6%

Total votes: 17

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU Basketball '17-18 Expectations

Post by hawkwing »

What are your expectations for BYU Basketballs 2017-2018. Choose the highest round that BYU basketball will reach.

Leave comments.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Re: BYU Basketball '17-18 Expectations

Post by frdbtr »

Depends on if Mika pulls out of the draft and comes back.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

frdbtr wrote:Depends on if Mika pulls out of the draft and comes back.
Exactly. The team cannot replace, tit-for-tat, Eric Mika with those that are signed or could be signed. So until it is know, it would be difficult to make a choice.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

So basically you're entire expectations rest on Mika returning, with him BYU has a chance to not be terrible, without him they are terrible.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

With him, they make the NCAA tourney. Without him, they don't.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

here's my expectations. Doesn't matter who comes back.

2nd or third in conference play again. I'll go on a limb and say BYU makes the conference finals and gets beat by the zags, again. 50/50 make the ncaa tournament. with perhaps one win or lose first round. if NIT early exit or perhaps one of those exciting deep runs. maybe.

BYU basketball's has become a broken record. Having said that, it's not a bad record to have to listen to over and over and a few notes are even enjoyable. I just don't understand what can get them back to progressing upward. seems the program has hit some iron ceiling which will take some unforeseeable event to break through.

it's interesting, Rose is currently coaching a utah high school all star team, for crying out loud, and fans expect them to beat the best players in the country who have teamed up at st. elsewhere. maybe, in 2 years BYU will break through and win the conference. but that's the earliest I see that happening and I don't think gonzaga is about to relinquish their dominance. Not if mark Few is still around.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

here's my expectations. Doesn't matter who comes back.

2nd or third in conference play again. I'll go on a limb and say BYU makes the conference finals and gets beat by the zags, again. 50/50 make the ncaa tournament. with perhaps one win or lose first round. if NIT early exit or perhaps one of those exciting deep runs. maybe.

BYU basketball's has become a broken record. Having said that, it's not a bad record to have to listen to over and over and a few notes are even enjoyable. I just don't understand what can get them back to progressing upward. seems the program has hit some iron ceiling which will take some unforeseeable event to break through.

it's interesting, Rose is currently coaching a utah high school all star team, for crying out loud, and fans expect them to beat the best players in the country who have teamed up at st. elsewhere. maybe, in 2 years BYU will break through and win the conference. but that's the earliest I see that happening and I don't think gonzaga is about to relinquish their dominance. Not if mark Few is still around.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Defense. Coaching defense. Playing defense. Making defense the priority. Basketball is a game of percentages and hustle. No one makes everything they shoot. To win games, you have to make the opponents shooting percentage lower by making them take tough shots, and hustle to get more opportunities yourself (rebound). It's not rocket science. I just don't know why BYU doesn't play good defense. Good defense is all about hustle and effort. It takes very little talent, and these guys all have talent to play good defense. It is where they are putting the emphasis that is a systemic problem, in my opinion. They have a green light to shoot and everyone loves to be the flashy scorer, but who wants to be known as the defensive beast on BYU? That isn't to say that they haven't had some good defensive players, but team defense? Forget about it. Until that changes, they will never go anywhere, especially in the NCAA tournament.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Yeah, I'm not voting until I know the roster. Mika is that good. And expectations vs what I think will happen are two different things. My expectations to make up for the past two seasons is second round or round of 32. What do I think actually will happen? With Mika maybe First Four. Without, CBI.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

I agree with those saying a lot depends on Mika. My entire expectations is an absolute so not all my expectations rest on him but a lot does. I think Haws and Childs will be improved and possibly some of the others. Emery had some good defensive games but still seems to want to be a 3 point shooter. I'd like to see all of them play more team ball on both offense and defense. Until I know about these things and new players coming in I'll wait to vote. I am for sure hoping for a much better year next year and you made us think of that so thanks Hawk.