very inconsistent. Generally Rose offenses have been good limiting the turnovers. This year's was really bad in that category.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I'm always leery of predictions that are based on dramatic improvement by losing the teams far and away best player.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

BlueK wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:Defense. Coaching defense. Playing defense. Making defense the priority. Basketball is a game of percentages and hustle. No one makes everything they shoot. To win games, you have to make the opponents shooting percentage lower by making them take tough shots, and hustle to get more opportunities yourself (rebound). It's not rocket science. I just don't know why BYU doesn't play good defense. Good defense is all about hustle and effort. It takes very little talent, and these guys all have talent to play good defense. It is where they are putting the emphasis that is a systemic problem, in my opinion. They have a green light to shoot and everyone loves to be the flashy scorer, but who wants to be known as the defensive beast on BYU? That isn't to say that they haven't had some good defensive players, but team defense? Forget about it. Until that changes, they will never go anywhere, especially in the NCAA tournament.
Statistically the defense as a whole over the entire season was actually ranked higher than the offense. Sure, it was awful at times in certain games. The NIT game is an example. HOWEVER, you can't win when the offense is turning the ball over 30 times either. That was insane in that game and deserves attention. The offense as a whole was very inconsistent. Generally Rose offenses have been good limiting the turnovers. This year's was really bad in that category.
You will get no argument from me that the turnovers are a huge problem for this team. Turnovers are like doing the other defense's job for them. Play good defense, rebound, and limit turnovers and it is going to be hard to lose a game.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Zac Seljaas is officially back for next year.